Unsung Hero - Adam Clayton

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gonna Run 2 U

New Yorker
Man this guy really is the backbone of the band along with larry. He doesnt get enough of the credit he deserves. His bassline on COBL is amazing..very talented rhythmic bassist. I mean the list of sweet basslines goes on and on (two hearts, wow)....:up: to Adam!

early days adam = totally totally amazing. he still does great stuff now, especially on Pop, but early days adam was seriously one of the funkiest, coolest, most original bass players.

I think he and Larry sometimes get over-criticized, but I think of most of my favorite bands he's not one of the better bass guitarists.

I think since Pop, Adam has been a damn fine bass player, full of inventive parts, deep grooves, and great modesty. The man knows how to serve the song, but he also knows how to obfuscate same-old, same-old chord changes by clever lines.

I would, however, say that his early days are somewhat marred by some pretty cool parts overshadowed by a crappy tone, inability to groove, and some farty pickwork, especially live. He used to be a bit lumbering. Studio stuff turned out okay, but he was not a phenomenal bass player in the beginning.

But, I am super impressed by the musician he has turned into in the last fifteen years or so. IMO, he is definitely an unsung hero these days.

Back
Top Bottom