Week 70 - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-05-2002, 09:58 PM   #21
War Child

Local Time: 07:29 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by cm:

Now clean up those record stores for me in Joshua Tree, CA!
Curt

MWUHAHAHA There are NO record stores in Joshua Tree. We do, however, have a rock climbing store, several coffee bars, and Coyote Corner

Old 03-06-2002, 02:05 AM   #22
cm
The Fly

Local Time: 09:29 AM
The last comment about Hits updating with sales from the south made me wonder where in the US does U2 have great or poor sales?

For the past 3 or so weeks, ATYCLB has been in the top 10 in sales in the Twin Cities metro(Minneapolis/St.Paul 7 county area) according to a weekly chart in the Minneapolis StarTribune. I believe they were even in the top 5 one or two of those weeks.

Curt

p.s. Whenever I am in a record shop I always tidy up the U2 section. Anyone else do this or should I see a shrink?

Old 03-06-2002, 02:52 AM   #23
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by cm:

p.s. Whenever I am in a record shop I always tidy up the U2 section. Anyone else do this or should I see a shrink?
definitely

Hi Curt, whats up?

Old 03-06-2002, 12:59 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:29 PM
Damn, no soundscan figures yet, but of course, I am never satisfied with the current week, I am always looking ahead!

For week 71, things are off to a great start. Like I stated before, week 70 is only representing 3 days of grammy affected sales. This week the trend seems to continue as ATYCLB rises from number 5 to number 3 on Amazon and from number 11 to number 3 on cdnow.com. This is the highest I have seen it at cdnow for over a year.

So if this keeps up U2 may have a second week in the top 10 (if they are even in the top 10 this week)

Hope we get those numbers soon!!
Old 03-06-2002, 01:25 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Here are the numbers!!

My prediction was correct! at least my updated prediction

U2 came in at number 10! with sales of 81,287

And U2 are now above Creed!!!!!!!!

Here is the top 15

1 * MORISSETTE*ALAN|UNDER RUG SWEP 215325
2 * O BROTHER WHERE|SOUNDTRACK 209227
3 * MINOGUE*KYLIE|FEVER 114728
4 * KEYS*ALICIA|SONGS IN A MINOR 102866
5 LINKIN PARK|HYBRID THEORY 96662
6 JACKSON*ALAN|DRIVE 96196
7 LOPEZ*JENNIFER|J TO THA LO! 88086
8 LUDACRIS|WORD OF MOUF 82915
9 * CHER|LIVING PROOF 82212
10 * U2|ALL THAT YOU CAN'T LEAVE BE 81287
11 PINK|MISSUNDAZTOOD 68612
12 CREED|WEATHERED 68127
13 * VARIOUS ARTISTS|GRAMMY NOM 200 67689
14 * INDIA.ARIE|ACOUSTIC SOUL 67181
15 * XECUTIONERS|BUILT FROM SCRATCH 66844

There you have the top 15 and their sales for this week.

Yeah!!!!!
Old 03-06-2002, 03:31 PM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:29 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by womanfish:
Damn, no soundscan figures yet. Hope we get those numbers soon!!
Ya just had to ask for them - real nice. Who do you think "docu2" is in that thread? Oh, and don't worry PopMartijn - I've been watching that forum closely. If you ask too early in the morning or don't appear grateful, they get nasty. I find that usually someone will post the data on their own. However, once it hit noon-ish and there still wasn't a post with the data, I thought I'd ask - but in a SUPER nice way. And note the nice response in kind. However, next week, we should just wait, I'm sure it'll be posted.

[This message has been edited by doctorwho (edited 03-06-2002).]
Old 03-06-2002, 04:38 PM   #27
The Fly

U2 also makes a big jump on the Canadian charts.

It is at Number 8 this week with sales of about 6,500 up from mid 20s last week and sales of about 3,200.

This is the highest since the Xmas season of 2000.

Total Canadian sales of ATYCLB are at about 525,000.
Old 03-06-2002, 04:48 PM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

ChangetheTemperature: Do you have ATYCLB total Canadian chart run? I monitored it for a year, but then, due to a very busy schedule, stopped. If you go back into older threads on this forum, you should be able to get the first 52 weeks or so on the Canadian charts - I just need you to fill in the last 18 weeks.

Also, for those in the know about SoundScan and Billboard charts, I saw the following:

131 MONN 135 149 154 DIXIE CHICKS|FLY 8560 8823

That first number is the weeks on the chart. Why is the Dixie Chicks' album still in the Top 200? It's been charting well below #100 for the last three weeks and it has been out for well over 2 years. According to the rules I've read, it should have shifted to the Catalog charts by now. I know that SoundScan records Catalog data too, so why is this album still in the Top 200?
Old 03-06-2002, 07:56 PM   #29
The Fly

I just have to past this post here from last Thursday...

Well, I am stuck in a hospital room, and have been watching TV pretty much around the clock since the Grammies. Just about every news channel. I also have probably surfed the entire web.

I was on that same roller coaster last night...it started off awesome, then I got sick of the Marmaladies and Keys, was mildly entertained by the tunes played from O Brother, stunned by the Album award, but then happy again when U2 won at the end. In fact, my wife said it just seemed like a U2 awards show. They started it off, played by far the best song live, won a few more in the middle, and then ended the show as well.

So I tried to objectively watch the news today. It pretty much came across the same way all day - U2, Keys, and O Brother steal the grammies. Not always in that order, but pretty balanced just the same. I've found many articles on the web along those same lines. What's interesting, and I guess to be expected, is that U2 headlines almost all the Grammy headlines outside of the U.S.

So, in the end, 7 grammies for this album is well deserved. If this thread is really about predictions, then I'll make one here. Last year, I think the 3 grammies for BD bumped them all the way to 11. This year, I think the 4 grammies will take them one spot higher, maybe two. Not bad, not bad at all.

P.S. The best article is the ESPN diary over on youtwo.net. Those guys are always cracking me up, and even with their jabs at Bono, you can tell they are big fans.

Old 03-06-2002, 10:34 PM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I received the full SoundScan report from Melissa! Yay! It's late tonight, but I'll try to post more details tomorrow (Thurs.) or on Fri. Any particular questions any of you have now about data for this week?
Old 03-07-2002, 01:03 AM   #31
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by doctorwho:
Also, for those in the know about SoundScan and Billboard charts, I saw the following:

131 MONN 135 149 154 DIXIE CHICKS|FLY 8560 8823

That first number is the weeks on the chart. Why is the Dixie Chicks' album still in the Top 200? It's been charting well below #100 for the last three weeks and it has been out for well over 2 years. According to the rules I've read, it should have shifted to the Catalog charts by now. I know that SoundScan records Catalog data too, so why is this album still in the Top 200?
I don't know for sure, but it might be that the Chicks still have a single out from that album. I remember reading a couple of months ago on Billboard.com that somebody had the same question. IIRC, the answer was that a record company can ask SoundScan/Billboard not to move the album to the catalog chart as the record company maybe expects a rise in the coming weeks due to a new single.
If anyone can check if this is the case with the Chicks (a new single out from that album), we might know the answer.

[added]

I just did the check myself. The Dixie Chicks are #7 on the Hot Country chart with a single (album cut) that appears on Fly.

[/added]

C ya!

Marty

------------------
People criticize me but I know it's not the end
I try to kick the truth, not just to make friends

Spearhead - People In Tha Middle

[This message has been edited by Popmartijn (edited 03-07-2002).]
Old 03-07-2002, 01:05 AM   #32
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by doctorwho:
I received the full SoundScan report from Melissa! Yay! It's late tonight, but I'll try to post more details tomorrow (Thurs.) or on Fri. Any particular questions any of you have now about data for this week?

Well...

Could you please post the whole info for the Catalog chart? Or, if you want to you may also email it to me (popmartijn@hotmail.com).
Please, please, pretty please?

C ya!

Marty

------------------

Old 03-07-2002, 02:12 AM   #33
Blue Crack Supplier

Hello,

I just want to add that total sales for ATYCLB are now 3,602,429.
At the beginning of this year I made the prediction that ATYCLB will reach 4x platinum before the end of June (either scanned or shipped). Now I want to make another prediction (and not a very hard one in my eyes): ATYCLB will sell more than a million copies in 2002 alone, making it the third year in a row that it has sold more than 1 million copies a year.
(for reference, at the end of 2001 US sales were a bit less than 3,3 million).

C ya!

Marty

P.S. Thanks Doc for the SoundScan request. But be careful, they don't like persons continually begging for SoundScan stats.

------------------

Old 03-07-2002, 02:28 AM   #34
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by womanfish:

And U2 are now above Creed!!!!!!!!

Yeah!!!!!
This alone is reason enough to now post in EYKIW
Old 03-07-2002, 02:47 AM   #35
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 09:29 AM
This is SUCH great news! I'm so happy to hear this.

------------------

"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988
Old 03-07-2002, 02:59 AM   #36
you are what you is

Quote:
Originally posted by Popmartijn:
Now I want to make another prediction (and not a very hard one in my eyes): ATYCLB will sell more than a million copies in 2002 alone, making it the third year in a row that it has sold more than 1 million copies a year.
I hope so!

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it
Old 03-07-2002, 08:13 AM   #37
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Great News!

I will post all the Catalog info. later (I have that at home - I'm at work now), but I just noticed a few more nice things about this week's Billboard charts.

In the Catalog area, U2's "The Best Of" is at #3. However, it did indeed see a decent surge in sales - close to that of Creed's "Human Clay." More importantly, "Human Clay" was finally knocked from the #1 spot on the Catalog charts (by Willie Nelson) and its sales have finally started to fall from the 20,000 copies/week area (down to around 13,000 copies).

More important though is the fact that "The Best Of" is now certified as DOUBLE PLATINUM!!!! That means that both the 1-CD version and the 2-CD version are Doulbe Platinum!

"Boy," "October," and "Pop" are the only U2 albums that have not gone multi-platinum in the U.S.
Old 03-07-2002, 08:23 AM   #38
The Fly

DoctorWho,
Can you tell me where Neil Finn's AMAZING new live CD "7 Worlds Collide" ended up. It was floating in the 80s and 90s on Amazon so I'm imagining somewhere in the 150 vicinity on the top 200.

(I'm a big Crowded House fan and Neil's new live CD featuring Eddie Vedder, Johnny Marr (Smiths), and 1/2 of Radiohead is incredible).

THANKS!!!
Old 03-07-2002, 08:49 AM   #39
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawkfire:
DoctorWho,
Can you tell me where Neil Finn's AMAZING new live CD "7 Worlds Collide" ended up. It was floating in the 80s and 90s on Amazon so I'm imagining somewhere in the 150 vicinity on the top 200.
I'm sorry to say, but Neil Finn's CD did not enter the top 200 (at least, as far as I could see...)

Marty

------------------

Old 03-07-2002, 07:57 PM   #40
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Dr. Who,
I'd like to see the Catalog chart here as well. Cut and paste it if you get the chance. Remember Best Of...with the B-sides is double platinum, but its two disc which means its really only platinum, since RIAA counts each individual disc.
Thats great that the single disc best of is now double platinum, although I think the entire U2 catalog would sell better if we did not have these best of... albums.