U2- CD Box-set

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gareth brown

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Thank you for joining us Live on the air!
My Pleasure

I have now been working on a U2 CD Box Set for around Fourteen Weeks in Graphic Design Class at my School. I have now taken down all the answers to the Questionnaires. So may I please point out it is now too late to fill in the Questionnaire.

But now, to the point. I have now written some early notes and drafts on what I intend to produce by the end of the course. The Product is as follows.

U2- CD BOXSET
This product currently stands at Ten Discs. This is not permanent, and could either Increase or Decrease. But it is unlikely to go below ten discs.

The Unforgettable Fire- Tracklisting expanded by Six Tracks. All B-sides from the two singles released from original Unforgettable Fire LP. Album will span two Discs.

The Joshua Tree- Tracklisting expanded by Eight tracks. The abundance of B-sides from the Three 'main' Joshua Tree singles. Album will span two discs.

Achtung Baby- Tracklisting expanded by Eight of the B-sides from three of the Singles taken from Achtung Baby. One thought, though, is that this may be a bad idea. As a few of the B-sides are covers and may not actually fit in with the actual album. So one idea is to take some of the more complete tracks from the Three-Disc 'Salom? Sessions' Bootleg. (The stolen 1990 demos recorded in Berlin) Although this isn't definite and the Salom? Sessions may come seperatley as the Three-Disc set. Either way, Achtung Baby will span two discs.

The Following are possible additions to the Box-set

U2- Live at Red Rocks June 5th 1983- One of U2's most legendary concerts from the Red Rocks Ampitheatre, Denver in it's entirety. This Live double album will contain the six deleted tracks.

U2: Salome- As mentioned above. This Three-Disc bootleg is most likely to be edited down to Two Discs (Maybe even one), due to the flood of incomplete, empty, flawed tracks and more than one version of certain tracks. (Early Demos of 'Salom?' offering eight tracks, one of which runs up to thirteen minutes). Salom? Edit will contain the more complete tracks free from howling flaws in the structure of the song and instrumental mistakes!

Out of Control: The Early Years of U2- Maybe a mix of Early Demos, Singles, and Live Material from 1979-1980. Lots of fantastic, rare tracks, unknow-to-many to be enjoyed on this one! Including Magic Carpet, Speed of Life, Cartoon World, The Fool, Boy/Girl. A real treat for fans of U2's Early years.

<Untitled>- A booklet containing infomation on the above mentioned albums. (Chart Pos. Production notes, etc.) and plenty of infomation about important events in those stages of U2's careers. My plan is to include lots of photographs so I may need some help on this one, (see below)

So that's the Product I plan to Make in Graphic Products at School. But now, I'd like to hear from YOU! I'd really appreciate Suggestions, Questions and any help I may be given on this.

For example, my Graphics teacher has advised I actually write to U2, explain what I'm doing and ask if they can provide me with any help, fingers in the right direction, ie. where to get photographic material etc. And I would really appreciate if someone could help me with this. Does anybody know an Address where I may contact U2, either directly or through Island Records?

Well, that's about it from me typing on this. Please let me know what you think. I think it's essential I involve other people in this as it would be great to get opinions on what people like and don't like about the suggested product and what they would like to see included. Not just a product forced upon them with absolutley no appeal to anybody except collectors. A little consumer reasearch to put it one way.

Cheers.

Paddy.

the project sounds great but it should be kept to rare unheard material. simply realising a box set with songs you can get on "best of" or on other albums wouldn't do well for me. Honestly, I would still buy it, but it should be all "must have"

You are off to a great start! I don't think you need to include the studio album tracks because it's the die-hards who already have every album that buy box sets, not casual fans. Releasing Red Rocks in its entirety is a wonderful idea, though. And whatever you do, be sure to include the song A Celebration. I know many fans (including me) were very disappointed this wasn't included in the 1980-1990 Best Of, and to my knowledge it has never been officially released in CD format.

I don't think U2 would ever officially release the Salome outtakes. It doesn't seem like something they'd do. Not that I would mind, I just don't think it ever will....

Paddy, terrific ideas! Incorpoating the B-sides into the official albums would be awesome - provide a more complete snapshot of the time period. Rareties are always a good thing - the more the better.

Definitely keep us posted on how it is going!

This is incredible Paddy, you're going to give me a promotional copy of this for Christmas aren't you? :wink: I agree that the full Red Rocks is a great idea, in addition to the UBS album I have several tracks on mp3 and they are amazing. I can see the point a few have made in not including studio tracks, but personally I would like to see them stay, esp as they are mostly off of 2 of U2's defining era albums. True, it will cost a wee bit more to sell a 10 disc set, but as the "Ultimate" collection its worth it, and there are enough goodies on there to attract the die-hards. I'd keep the covers included as b-sides, some of them ie Paint It Black, Night & Day, Can't Help Falling in Love etc are too good not to include.

I'll send you Principal Mgmt's addy in an email tonight, I'm just about to dash off to work now, that seems to me like the best place to send it. Address it to their public relations dept tho, a letter to 'Bono' or something would probably be put in with a mountain of fan letters.

Take care Paddy, this project is so cool! (ps. in case I forget to mention it later, posted your CDs yesterday afternoon, you should have them sometime next week)

Lol. That last post made me laugh quite a bit for some reason.

Thanks for the input guys. A Celebration, now that you mention it, is an absolutley essential addition! As I said, this isn't all set in stone just yet. So I'll have to fiddle around with some things to be able to include tracks like that. The only amazingly rare tracks I am in posession of are stuff from the really early eighties. Anybody know of any Rare tracks I could get my hands on?

Mmmmm. Tell you what, I'll just pop into Windmill Lane and help myself to a couple of tapes, yeah? ;)

By the time I get this project done, with the fictional product gathering dust on my shelf, it'll be too late to include the new album. (If i did include it!)

I'm sure everyone knows about this, so I may be wasting my time. But for those who don't know the following, U2 have released two box sets! Both Best of albums were released on CD/Double CD and Double-LP. But there was a special 7" Boxset for each Best of album.

Entitled, The Best of 1980-1990/1990-2000 Collection These box sets contained Fourteen 7" Records. With One A-Side from the Best of Album on the A-side, naturally. And a track from the B-sides Disc in the obvious place. The 7" Vinyl set was also augmented with the Best of and B-sides discs in special sleeves and another pair in the regular Double Jewel Case packaging.

This isn't really a box set anybody except collectors would really go for, not really one for die hard fans who crave official releases for rarities etc...But both Box Sets, to me, look fantastic and are very high on my U2 'Wish List' but the 7" set for the 80-90 is the harder one to find as it's much older and to find one sealed in mint condition is VERY hard to my knowledge.

'But hey, enough of my yacking. What d'ya say? Let's Boogie!'

Last edited:
Anyone else? I am now nearing the final moments of this stage of the project. Last minute Suggestions, ideas, must reach this thread in the next hour. (By 22:00 GMT) Before I complete Section 1 ready to hand in in school tommorow.

Not entirley sure...it would be a nice idea. But for me, it would be practically impossible I'm afraid. I have no DVD Burning Facilities and no actual material to burn!

maybe you could do a cd of audio commentary, where you could have certain songs playing softly in the background and then in the foregorund you could read the the commentary from "Into the heart; The story behind every u2 song" for that particular song. kind of like the bonus commentary some dvd's have.

that would be a pain in the butt to do, but its an interesting idea, at least to me.

To me as well, but yes a pain in the butt. :( I could possibly do that, but I don't have any knowledge of how to do it, so I always find the long way of doing things (when it comes to computers, especially when I've done medleys of certain tracks- I 'mixed' 'The Fly', 'Ultraviolet', and 'Lady with the Spinning Head' into one track and it was an absolute NIGHTMARE!) and if I tried to put audio commentary onto tracks, I'd be like Brian Eno working on 'Streets' THAT must've been a sight!

well it wouldnt be too hard actually, if you have sound recorder, which ever windows os has. youd just need to get a .wav of the song, and then record your own commentary using sound recorder into another .wav file. then you take the song .wav file, open it up, go to edit, then mix with file, then mix it with the commentary file and voila you got the song track mixed with the audio commentary.

so it is a bit of a pain in the butt, but not impossible.

Yeah. That's what I do with that kind of stuff! :D I'm sure that's Way too primiative for these days though! Takes bloody ages.

This is a really great idea for a graphics project...I'm jealous. I'm in graphic design in school, but I'm not far enough along yet to where we do package design. I hope everything works out for you.

Well, I'm off right now until the end of next month, but this past semester we made a poster for a retrospective show at a museum, deck of cards, horror film poster (a film pre-1960), self-portrait, and our initials.

Sounds pretty cool! :)

Do you get to come up with your own project? Or are you all working to a certain set of projects?

No, we don't get to entirely choose our own projects yet. That's a few semesters down the road....

Cool. Sounds pretty good to do various things before setting off into one big project. I was really behind in my work as everybody had ideas to do their project on for the next two years...Mr Helps (Teacher-great guy) suggested something we'd be interested in for the next two years so we wouldn't end up resenting it halfway down the line...and I've never lost interest in U2, so that was an instant decision.. but now Graphics Class is haunted by the fact that my really good friend, who was in the same class has suddenly gone to live somewhere else...never said goodbye to her friends or anything. Just let two people know and they announced the day she was bloody leaving..

Back
Top Bottom