U2 Song of the Week

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gherman

New Yorker
Every week we can post one new song and write anything that might be on our minds about that particular song. Lyrics, the first time they heard that song, memories about the song, and/or just a discussion of what that song may be about. Every Tuesday I will post a new song unless someone really wants to discuss a particular song then they can post their suggested song.

This weeks song is:

Love Is Blindness

It was March of 1992, I was 10 years old, and we had just finished putting my brother-in-law in the ground at his funeral. He was 27 years old an was killed when a police officer ran a redlight in London, Ontario. When it was done I was with my oldest brother and he and I were alone in his car and began to drive away from the cemetery. Both of us were just nuts about the new U2 album, Achtung Baby, and he had been playing the album a lot in his car so the tape was still in the tape deck ready for the next turn. Just after he started the car 'Love Is Blindness' began playing. At the time there couldn't have been a more fitting song for the moment. From that point on that song has always shot me back into my brothers car at that time and at that moment every time I hear it. It was sad and a hard time to deal with but as time goes by the memories of my brother-in-law fade more and more, but that song brings me to that point-in-time each time I hear it with no fade.

Last edited:
Haha I was looking at the name of the thread while listening to Love is Blindness, a song I've always hated but since a week I love it, and I thought Love is Blindness would be my song of the week. Then I saw your song.....what a coincidence :D

I don't really have too many distinct memories of hearing the song, but its a great song. I remember when AB first came out and my friend playing the album and just thinking that this album was THE fuckin' shit and all these songs are great and that song Love Is Blindness is completely different from the "old" U2.

The live guitar solo during zoo tv reminds me of the time I was wearing my headphones, jumping around the room, and I accidently pulled my entire stereo system off my window sill onto the floor, smashing it into a million bits, never to work again. Great guitar solo though lol

The live guitar solo during zoo tv reminds me of the time I was wearing my headphones, jumping around the room, and I accidently pulled my entire stereo system off my window sill onto the floor, smashing it into a million bits, never to work again. Great guitar solo though lol

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

fucking hilarious! nice one!

I pulled AB out this week, as a matter of fact, just to hear Love is Blindness. So haunting.
I love that album.

Love is Blindness is awesome. Perfect to close AB, and a bit of foreshadowing for Pop, I think.

The live ZooTV version especially on the Zoomerang leg may be the band's most haunting live peice. That's saying a lot. :wink:

I have to disagree when people say it is a great album closer. If it were better produced and more like the Zoomerang leg versions I'd be their best closer ever. It is too muddy and dead on the album make a great closer. A finished version of Heaven & Hell or Doctor, Doctor would have been awesome in its place. :drool:

I do think it's a great closer. A beautiful beautiful song, and possibly the best chorus Bono has ever written: "wont you wrap the night around me" , so haunting,that image sticks with me more than almost any other from a U2 song. Perfect song from a perfect album.

A finished version of Heaven & Hell
would have been awesome in its place. :drool:

yeah thats such a great haunting piece :doh:

your heaven and hell
baby your heaven and hell
yeah, heaven and hell
your heaven and hell
baby, your heaven and hell
e
yeah, heaven and hell
your heaven and hell
f
yeah, heaven and hell
your heaven and hell
ok organ, just organ ...

There are some really damned good covers of LIB. Three examples. The first is the one off the "Even Better than the Real Thing, Vol 3." album. Has Sharon Coors playing violin. The second is a real smokey slow version from Cassandra Wilson off the "New Moon Daughter" album. The third might be my favorite. It brought me to tears the first time i heard it. It's by Waldemar Bastro from the "In the Name of Love: Africa Celebrates U2" album. It reminds you how damn tragic this song is. BEAUTIFUL.

Back
Top Bottom