UK Channel 5 7:30 Bono Interviewed Tonight

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chrissybaby

Refugee
Sincere apologies if this has been posted before, just a reminder that Bono is interviewed tonight by Alastair Campbell on a programme funilly enough titled 'Alastair Campbell Interviews...'

hopefully someone can record this!

That must be starting soon. 7:30gmt?

Could someone give us a play by play of the interview? Just the basic topics would be great.

I taped it...just trying to transfer it to mpg now. First time I've tried this so keep your fingers crossed. A wise man once said.."Let's hope this shit works" :)

Might take a little while...but I'll upload as soon as poss

Some random ramblings on the interview as i remember them for those that care:

He said Edge was pissed off that he met Bush but that he was pleasntly suprised with the cash he'd got out of him for Africa, wouldnt be drawn on Bush vs Kerry or Howard vs Blair....
lots of stuff about whether the Africa work was driven by ego, he said he supposed it was to a certain extent but so what...?
Spoke about his Dad and grief, saying that he could walk down the street and cry for no reason...
Said he was as happy in a Catholic or Protestant church, and that he still read the bible... Including Gideons in hotels.... reaches for it in the morning to see what it says about curing hangovers!!!
Came out with the '2 crap albums and we're out' routine...
Said the band had an understanding with their audience, almost like a massive cult following....
Says waking up with a melody in his head and taking it to the band is still what he loves doing most...
Claimed that Blair was a very gifted man but he wanted to put him in a headlock over Iraq!!!
Said the album was very personal and about his Dad, 'Atomic Bob' he's mentioned this before...
Said that he still really respects Bob Geldof... And he was there when Geldof did put Blair in a headlock!!!
Said that he would never be a politician because he likes living in a big house...

I'll add to this as i remember stuff....

i've the mp3's from the interview...but i dunno how can make a transcript...i'm not english and i don't understand everything

:(

its uploading now...first attempt ended up at 1.1gb lol...didn't think ppl would be too impressed with that kinda file size so re-did it...the one i'm uploading now is still fairly large (222mb) but def an improvement.

Unf, it could take a little while to upload...but at least its on its way.

Excellent interview. Thank you so much for uploading it.

I really liked the interviewer he seemed to know when to talk/ask and when to listen.

Ok, this silly server won't let me post links yet, so cut and paste this (REMOVE the space in HTTP):

h ttp://s6.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=F950F637AA1DD3B71FF6FE49C19FDD3B

I took pity on bandwidth challenged members, and made a smaller 28 mb version. It is very small, but you can see what is going on. :wink

Thanks for everyone's efforts so far in helping those of us outside the UK in having access to this interview.

You are all wonderful U2 fans! :wink:

YOUR LOVE IS TEACHING ME HOW TO KNEEL.... :bono: :heart: :heart: ;)

Just finished watching it. Interesting. Bono seemed mostly very cagey, reticent, with the occasional splash of candour. I feel we have seen this with most Bono interviews over the last few years, and I don't blame him. He has erected a protective shell around himself, and repeats the same lines we've heard so many times, as a cover. MacPhisto, The Fly, the Fly Shades, the current shades - they're all a part of the same protective covering. He tries to hide the earnest person he is behind it all, because he really is almost painfully intense, intensely spiritual, and uncool -- and all the more cool for that very reason. He's sometimes hard to watch in these encounters; there's an element of self-torture mixed with charm that's hard to reconcile. Fascinating, and it makes for brilliant lyrics and deeply gorgeous music.

Last edited:
Biff - great post. Bono seems to get v.v.v. nervous when the subject comes too close to exposing the Real Bono - you can see a struggle to stay the public bono instead - very interesting to see

Yes, it is a struggle, isn't it? It's like torture, with all the nail biting and squirming and deliberately throw-away answers.
Such a deeply complex person-- ouch!

Back
Top Bottom