(Un)Official "Bomb" Drop-outs List

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Utoo

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
I'm compiling a list of the songs we know of so far from the HTDAAB Sessions that didn't make it to the album. I know they've been discussed, but a quick search for a few on the forums wasn't very useful. Half of what I've got may be wrong, so I could use some help. Here's what I've got so far:

1. Neon Lights
- Released: Yes
- How Released: Vertigo Single #2

2. Northern Star
- How Released: ???

3. Treason

4. Saturn's Rings
- Released: ???

5. Smile
- How Released: iTunes Complete U2

6. Mercy
- How Released: Bono apparently gave a cd of works-in-progress to a fan and said, "Look out for 'Mercy'--it's my favorite" or something like that. ***Do we really believe this?? Bono's been known to lose his CDs/notes/laptop or have them stolen, but I really can't see him just giving out works-in-progress to random fans....:huh:

7. Native Son (alternate Vertigo)

8. Xanax & Wine (alternate Fast Cars)

9. Are You Gonna Wait Forever
- How Released: Vertigo Single #1

10. Alternate versions of SYCMIOYO, ABOY, Yahweh

I know I'd seen Northern Star and Treason floating around once on Ares, the torrent program I often use. I was stupid and didn't download them, as I hadn't heard of them before & thought someone had just renamed a few of the Salome/AB Outtakes songs and was advertising them as new HTDAAB songs. Now, after hearing the names mentioned a good bit, I wish I had downloaded them--especially since they're no longer on Ares! :banghead:

Saturn's Rings--I haven't heard too much about & don't know if it's been released at all.

Mercy---Do we really believe that story?? :eyebrow:

**If anyone can add or edit this list, I'd be very thankful!! :yes:

Utoo said:
6. Mercy
- How Released: Bono apparently gave a cd of works-in-progress to a fan and said, "Look out for 'Mercy'--it's my favorite" or something like that. ***Do we really believe this?? Bono's been known to lose his CDs/notes/laptop or have them stolen, but I really can't see him just giving out works-in-progress to random fans....:huh:

this isn't true I'm afraid. before someone comes in acting like this subject is a matter of life or death berating you for getting a small fact wrong I'll tell you.

Bono once mentioned 'Watch out for Mercy, etc...' to a fan, and this same fan was ['coincidentally'] given a copy of 'How To...' with 'Mercy' at the end, for whatever reason. I think the album was standard sound quality whereas Mercy is 'unmastered' and has a fair few generations of audio murk on it.

I don't think they found out how the track got on there and some will argue that the whole issue is a bit 'iffy' to put it one way, but somehow the story was twisted to say that Bono went and literally handed this track to someone, when he didn't.

hope that helps.

Last edited:
Re: Re: (Un)Official "Bomb" Drop-outs List

gareth brown said:

this isn't true I'm afraid. before someone comes in acting like this subject is a matter of life or death berating you for getting a small fact wrong I'll tell you.

Bono once mentioned 'Watch out for Mercy, etc...' to a fan, and this same fan was ['coincidentally'] given a copy of 'How To...' with 'Mercy' at the end, for whatever reason. I think the album was standard sound quality whereas Mercy is 'unmastered' and has a fair few generations of audio murk on it.

I don't think they found out how the track got on there and some will argue that the whole issue is a bit 'iffy' to put it one way, but somehow the story was twisted to say that Bono went and literally handed this track to someone, when he didn't.

hope that helps.

Hmm.....that's interesting. But is it even harder to believe that coincidence? Pretty crazy if it happened, though! Thanks :yes:

"Neon Lights" was recorded during the Pop period, and "Are You Gonna Wait Forever?" was an ATYCLB leftover (I think?), so they don't count as leftovers from the HTDAAB sessions.

Utoo said:

2. Northern Star

3. Treason

4. Saturn's Rings

Ok where are these? I haven't heard of any of these?

thanks for the info on AYGWF. I got it via email & so don't have the liner notes---one of the big drawbacks of not getting the original. :yes:

what's the deal with Northern Lights, Treason & Saturn's Rings? Anyone?

Re: Re: (Un)Official "Bomb" Drop-outs List

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Ok where are these? I haven't heard of any of these?

didn't see your post before I wrote mine. :reject:

These three have all been mentioned several times here on Interference as titles of songs that weren't used on HTDAAB. I don't know when they were first mentioned, how they came about, nor if anyone has actually heard them. That said, I have personally seen both Northern Lights and Treason listed on a music trading program (Ares), but stupidly didn't download them to see what they were. I'm really curious to see what anyone knows about those three especially...

Re: Re: Re: (Un)Official "Bomb" Drop-outs List

Utoo said:

didn't see your post before I wrote mine. :reject:

These three have all been mentioned several times here on Interference as titles of songs that weren't used on HTDAAB. I don't know when they were first mentioned, how they came about, nor if anyone has actually heard them. That said, I have personally seen both Northern Lights and Treason listed on a music trading program (Ares), but stupidly didn't download them to see what they were. I'm really curious to see what anyone knows about those three especially...

Oh, then I wouldn't give it too much thought...

Re: Re: Re: Re: (Un)Official "Bomb" Drop-outs List

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Oh, then I wouldn't give it too much thought...

I know...I'm less interested in Saturn's Rings, as it doesn't really even sound like something U2 would come up with.

Northern Lights and Treason, though, I did at least see two mp3s with those titiles, whether true or not...

I remember reading something about Northern Star. I think lillywhite mentioned it was a great song left over from the HTDAAB sessions and it was written about Johnny Cash, or something to that effect!

in fact I think it was posted as news on Interference!!????

Neon Lights was recorded in 2002, methinks around the Best Of sessions.

Treason and Northern Star have been mentioned directly but HAVE NOT been released.

Saturn's Rings, I think was made up by a fan if I'm not mistaken.
I have never seen it mentioned in print, the other two I have.

I'll see if I can find some articles or quotes or something on all of this.

how do we even know when neon lights was recorded. if it was in 2002 for the best of, wouldn't William Orbit and Carl Glanville have credit as they both worked on Electrical Storm and Hands?

Rainey only worked with U2 during ATYCLB and he produced Neon.

i think that is the only thing we have to go by.

The files named Northern Lights and Treason are FAKE. They have not been released in any form.

And as far as Neon Lights goes, Bono snippeted it live on Popmart, if that means a whole lot. At least shows he was thinking of the song at that time ...

well I am just repeating what I had heard about Neon Lights. It could be inaccurate. In fact it could very well be from the POP era now that I have looked at the credits etc.

it has no production credits other than U2, so you can guarantee it was recorded in a non-album session. My guess is the Best Of sessions in 2002.

Last edited:
Clawgrabber said:

Rainey only worked with U2 during ATYCLB and he produced Neon.

His first work with the band was on Staring at the Sun (at least that his first credit) and he also worked on MDH soundtrack and the second Best Of.

Chris Heaney isn't credited on anything before 2000 so maybe we can eliminate anything before 2000 anyhow.

I'm not totally sure about "Neon Lights" either, so who knows?

Neon Lights is definitely from the Pop era!

Wether it was work in progress or not, the origins are the Pop sessions.

IIRC, Neon Lights was already leaked in 2000 or so. At that time there were plans of a Kraftwerk tribute album and U2 were one of the contributors, recording said song. From what I can remember, it was recorded after the Popmart Tour (so 1998 at the earliest).

Edit: Oops, should've tried to check things before posting this message. It appears that Neon Lights was leaked in December 2003, not 2000.

Last edited:
Popmartijn said:
IIRC, Neon Lights was already leaked in 2000 or so. At that time there were plans of a Kraftwerk tribute album and U2 were one of the contributors, recording said song. From what I can remember, it was recorded after the Popmart Tour (so 1998 at the earliest).

Good point.

But I'd add to this the fact that Bono was 'snippeting' the song on the 1997 tour so it still could've been worked on before the tour and during the Pop sessions - makes sense.

I'm not saying that it was a possible Pop track, but only that they must have worked on it in the studio before the tour to be in Bono's mind during the tour.

So, here's a revamped list so far:

1. Neon Lights
- How Released: Vertigo Single #2
- Kraftwerk cover; probably began in Pop-era (not HTDAAB drop-out, though possibly finished in HTDAAB sessions?)

2. Northern Star
- Released: ?
- Real Song?: Apparently mentioned by Steve Lillywhite

3. Treason
- Released: ?
- Real Song?: ??

4. Saturn's Rings
- Real Song?: Probably not; likely fictional song title created by a fan

5. Smile

6. Mercy
- How Released: One fan apparently received a standard copy of HTDAAB that for some reason had a raw version of Mercy at the end. How this fan got it is unknown. The same fan was apparently told by Bono to "Watch out for Mercy," as it was a song Bono apparenlty liked. The fan then apparently leaked Mercy.
**Honestly, this story is just as dodgy to me. How likely is it that this fan randomly got a cd that happened to have a raw copy of Mercy on it, and then the same fan was told by Bono to appreciate it---as if Bono knew the fan had the song, AND Bono apparently didn't know that it wasn't going to be on the album.. :eyebrow: All sketchy to me..

7. Native Son (alternate Vertigo)

8. Xanax & Wine (alternate Fast Cars)

9. Are You Gonna Wait Forever
- How Released: Vertigo Single #1
- ATYCLB drop-out

10. Alternate versions of SYCMIOYO, ABOY, Yahweh

If you know anything, please continue to contribute so this can be set straight!

Utoo said:

6. Mercy
- How Released: One fan apparently received a standard copy of HTDAAB that for some reason had a raw version of Mercy at the end. How this fan got it is unknown. The same fan was apparently told by Bono to "Watch out for Mercy," as it was a song Bono apparenlty liked. The fan then apparently leaked Mercy.
**Honestly, this story is just as dodgy to me. How likely is it that this fan randomly got a cd that happened to have a raw copy of Mercy on it, and then the same fan was told by Bono to appreciate it---as if Bono knew the fan had the song, AND Bono apparently didn't know that it wasn't going to be on the album.. :eyebrow: All sketchy to me..

Well, I'm not sure when the person received the CD with Mercy on it, but cutting Mercy was somewhat of a last minute decision - the lyrics are even in the book that comes with the super-extra-special deluxe version of HTDAAB. The band thought the album was too long and Larry suggested cutting Mercy. We know this is one of Bono's favourites, but we don't know how the rest of the band feels about it. Perhaps they just don't like it much, but I'm thinking that maybe Larry thought the mood of Mercy didn't quite fit HTDAAB and would be best saved for a later album. At least, that's what I hope.

It should be noted (in case people don't know) that the person who originally got the CD is NOT the one who posted Mercy on Interference. The person made a copy of this CD for a friend and that's who posted it. At least, I'm pretty sure that's right :huh: the story of Mercy always gets twisted around so I never quite know what the real story is...but if I talk to any of the boys in Cleveland (paticularly Bono since it's a favourite of his), I'll ask about Mercy.

"Lead Me In The Way I Should Go" was mentioned early on as a song that had potential by the band, I don't know if that counts.

AtomicBono said:

Well, I'm not sure when the person received the CD with Mercy on it, but cutting Mercy was somewhat of a last minute decision - the lyrics are even in the book that comes with the super-extra-special deluxe version of HTDAAB. The band thought the album was too long and Larry suggested cutting Mercy. We know this is one of Bono's favourites, but we don't know how the rest of the band feels about it. Perhaps they just don't like it much, but I'm thinking that maybe Larry thought the mood of Mercy didn't quite fit HTDAAB and would be best saved for a later album. At least, that's what I hope.

It should be noted (in case people don't know) that the person who originally got the CD is NOT the one who posted Mercy on Interference. The person made a copy of this CD for a friend and that's who posted it. At least, I'm pretty sure that's right :huh: the story of Mercy always gets twisted around so I never quite know what the real story is...but if I talk to any of the boys in Cleveland (paticularly Bono since it's a favourite of his), I'll ask about Mercy.

:hmm:
I searched the site & found the original story of the person to whom Bono said, "Watch out for Mercy." I could post the link, but I dunno how much attention she wants (I've already pestered her with an email! :wink: ). She doesn't say in this story anything about owning the song at that time. I actually couldn't find any threads of someone first posting the song, but I definitely didn't look at all the threads that came up--that'd take days to weeks! I basically searched for "mercy" in threads a few months before the album came out.

As for its first appearance in name, it looks like it was first mentioned in a Blender magazine article from last year. I haven't seen the article, but it also looks like the magazine even heard the song and reviewed it as if it were on the album....I'm not sure about that, though. If anyone who's read the article or still has it could clear that up.. :yes: This article is also where Bono first notes that it's "the best B-side you've ever heard." It also notes that Larry shot down the song after 5 minutes of stating his case, to which the band then unanimously agreed.

Still nothing more concrete in my search yet on where & how the song got leaked...... :hmm:

AtomicBono, be sure to ask them when you see them! :wink:

Last edited:
Utoo said:

:hmm:
I searched the site & found the original story of the person to whom Bono said, "Watch out for Mercy." I could post the link, but I dunno how much attention she wants (I've already pestered her with an email! :wink: ). She doesn't say in this story anything about owning the song at that time. I actually couldn't find any threads of someone first posting the song, but I definitely didn't look at all the threads that came up--that'd take days to weeks! I basically searched for "mercy" in threads a few months before the album came out.

As for its first appearance in name, it looks like it was first mentioned in a Blender magazine article from last year. I haven't seen the article, but it also looks like the magazine even heard the song and reviewed it as if it were on the album....I'm not sure about that, though. If anyone who's read the article or still has it could clear that up.. :yes: This article is also where Bono first notes that it's "the best B-side you've ever heard." It also notes that Larry shot down the song after 5 minutes of stating his case, to which the band then unanimously agreed.

Still nothing more concrete in my search yet on where & how the song got leaked...... :hmm:

AtomicBono, be sure to ask them when you see them! :wink:

You are correct about the Blender article. They didn't review it like it was on the album, but they did mention that it was "U2 at its most uninhibitedly U2-ish" or something to that effect. I have the magazine but I'm too lazy to go upstairs and get it :wink: Bono also quotes the line "I'm born again and again and again and again."

Mercy was leaked not too long after HTDAAB was leaked, if that helps you any. I believe the original poster was U2SJ or something like that? I don't very well remember, sorry :reject:

AtomicBono said:

Mercy was leaked not too long after HTDAAB was leaked, if that helps you any. I believe the original poster was U2SJ or something like that? I don't very well remember, sorry :reject:

Yeah, she was the one who posted the story about meeting Bono & him saying "watch out....etc." I haven't seen a post from her with the song, but I think someone else mentioned her, too

Utoo said:

Yeah, she was the one who posted the story about meeting Bono & him saying "watch out....etc." I haven't seen a post from her with the song, but I think someone else mentioned her, too

I am pretty sure she also posted the leaked song, but not entirely. And I think she got the CD from a friend. I know that Bono did not give her the CD.

AtomicBono said:

I am pretty sure she also posted the leaked song, but not entirely. And I think she got the CD from a friend. I know that Bono did not give her the CD.

Yup, you're right. I just did a better search. She got the cd from a friend & it had the 12th track on it, which was Mercy (no Fast Cars), though apparently untitled [perhaps unlisted on the CD?]. The mystery came in that she didn't know how the friend got it. Ironically, but apparently truthfully, she had met Bono a few weeks before & he told her to watch out for it because it was his favorite. [So, apparently Mercy got cut from HTDAAB less than 3 weeks or so before the album came out.] After listening to the song a few times, she figured it must've been Mercy, as it matched the time-length described in the Blender article. She liked it a lot, was pumped that she was extremely fortunate to get it, and was very generous in deciding to leak it out to the rest of the world through the help of an Interference moderator with a faster internet connection. That leak became this 500-post thread:
http://forum.interference.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=102136&highlight=mercy

which moved faster than even the best of setlist parties! :yes:

I actually feel kinda sorry for her. Reading through these old posts, she was really excited to share it with the world and see what people thought. But it seems that after a while, people really started dig into her for not revealing how her friend got the cd..:sad:...but it truly does seem like she really didn't know. Through the last year, the story's gotten twisted around (though gareth's account above appears correct), the main twist being that Bono actually gave her the cd (it actually only took a few weeks for this confusion to set in!).

So, that's the solution to half the Mercy Mystery! :wink:

We can either get lost in wondering about where the friend got it in the first place......Or we can get back to Northern Star & Treason! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom