U2 wins album of the year

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ouizy

Rock n' Roll Doggie
All That You Can't Leave Behind - Best Rock Album

+

Beautiful Day - Record of the Year (2001)

+

Elevation - Best Rock Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocal

+

Stuck in a Moment - Best Pop Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocal

+

Walk On - Record of the Year

=

Album of the Year

4 songs off the album win, the album wins best rock album, once again the "academy" make themselves look like a bunch of fools by not giving the award to U2.

I have to say above all else, my favorite part of the show was when the president of the academy was trying to make his point about the three college kids being able to download 6000 songs in 3 days and the audience applauded and cheered. Not the reaction that nincompoop expected.

Yep. Nearly 1/2 of the album won Grammys. A total of 7 Grammy wins for one album. Kind of pisses you off even more, eh?

Yeah, I'd thought of that, ouizy.

Apparently Kite, In a Little While, Wild Honey, Peace on Earth, When I Look at the World, New York, and Grace are all really crappy songs and we just didn't realize it.
mad.gif

------------------
The Irish been coming here for years. Feels like they own the place.

All That You Can't Leave Behind is my album of the year! :p

Love,
Emily

Visit my webpage for U2 wallpapers:
www.geocities.com/springtime5348/index.html

Here's a quick point I'd like to make. I find it very fitting that all four singles from ATYCLB won Grammys but the album itself didn't get album of the year. As good as the album was, to me it feels more like a great collection of songs than a great album. When I listen to great albums like Achtung or Unforgettable Fire, they sound best when you start at track one and play all the way through to the final track in one sitting. With ATYCLB I usually just listen to whatever songs I'm in the mood to hear at the moment. O Brother, even if it is a compilation, plays great from beginning to end. ATYCLB to me just doesn't have the emotional impact as a whole as most great albums do (and I'm not just talking U2 albums) - but the singles and other songs in and of themselves do. Think about this.

Originally posted by candyfloss:
Here's a quick point I'd like to make. I find it very fitting that all four singles from ATYCLB won Grammys but the album itself didn't get album of the year. As good as the album was, to me it feels more like a great collection of songs than a great album. When I listen to great albums like Achtung or Unforgettable Fire, they sound best when you start at track one and play all the way through to the final track in one sitting. With ATYCLB I usually just listen to whatever songs I'm in the mood to hear at the moment.

Agreed. I think that on a song by song basis, ATYCLB is probably their strongest effort yet. Taking all the parts of the album, its more than they're ever done before. But for me, it feels a little bit lacking in the way it connects the pieces. UF is probably the exact opposite in that some of the songs seem fairly trivial on their own, but they all seem to fit perfectly into the big picture.

------------------
Change is the only constant

I agree with you guys on this as I have posted elsewhere, but I have a point I want to make as well.

You have to give some credit and relevance to the Grammy's. The AMA (american music awards) didn't even give U2 any awards, they lost to N*suck and DMB. And the Mtv VMA's, they pulled out a big travesty themselves last september giving video of the year to the whores from moulin rouge over BD. That was a fucking travesty there my friends. However, I wouldn't be suprised if MTV gave them an award this year. Mtv tends to be so bandwagon, they kiss whoevers ass that is hot.

At least the Grammys dosen't shun the boys the way the other shows did, even if the voters are ignorant.

My only suggestions for ATYCLB would have been to close it with 'always' and throw 'summer rain' somewhere in the mix and rearrange the order but still keep BD first and then 'elevation'. Also, ditch 'grace' so you would still have 12 great songs.

Oh, and where are you "from" again Madonnas child
eek.gif

It is depressing that an album that has such widespread critical acclaim and wins 7 Grammys wouldn't win Album of the Year, isn't it?

Oh well.. I think they need to realize that soundtracks are bigger than ever and they need to add Best Soundtrack of the Year or something now.
mad.gif
Otherwise I think it probably would have prevented this. Maybe not, but still.

------------------

"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988

[This message has been edited by elevatedmole (edited 03-01-2002).]

Candyfloss nailed it.

I also thought there should be a category for soundtracks, but that still wouldn't erase the above fact.

Also, who says ATYCLB came in second place??

Maybe one of the other albums would have won if it wasn't O Brother?

Originally posted by z edge:

Oh, and where are you "from" again Madonnas child
eek.gif

LOL. My apologies for the rather obscene "from", it's only meant as a joke.
smile.gif
As I tell people who are offended by it, who says I'm not just giving Bono a wedgie?
biggrin.gif

I'm actually from Pittsburgh.

------------------
The Irish been coming here for years. Feels like they own the place.

All That You Can't Leave Behind is my album of the year! :p

Love,
Emily

Visit my webpage for U2 wallpapers:
www.geocities.com/springtime5348/index.html

Back
Top Bottom