U2 Song You Dislike, but that Most U2 Fans Like - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-28-2002, 02:51 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:13 PM
U2 Song You Dislike, but that Most U2 Fans Like

In honor of Carmanah's thread asking which U2 songs we like, despite the fact that most don't, I thought I'd ask the reverse question. That is, which U2 song(s) do you really dislike, despite the fact that most U2 fans seem to adore it (them).

For me, it would be "Bullet the Blue Sky." I never liked this song on JT. There was this exquisite mood created with the first 3 songs on JT and then "Bullet..." comes along and destroys it all. U2 have consistenly performed this song in concert and the ONLY time I enjoyed it was during the PopMart Tour when they really funked it up. That extra funky beat to "Bullet..." made me enjoy it. But on the Elevation Tour, U2 returned to their previous way of playing the song and, despite its message, despite Bono's enthusiasm, despite Edge's wailing guitars, it just never did anything for me. Yet, most U2 fans seem to worship this song.

Old 06-28-2002, 02:53 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 07:13 PM

hmmm...I'm gonna have to go away and ponder this for a bit. I am one of those sycophantic fans that can't seem to help liking just about everything U2 has ever done.

But there must be something....*goes to think*

Old 06-28-2002, 03:30 PM   #3
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Van Diemens land and most everything off rattle and hum.

ACCEPT

Desire
ISHFWILF
Pride
Angel of Harlem
Heartland
God Part II
Bullet
All I want is you
Old 06-28-2002, 03:42 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:13 AM
I completely agree about BTBS. I like it MUCH better live than on the album, but I could definitely live without it.

Also, I'm not very fond of Van Diemans Land either. Edge's voice sounds like he's trying too hard.

*runs away before Interferencers show up at her door armed with pitchforks and torches
Old 06-28-2002, 03:44 PM   #5
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Oh god.. I'm feeling really stupid right now.

Van Diemens land sounds like Willie Nelson is singing.

Am I wrong??

Edge??
Old 06-28-2002, 04:49 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by Sicy
Oh god.. I'm feeling really stupid right now.

Van Diemens land sounds like Willie Nelson is singing.

Am I wrong??

Edge??
I hear ya, Sicy!

Edge has clearly shown he has a rather good singing voice, sometimes even better than Bono (on a given night).

But in that song, he sounds HORRIBLE. For years I thought Edge was a terrible singer because when he finally had his own song all to himself, he came across like this nasally Willie Nelson. Blah.

However, I'm not sure most U2 fans *love* this song. I'm under the impression it's a mixed crowd on this one.
Old 06-28-2002, 05:01 PM   #7
New Yorker

Yeah, definitely BTBS...I've just never loved it all that much. When I got more into guitar playing, I began to appreciate it just for how amazing Edge is in it, but still...

Umm...as for Van Diemens Land...yeah. I - huge fan - but, yeah...I have some trouble with that one...
Old 06-28-2002, 05:10 PM   #8
you are what you is

Local Time: 02:13 AM
I don't really know if most fans liek the song, but I'm surprised 'Even Better than the Real Thing' doesn't show up on the periodical "U2 songs you don't like"-lists

avarage
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 06-28-2002, 05:16 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 08:13 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by meegannie

*runs away before Interferencers show up at her door armed with pitchforks and torches
Wasn't this the whole point of the thread--to name a song that will incite other U2 fans to do this to you?
Old 06-28-2002, 05:41 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I'm not that fond of "Beautiful Day." It just doesn't do that much for me. It's almost like the band is trying too hard to be uplifting. The live version is a definite improvement over the studio version though.
Old 06-28-2002, 05:41 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Sicy
Van Diemens land and most everything off rattle and hum.

EXCEPT

Desire
ISHFWILF
Pride
Angel of Harlem
Heartland
God Part II
Bullet
All I want is you
I gotta agree with Sicy on this one. I don't really like the gospel version of ISHFWILF either- I'm just not into gospel music.
Old 06-28-2002, 05:46 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:13 PM
Mysterious Ways
Old 06-28-2002, 05:48 PM   #13
Refugee

Mofo. I'm sure there are plenty of other people who don't like it, but a lot of fans seem to be really passionate about it, and Bono has said it's the heaviest song they've ever done or whatever, and I despise it. I can't listen to it without wanting to smash the stereo--though I haven't tried for a long time. I also hate the lyrics. To me, they represent what I dislike most about Bono's lyrics--and he's one of my favourite lyricists.

I don't like ISHFWILF, One or Kite nearly as much as many people do, but I still like them very much.
Old 06-28-2002, 06:21 PM   #14
Acrobat

Even Better Than the Real Thing
Stuck
Beautiful Day
Old 06-28-2002, 07:02 PM   #15
POP for GIRLS

wink

Well, everyone knows I hate Pop, but that doesn't count since it's not something dearly loved by 'most' fans off this forum. We're talking about the old standards here. You might be surprised I am not too fond of Bad, Bullet, ISHWILF and MW and sometimes even skip them on the albums but I do think time has given them both a classic quality and sound they didn't have years ago, well that's just me maybe. I've never hated them like I do Pop, but I didn't like them as much as most other U2 hits or songs.
Old 06-28-2002, 07:52 PM   #16
Refugee

Local Time: 01:13 AM
ISHFWILF
Bad
Kite
Old 06-28-2002, 07:57 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie

[color=royal blue]Pride
Sunday Bloody Sunday
UTEOTW
Acrobat

I FEEL SO GUILTY bc I know these are supposed to be BIG U2 songs, but.......I just don't feel 'em like I do other songs.
[/color]
Old 06-28-2002, 08:11 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by speedracer

Wasn't this the whole point of the thread--to name a song that will incite other U2 fans to do this to you?
Only if the U2 fan is immature, foolish, vindictive and has too much time on his/her hands.

I may be foolish myself here, but I would like to think the members of Interference have far too much class and intelligence to be so banal and spiteful.
Old 06-28-2002, 09:34 PM   #19
New Yorker

i think that all along the watchtower is not so good. i know they didnt write it, but i just dont dig the song.

i asked ed, and we both agreed we dont like New York that much. but maybe that doesnt qualify for this thread, because most U2 fans have to like it.....do they?
Old 06-28-2002, 09:38 PM   #20
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by scatteroflight
Mofo. I'm sure there are plenty of other people who don't like it, but a lot of fans seem to be really passionate about it, and Bono has said it's the heaviest song they've ever done or whatever, and I despise it. I can't listen to it without wanting to smash the stereo--though I haven't tried for a long time. I also hate the lyrics. To me, they represent what I dislike most about Bono's lyrics--and he's one of my favourite lyricists.
Scat - I'd like to hear you elaborate on this -- what is it that you dislike most about Bono's lyrics. Mofo *is* much different than his approach to most other songs. I think I may agree with youl, but I'd like to hear where you're coming from....