Unpopular U2 Songs That You Like

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Both of these songs give me the total U2 feeling, I love them.
Though I feel Miracle Drug has never worked out live, but I liked some of Bono's speeches before that song, some of the things he said were very moving, also the story behind it, and it helped me appreciate the song even more.
With both songs, I'd say, the studio version is better than the live version, which is rare for U2 songs.

I know that U2 feeling you are talking about very well!!!:love:
However I get that more from The Joshua Tree, Unforgettable Fire, Miracle Drug and Walk On just seem like cheap watered down versions of something much much better.

I know that U2 feeling you are talking about very well!!!:love:
However I get that more from The Joshua Tree, Unforgettable Fire, Miracle Drug and Walk On just seem like cheap watered down versions of something much much better.

Sorry about the bad grammer there! There should be a full stop after The Unforgettable Fire.:reject:

Unpopular U2 songs I've enjoyed are:

1) Daddy's Gonna Pay...: Seems people really hate this song, but I've always liked its industrial sound and the very odd and ambiguous imagery created by the lyrics.

2) All Because of You: A song attacked almost because it was a rocking song - yet, it seemed this is what fans wanted. U2 delivered, yet it wasn't appreciated. Very puzzling. I like the ambiguity of the lyrics - who is the "you" in the song? A loved one? A parent? God? All of the above? The song is short, simple and rocks - and we hear a Bono scream! What's not to like?

3) Wild Honey: Seems to be one of the most loathed songs on ATYCLB. Routintely I hear people call this a filler. I'm not sure why? Bono's vocals reach heights not heard since the 80's, bringing extra life to a simple song that could easily be paired with "In a Little While".

4) A Room at Heartbreak Hotel: It's a b-side, but one of my favorite. The sounds is VERY late 80's and the song does seem a bit trapped in that era. But it's also one of the few times U2 allowed obvious outside back-up singers to appear on one of their tracks. Plus, this theme was explored several times by Bono, more successfully, perhaps, with "Hold Me...Kill Me". Fame and success come with a price, and I feel this song first captures Bono's views on that topic.

Finally, I shall proclaim my undyling love for RED LIGHT. Subtract "love" about 348 times, and what you have is a great song, that pairs up brilliantly with Surrender. Edge's guitar playing is excellent - subtle, atmospheric, and powerful (harmonics! gimme gimme more), the trumpets are sick, the girls are great, the outro is sweet.

Next, we have the unfairly denounced STRANGER IN A STRANGE LAND. An interesting lyric, Bono not screaming his lungs out throughout the song, and that cascading intro, and the sick, sick, sick chorus/outro. Damn, I'm gonna get baked and listen to October tonight. Such a friggin' good album.

Elvis Presley... magical mystery tour through Bono's subconscious. That slowed-down reversed backing track works brilliantly - it sounds like no other instrument I've heard, yet the melody is there. It's also placed brilliantly right before MLK.

Some Days - as a previous poster pointed out, the lyrics aren't bad in places, and the music keeps me interested, with an un-U2 feel to it.

Pretty much everything on Pop. If you hate Miami, go and listen to the live version, and you'll agree that the song is very much salvageable, to say the least.

Yahweh - I just don't get the hatred this song inspires from this board. To me, it has the only really good set of lyrics on Bomb, and it's melodic, yet not obvious. Dense wall-ish of sound makes for interesting headphone listening. They should have saved this for the next album, as thematically, it seems like it might fit better.

And by the way, not to sound like a wanker, but Heartland is probably like in the top 10 of most liked non-single U2 songs by fans - my guess. So how you guys think it's unpopular, I have no idea.

Red Light - not that it's the best they've ever done, but it's good
Love Rescue me - see Red Light (+ some really killer lines in there)
The Wanderer - I wouldn't call it hated but still gets quite a bit of stick while it's obviously brilliant
Miami - they had an idea, they executed the idea, it sounds good
don't understand why people think the live version is that much better cause of some more obvious guitar lines
Stuck in a moment ... - it's brilliant
Peace on Earth - it's brilliant
Grace - not brilliant but still excellent
Man and a Woman - me like
Crums on your Table - great tune
Yahweh - love the guitars here, love it

I really don't get why Playboy Mansion gets mentioned here
horrific lyrics (yes, I get the meaning OH YES they sound horrible)
completely boring (a producer + Edge on auto pilot is not something you often find in 1 U2 song)
barely saved from being completely half arsed by a great outro
==> this song isn't hated enough :up:

Miami - they had an idea, they executed the idea, it sounds good
don't understand why people think the live version is that much better cause of some more obvious guitar lines

Yeah same here. I don't see how the live version is that much better. I like the album version just fine.

SOME DAYS ARE BETTER THAN OTHERS: cool funky bassline, i like the lyrics and its defenitely cool stuff
MIAMI and THE PLAYBOY MANSION: i alway liked these great songs
GRACE: a wonderful song and a perfect closer for an album
ONE STEP CLOSER: the best song of the last album and by far a much better realization of the same theme as in cheesy SYCMIOYO

I've always liked "Walk to the Water," I don't hear that song talked about too much :shrug:

Fire, I Fall Down and Surrender. It might sound like I am an old fan choosing those songs, but i only got into in U2 in 1995 but these early tracks have something about them I really like, would be great to hear them live, as I was pleased to hear they played Into The Heart and Electric Co on the last tour.

Back
Top Bottom