What are some songs that took you years to start liking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lemon
Numb
-- These two songs, I heard them for the first time when I saw the video's, and I think the extreme close up of Macphisto's mouth and the feet in the face kinda freaked me out. Now I like Numb. As for Lemon, I still don't love falsetto's, but I'm getting used to it.

Zoo Station
-- When I first heard it, I just thought, "What the fuck was that?!" I kept skipping it for a little while, but then it came on my iPod while I was walking -- It is SO much better to listen to when you're moving!

Stuck in a Moment
-- I only like the accoustic version, but I just can't get over the lyrics. I've dealt with depression. You don't tell someone at risk of committing suicide to "Get themselves together." That just makes things worse.

Most of The Unforgettable Fire album. This is without a doubt the album that has grown the most on me.

I didn't like Gone at first because I had just been at the dentist and the screaming guitar reminded me of a dentist drill! Now I love it.

Stefan said:
Most of The Unforgettable Fire album. This is without a doubt the album that has grown the most on me.

First I heard this album i hated it, then it grew on me and its my favourite album.

For me it's Please. The Rotterdam version helped me to listen to it in a new light, and now I really like it a lot.

Besides that, So Cruel. I liked it and all, but now, really love the song, the lyrics mean more to me now than in 1991, I suppose.

zoo station
please
discotheque
mofo

most of the pop album, really.

and although it hasn't been "years" yet, yahweh took a while to grow on me. skipped it every time at first, but now i love it.

Zootlesque said:

:scratch: How the hell did you know he was referring to Zoo Station? From here it looks like he hasn't named a single song in his post!

That's what I was just about to say.
peoples.gif

Re: Re: What are some songs that took you years to start liking?

MrBrau1 said:

What song are you talking about?

OOPS. I'm such a dork. I was talking about Zoo Station. I changed the title heh heh.

I also took me a couple years to get into Where the Streets Have No Name, Love is Blindness, When I Look at the World, Peace on Earth and New York.

Last edited:
Meghan said:
LI only like the accoustic version, but I just can't get over the lyrics. I've dealt with depression. You don't tell someone at risk of committing suicide to "Get themselves together." That just makes things worse.
Hah, I like that angle:

BONO PUSHED MICHAEL HUTCHENCE OVER THE EDGE!

THEN WROTE A SONG ABOUT IT!

AND IT'S NOT EVEN THAT GREAT!

Bad
I didn't like the song at all for years, but then I heard the Bologna 1985 12-minute version. From then, it's one of my favorites.
If You Wear That Velvet Dress
Miami(live version rules)

I'll have to say...

Ultraviolet (Light My Way)

I never HATED this song. I always thought it was really good... but I never appreciated it the way I do now. It's one of my top 5 U2 songs now.

Bono's soaring vocals during the verses

"I remember when we could sleep on stones, but now we lie together in whispers and moans...."

--they give me chills

Lemon
Playboy Mansion
Stuck in a Moment
Zoo Station

(these are all popular answers it seems. interesting how the same ones tend to be growers for so many people.)

Miami and Bad were both much improved by the live versions.

I'd probably also say The First Time

Indian Summer Sky.

Couldn't stand it for the longest time. Listened again just the other day and was blown away.

The Wanderer

It took me a long time to accept that it was U2 song but it wasn't Bono singing it. But once I listened to the lyrics, the song really started to grow on me. Johnny Cash :up:

Back
Top Bottom