U2 on Simpsons question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
He was, he didn't speak Edge, Bono and Adam had speaking parts. Larry didn't, but he's drawn in so he did agree to be in the episode.

I'm remembering some quote like "The last time Larry showed up to do anything for free it was the high school talent show" or something like that. So while he was animated in, he didn't actually show up to do voice work so he never says anything. Ah well!

wasnt anything to do with back problems was it ? or resting after a operation ?

yeah, if you listen to the drinking song edges voice is the only one that i think stands out. i doubt larry being unavailable has much to do with it, seeing as i've heard interviews with the main voice actors where they say sometimes other actors literally phone in from wherever they are to give their voice parts. so U2 could have just phoned from Dublin and not been at fox in L.A

Bono sounds dead English in it as well... I know his Irish accent isn't the strongest, but there was hardly a trace of it there. And Egde has a stronger accent than Bono, he sounded really English too. I'm not doubting they were in it, cuz, well they were. But did they tone their accents down purposefully? Does everyone in America think they're English (besides the fans like)?

SimplyConfused said:
Bono sounds dead English in it as well... I know his Irish accent isn't the strongest, but there was hardly a trace of it there. And Egde has a stronger accent than Bono, he sounded really English too. I'm not doubting they were in it, cuz, well they were. But did they tone their accents down purposefully? Does everyone in America think they're English (besides the fans like)?

It was on today on Sky One in britain , i noticed that too.
It feels like actors were doing their voice lol.

Love it when pride is playing while homer is getting beaten up.

I was listening to it today and there is this one part where it really really doesnt sound like him..but then a few seconds later he speaks again and goes 'that affects the whole damn planet' (or something) and it just has to be him!
They do sound really english - is it only us brits that can really tell the difference between english/irish/scottish/welsh accents?

partygirlvox said:
I was listening to it today and there is this one part where it really really doesnt sound like him..but then a few seconds later he speaks again and goes 'that affects the whole damn planet' (or something) and it just has to be him!
They do sound really english - is it only us brits that can really tell the difference between english/irish/scottish/welsh accents?

" what the bloody hell "

i think thats wot he says before homer goes on stage.

Its strange because we ( brits) can detect changes in american accents :huh:

vaz02 said:

" what the bloody hell "

i think thats wot he says before homer goes on stage.

Its strange because we ( brits) can detect changes in american accents :huh:

i have an audio file of it if you want it?
and yeh that really doesnt sound like him - i was convinced it was actors, but then when i listen a bit later on im convinced its him!

I never get how we can tell apart european accents/british accents/regional american accents..yet no one can tell ours apart. :(

Unrelated, but here's the part on stage or close to it. I love it!

[Band sings Pride]
Homer: Hello Springfield!
:bono: What the bloody hell...
Homer: I know you teenagers want to see these rockin rockers, but I also know you care about the race for sanitation commissioner.
[Crowd jeers]
:bono: Hold on a minute people. The man's talkin' about waste management. That affects the whole damn planet.
:edge: Oh, here we go. [To :larry:] Want to slip down to Moe's for a quick pint?
[:larry: nods]
:adam: Can I come?
:edge: No.
:adam: Wankers. (Whistles and tunes his bass)

:laugh::laugh:

I think Sinead O'Connor is their technical person.

Sinead: You're not allowed in here.
Homer: Take a hike, hoochie!

Last edited:
It wasn't Sinead - that is someone in U2's camp. Alas, I forget her name, but I'm sure someone with either a better memory or better knowledge of U2's immediate staff would.

As for this thread, yes, it does sound a bit off. As U2 aren't actors, maybe their nervousness came through being recorded like this for the show and as a result, they sounded less Irish. Sometimes when people are suddenly self-concious about something, it becomes awkward. For example, start thinking about walking as you are walking and you might find yourself tripping! LOL!

doctorwho said:
It wasn't Sinead - that is someone in U2's camp. Alas, I forget her name, but I'm sure someone with either a better memory or better knowledge of U2's immediate staff would.
That was Suzie Smith, her name is in the credits at the end, along with Paul McGuinness (he asks Homer "Where the hell have you been?!" when Homer shows up as 'The Potato Man').
Suzie has worked for Principle Management for a while now (obviously since before PopMart), and is now engaged to Adam.

COBL_04 said:

Sinead: You're not allowed in here.
Homer: Take a hike, hoochie!

its

"take a hike, Kojack!"

:lol:

also i think that version of Pride used in the episode, is from the Rattle and Hum DVD :hmm:

waynetravis said:

also i think that version of Pride used in the episode, is from the Rattle and Hum DVD :hmm:

it sounds like it!
i still love the 'dont worry folks, he'll get the help he needs' bit!

DreamOutLoud13 said:

That was Suzie Smith, her name is in the credits at the end, along with Paul McGuinness (he asks Homer "Where the hell have you been?!" when Homer shows up as 'The Potato Man').
Suzie has worked for Principle Management for a while now (obviously since before PopMart), and is now engaged to Adam.

Excellent (said in a Mr. Burns' voice).

As I wrote, someone with a better memory or better knowledge of U2's staff would recall her name. I did remember she didn't look like that any more (as evidenced by recent photos), but I knew it wasn't Sinead. I did, at least, recognize Paul McGuinness. ;)

Back
Top Bottom