Vertigo Video - Cool! Instructions here how to see it

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
PLAY BY PLAY,

Video starts out fairly plain:

Overhead shot of the band playing in the desert with that target.
Bono counts in spanish.

After the count it, a nuclear explosion takes place! Wind and other crap is blowing around like mad as the band plays on the target.

My initial reaction to the video is of disappointment. All the rich visual imagery the lyrics provide is for nought here. The video itself is quite smartly made, but it doesn't suit the song (besides the shaking and quaking, which IMO is a tad too computerised to evoke the violent feeling they were going for). The word "jungle" is in the song, which doesn't gel with the desert in the video. Of course, I'd still take this over the Stuck, Elevation, and Walk On videos anyday.

My idea for the video would be to take full advantage of the lyrics - have it set in a seedy Cuban nightclub, plants and vines here and there, grainy-ish video, a lot of blacks and reds (which are the albums colours), have the band playing on a small stage to the patrons, with Bono playing a double role and as one of them. He would serve as the "protagonist" of the video, the person that experiences the song. No glasses for him. The video begins with a brief glimpse of the "girl with crimson nails", who Bono the diner sights, and begins following, and the rest of the video is chock-full of jump cuts in the verses, and a lot of camera-circling in the choruses, to exploit the title of the song. Something interesting could also be done for the "All of this"... part. Maybe make the girl mouth the words, or introduce a new character (or maybe just a voice in the shadows whispering to Bono). The video finally ends with an explosion of light, to go with the coda.

It's cool, and very very weird.

Why is there smoke constantly trailing behind them?

It's a bit cartoonish.

omg!1i hait disvideo!!watifihaitdaalbimtoo!!!1

No, it's alright though.

You know that shut down "stop" before the chorus of Vertigo that we heard on the beach clips? Well, it's on the VIDEO!

PLAY BY PLAY (cont)

It seems like that band is moving because there is a black jet stream following their bodies. OVerhead shots of this look really cool.

The nuclear explosion has caused the ground around the target to "break" into symmetrical circles with greater radius as it gets further from the band.

The target that the band is playing is suspended and unstable amoungst the elevating surroundings.

THAT IS FUCKING BRILLIANT

I was about to get out of here for good after all this 'haven't even heard the album yet' misery... I'm glad I stuck around for a little while longer!

Nice one, U2.

boosterjuice said:
You know that shut down "stop" before the chorus of Vertigo that we heard on the beach clips? Well, it's on the VIDEO!

its on the studio video as well though :)

sorry by that I mean the threads, that seem to be the longest threads, going into indepth arguments, negativity and analysis of an album that NONE of us have actually heard...:mad:

And thanks a 1000000 maxpouliot !!

Last edited:
Yeah, the abrupt stop is back, and it sounds great!

I wish I could watch it normally, but its so jerky on this computer for some reason...

I don't watch U2 for their artistic videos. I have a ton of other bands for that. Taking that into consideration, I love this video. I's basically a high energy song, and thats exactly what this video did for them.

Also, they're just begging for sponsership from Target.

Jim said:
THAT IS FUCKING BRILLIANT

I was about to get out of here for good after all this 'haven't even heard the album yet' misery... I'm glad I stuck around for a little while longer!

Nice one, U2.

Oh, come on Jim surely you can hold out another 26 days 6 and half hours more.

Finally!!!

U2 makes a decent video

The "all of this can be yours" part where they sink into the ground is my favorite. I also love the last shot because you can see that that target is huge.

Well done.

PLAY BY PLAY (cont)

Everytime the chorus comes, it is nuclear explosion all over again. Wind and radiation blanket the band.

The guitar solo is especially cool. Edge is playing away as it is utter chaos outside the target. The target is clearly wobbeling back and forth. Graphically intense.

The bridge (all of this....can be yours) see's the band sink into a dark hole on top of their target platform. Darkness covers them from all the angles. As the chorus pumps back in, the band is catapolted out of the pit. Bono gets on his knees for "how to kneel" as the black jet stream continues throughout.

So does this mean the stage on the tour will be a giant target? Perhaps a target that slowly turns around during the concert so everyone in the house gets to see the band's front side?

I would love that!:drool:

ramblin rose said:

Oh, come on Jim surely you can hold out another 26 days 6 and half hours more.

Yeah - sorry I mean't all the 'it's going to be a crap album' / s*ld out chatter going on.. that's what's getting on my tits :)

I'm just so excited about this new record. That's such a fantastic video. The more I hear the song and the louder I play it the better it gets..

Jim said:

Yeah - sorry I mean't all the 'it's going to be a crap album' / s*ld out chatter going on.. that's what's getting on my tits :)

I'm just so excited about this new record. That's such a fantastic video. The more I hear the song and the louder I play it the better it gets..

Cool!

That video was sweeet. Definitely got a little dizzy there! haha. Can't wait to see it on the tele!

Initial reaction...OK I guess. The guys all look great but the video just doesn't seem to go with the song. Maybe that will change when I see it on TV.

I kept thinking I was watching a Target commercial with that big bull's eye in the middle!!!:ohmy:

I agree that some wind noise would have helped.

Jet streams behind them?? Symbolizing they are trailblazers maybe?? :huh:

Yes, that scene where they are sinking towards the depths of hell and Bono is singing "all of this...." is stunning. I almost saw Macphisto smiling there in the shadows.

Okay, well if I'm being honest I don't like it very much at all.

It doesn't really impress me at all. What happened, like the other poster said, to all the rich imagery in the song?

And what the heck are the black vapor trails blowing off the band members? Give me a break. How immature and amateurish. It doesn' t even look good artistically, especially in the circular 'target' setting.

Is this it? Has U2 stooped to the level of needing big explosions to make an impact in today's media and generation? I guess they've already done the car chase, perhaps the next single will feature lots of bling bling and scantily clad women shaking their hooters around.

I'm sorry- I don't mean to piss on everybody's parade here- and I'm not trying to force anyone to agree with me. Just for me, this video isn't doing it for me at all. Hopefully the crappy quality has something to do with it as well.

Even the band performance was pretty bland. Call me crazy, but I liked the iPod video a lot more than this one. At least in the apple commercial the band has some energy and life to them. Style and attitude. In this video they just rely on souped-up special effects which, in the end don't even work very well. And the attitude comes off as forced, not genuine.

Oh yeah and the album is going to sux0rz!!!111 j/k :wink:

Roland of Gilead said:
Yes, that scene where they are sinking towards the depths of hell and Bono is singing "all of this...." is stunning. I almost saw Macphisto smiling there in the shadows.

That was the best part of the video to me.

Back
Top Bottom