"U2 has got the greatest live show"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
toscano said:

Oh I "get" it, I just don't care for it as much as you apparently.

It's called "having taste"

it's called "having bad taste".

look, when you go to a u2 concert you can predict every single song that is going to be played - and even the order. you might as well go to the movies. radiohead always mix up their set in a completely unpredictable way. that alone improves the concert experience tremendously.

and i like to see musicians that actually play at a concert. people that only pretend are so overrated :tsk:

radiohead_jonny.jpg

Last edited:
In terms of shows released on DVD, Radiohead's Live At the Astoria gig from 1994 is a sleeping pill.

Saw an unofficial DVD release of them playing Glastonbury in about 2003 or something. A million times better...

Can't wait to see 'em live and in person...

coolian2 said:

You mean fact.

90% of people at shows don't know whats coming next. So they freak out.

I think you underestimate the ability of the average concertgoer to distinguish the difference between a standard routine and spontaneity. Concerts are all about spontaneity. If you want a standard routine, go buy the DVD or go to the movies.

Talking from personal experience, when I saw the Finn Brothers live, I had no idea what their setlist was. There was a great spontaneous energy throughout the whole concert, something I have only felt a few times at U2 concerts (at the times I knew they were deviating from their set). Of course, once I got home and checked online, I discovered the Finns had wildly varying sets and I suddenly knew why the atmosphere had felt so good. It really felt like anything could happen at that gig, that Neil could have just started strumming any song he liked - or any song the crowd requested (he indeed invited and played requests). That feeling is pretty much not present at U2 gigs. You can tell it has been meticulously planned, and even if you personally don't know what's about to happen next, you sure as hell know that the band knows and that the spontaneity that lies at the heart of rock music isn't not nearly as present as it should be. And that's too much like going to a play or a movie rather than a concert.

(This is actually precisely why I didn't bother seeing Roger Waters when he visited Melbourne. I don't exactly follow his setlists, but I do know that it almost never changes. In most cases, I can't be bothered going to see an artist who's not going to bring some spontaneity to the table and change it up. Especially not if his second set is a perfectly choreographed Dark Side Of The Snoozefest.)

Last edited:
Myth, there is no way any of you have any comprehension of the average concert goer as there is no way to measure something so subjective. This whole argument is pointless really. Everyone can say something that sounds "official". Like they have run the numbers or done an experiment to prove it. But its BS either way. When the lingo of "casual" fans, or the "average" concert goer get thrown out there you are in major BS territory. I have done it myself. Thats YOUR perspective or MY perspective. It does not make it a fact.

U2 is a great live band. Most of you wouldnt be here if you didnt think so. You may think other bands are better and thats your "opinion". I think Radiohead is overrated and a snoozefest. I'm right, for me personally. Those of you that think they are the greatest arent wrong either. Its subjective, period. I never understand the point of some of these threads and the predictable responses that really have no merit from the same players every single time. I include myself in this because I get caught up in it myself sometimes. Some of the arguments are borderline insane. The implication that a concert isnt good because they play a similiar setlist all the time just seems to be a ridiculous argument. If you really feel that way you shouldnt go to another U2 concert. Because if you go online you will have an idea of what will be played at the very least. So why waste your money. Get the DVD right? Yet, somehow the people saying this will most likely be the first people lining up for tickets. Funny how that works isnt it.

Last edited:
Flash and spontaneity are one thing but no one has brought up the experience of being captivated at a show. Those are the shows that are most impressive. That's where you find artists like Tori Amos. Those are the shows that live with you.

Axver said:

Of course, once I got home and checked online, I discovered the Finns had wildly varying sets and I suddenly knew why the atmosphere had felt so good.

I see.

U2Man said:
i've also heard that u2 fans that saw coldplay on their last tour had to admit that their show was better than vertigo.

Who were these people???

I saw U2 twice and Coldplay twice in the same venue (different dates of course) and the U2 shows were by far better than the Coldplay ones... By far....

when you go to a play, it's the same play every night. it's still great. the problem is we want to go to the play and have it change. i think the stats indicate that most fans only make it to 1 show during a tour. so that's really what it's geared for. and regardless of whether or not you can predict the songs, it still blows you away to be there and experience it live. i think u2 still has the best live show going.

the only other one in recent memory that was great was Bruce and E Street. it didn't have the flashy visuals but it had the 3 hours of full up rock and roll. :drool:

Blue Room said:
Myth, there is no way any of you have any comprehension of the average concert goer as there is no way to measure something so subjective. This whole argument is pointless really. Everyone can say something that sounds "official". Like they have run the numbers or done an experiment to prove it. But its BS either way. When the lingo of "casual" fans, or the "average" concert goer get thrown out there you are in major BS territory. I have done it myself. Thats YOUR perspective or MY perspective. It does not make it a fact.

U2 is a great live band. Most of you wouldnt be here if you didnt think so. You may think other bands are better and thats your "opinion". I think Radiohead is overrated and a snoozefest. I'm right, for me personally. Those of you that think they are the greatest arent wrong either. Its subjective, period. I never understand the point of some of these threads and the predictable responses that really have no merit from the same players every single time. I include myself in this because I get caught up in it myself sometimes. Some of the arguments are borderline insane. The implication that a concert isnt good because they play a similiar setlist all the time just seems to be a ridiculous argument. If you really feel that way you shouldnt go to another U2 concert. Because if you go online you will have an idea of what will be played at the very least. So why waste your money. Get the DVD right? Yet, somehow the people saying this will most likely be the first people lining up for tickets. Funny how that works isnt it.

I don't think anyone said that the concert isn't good because they play the same set all the time. People indicated that the concert isn't as good as it could be and that other bands were capable of doing something at their concerts that u2 obviously cannot do. U2 has a great weakness there. Maybe these people think that in order to deserve the title "greatest live act" you need to be able to go on a tour where everything isn't scripted to the very extreme every single night.

if i'm not mistaken, even Bono's little "wow" - this moment of spontaneous amazement - during Streets was uttered at the exact same time each night on the Vertigo tour. That is indeed a little lame, if you ask me.

Last edited:
bayou12780 said:
when you go to a play, it's the same play every night. it's still great. the problem is we want to go to the play and have it change. i think the stats indicate that most fans only make it to 1 show during a tour. so that's really what it's geared for.

:yes: They're making the best possible show each time, and that includes scripted things and more - or less - fixed setlist and most importantly, the show dictates the song choice. We already have enough mistakes and missed lyrics as it is, imagine the chaos of, rotating 5 songs each night.

All U2 tours are scripted to some extent - be it climbing the balcony during Electric co, waving the white flag during SBS, letting a fan play the same song each time, having an encore break, having a dance with a fan, having the same speech, playing the same songs in the encore and most of the set...I feel though that if U2 have one more BIG show virtually no one will say a thing about the setlist.

U2girl said:

:yes: They're making the best possible show each time, and that includes scripted things and more - or less - fixed setlist and most importantly, the show dictates the song choice. We already have enough mistakes and missed lyrics as it is, imagine the chaos of, rotating 5 songs each night.

All U2 tours are scripted to some extent - be it climbing the balcony during Electric co, waving the white flag during SBS, letting a fan play the same song each time, having an encore break, having a dance with a fan, having the same speech, playing the same songs in the encore and most of the set...I feel though that if U2 have one more BIG show virtually no one will say a thing about the setlist.

I agree. Being such an ardent fan of a band of this scale is going to reveal some of the stagecraft behind the rock and roll myth. For U2, they understand the importance of creating "pefect" setlist, staged theatrics and all. I love both Radiohead and U2, but comparing them is not worthwhile. The body of work is too different.

The only reason I attend multiple U2 shows on the same tour is to relive/enjoy the U2 Live “Experience”. I think that alone makes U2 one of the greatest live bands ever. It’s not so much the setlist or the way Edge plays a solo, but the friggin energy & showmanship U2 brings every night.

I’m a U2 freak and check these boards daily because of the 1st time I saw them in concert. The energy they create before they even hit the stage is mind blowing. I’ve seen a ton of bands live and nothing compares to U2 Live.

And about Coldplay live……..the crowd was sitting down the whole time I saw them. I love Coldplay but they have a way to go before being mentioned with U2 in the live spectrum.

elevated_u2_fan said:

Who were these people???

I saw U2 twice and Coldplay twice in the same venue (different dates of course) and the U2 shows were by far better than the Coldplay ones... By far....

i cannot mention their names here, since they are interferencers and would risk harassment if i did.

Axver said:

awful and shitty post, ax. f- :down:

Axver said:

You mean fact.

I think you underestimate the ability of the average concertgoer to distinguish the difference between a standard routine and spontaneity. Concerts are all about spontaneity. If you want a standard routine, go buy the DVD or go to the movies.

Talking from personal experience, when I saw the Finn Brothers live, I had no idea what their setlist was. There was a great spontaneous energy throughout the whole concert, something I have only felt a few times at U2 concerts (at the times I knew they were deviating from their set). Of course, once I got home and checked online, I discovered the Finns had wildly varying sets and I suddenly knew why the atmosphere had felt so good. It really felt like anything could happen at that gig, that Neil could have just started strumming any song he liked - or any song the crowd requested (he indeed invited and played requests). That feeling is pretty much not present at U2 gigs. You can tell it has been meticulously planned, and even if you personally don't know what's about to happen next, you sure as hell know that the band knows and that the spontaneity that lies at the heart of rock music isn't not nearly as present as it should be. And that's too much like going to a play or a movie rather than a concert.

(This is actually precisely why I didn't bother seeing Roger Waters when he visited Melbourne. I don't exactly follow his setlists, but I do know that it almost never changes. In most cases, I can't be bothered going to see an artist who's not going to bring some spontaneity to the table and change it up. Especially not if his second set is a perfectly choreographed Dark Side Of The Snoozefest.)

awesome and fantastic post, ax. a+ :up:

When I first saw U2 it was on the Vertigo tour. I knew nothing about them. I was offered a spare ticket by my friend and thought, hey, why not? I was pleased when I went and I connected the band I was seeing to songs like "Vertigo," "Beautiful Day," "Elevation," "Stuck in a Moment," "Pride" and "Sunday Bloody Sunday" that I knew through pop culture osmosis, but had never sat down and listened to. I was your garden variety music listener who knew some famous U2 songs without knowing they were U2 songs and had no particular love or hate for the band.

The show absolutely blew me away. Even from my crappy seat, fourth row from the top of the arena, I was totally caught up in the spirit of the show. Everyone around me was jumping around and singing at the top of their lungs. If the setlist was repetitive, if the show was not spontaneous.... It didn't matter. The audience was in the moment and loving it and so was the band. Oh yes, and Bono's "One Campaign" speech seemed genuine and not tired at all. Even at the time I knew it was scripted because it was part of the show, but that didn't take away from its power at all. If you figure out the right words to say what you want to say, why not repeat them?

After the show I ran home and delved deep into the world of U2 fandom. Now I too can complain about static setlists (or at least read about them, since I only ever saw one show) and the lack of songs from my album of choice. But even if they never play a certain song again or if they keep playing a song I think is tired, I'll still love them. I feel people who go to several shows, listen to bootlegs, compare setlists, and compare songs with how they were performed on previous tours have forgotten how to think like the average fan. I'm kind of sad that I can never repeat the experience of my first show, going in unprepared and being blown away by the songs I did know and even more by the songs I didn't. For the hardcore fan, I'm sure there would have been plenty to nitpick and compare to other shows/tours, but most people were there to hear the music, see the band and enjoy themselves.

elevated_u2_fan said:

Who were these people???

I'm sure there are some. But I seriously doubt they are anywhere near any kind of majority. Its another, let me craft a post that makes my point through fabrication.

A couple of people that posted after me made my point better. U2girl of all people for one who tends to contradict what I say most of the time. U2 has done interviews and so has Willie that explain the way they approach things live. They have done it the same way since they began touring. If people dont like it, then start trolling the Radiohead and Coldplay boards where I'm sure you will find something to bitch about with them as well. Some people are just not happy unless they are miserable or making others miserable. Its rather sick when you think about it. Lets just try to suck every ounce of joy about being a U2 fan we can here. I honestly think that is the goal of a few posters here as there is a definate pattern to support it.

Blue Room said:

I'm sure there are some. But I seriously doubt they are anywhere near any kind of majority. Its another, let me craft a post that makes my point through fabrication.

why do they have to be in the majority in order to deserve to be mentioned? and, i'm sorry but these people are real, it's not fabrication. please stop fabricating.

Last edited:
U2Man said:
i've also heard that u2 fans that saw coldplay on their last tour had to admit that their show was better than vertigo.

Just going by what YOU said. U2 fans that saw both HAD to admit Coldplay was better after all.

Back
Top Bottom