U2 & being on televison... a yr. later...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angel

Elvis' Naughty Angel
I was going through some tapes I have with U2 stuff on them this evening, organising my collection, and I came across the Farmclub.com performance. Before they get on stage there is a pre-taped interview with the band in Dublin from early October 2000. Read on:

"Bono- Yeah, it's been a long time since we've been on TV and uh, I tell you why we're doing it- we don't have to do it, people are excited about our record and it's being played on the radio. We want to do it because everyone feels the last time they saw U2 was at the end of a big stage thing and we wanna be in peoples' face and we want them in our face, and we are gonna be on TV and you better not turn your TV down...

Adam... I mean, what we want is that kind of contact again. You know, feeling that people are close, feeling that people are standing up having a good time- that energy...

Larry... In the end I think people want to see a band. They want to see a band perform and something happens when a band go into a room. Especially when U2 go into a room."

With the New Year's Eve celebration coming up and U2's performance on the Super Bowl, do you believe their reasons for being on TV remain the same? Or do you think that after three legs of a year long tour, their reasons have changed?

------------------
"It's no secret that our world is in darkness tonight..."

[This message has been edited by Angel (edited 12-17-2001).]

How come no one ever wants to reply to my topics?
confused.gif
Maybe I'll just talk to myself...

LOL.

I cant read that much right now girl!!

But I will reply cuz I love you.

I am a joke to interland!!! Muwhahahaha!!

Ok SkeeK- what's yer problem? You love me too? That's why you not replying? Oh dear... I need to get a life.

Originally posted by Angel:
How come no one ever wants to reply to my topics?
confused.gif
Maybe I'll just talk to myself...

I know what you mean...you start a U2 topic and looks what happens. Is it that the answer is so obvious to everyone?

Well I think it's a good question. Somehow I don't imagine seeing the four of them sitting around working out ahead of time a yearlong marketing strategy (or is this Mafia thing for real?)...really, many of their appearances must just come along as they have success with their songs and sales. The Superbowl fits in nicely with their original goal. But it may be beyond what they expected, and they might see it as offering even more than just a chance to be on TV. The producers chose them because they thought they could make a fitting statement following the events of 9-11, so they will not only be interacting with their fans but reaching out to a whole new set of viewers.

They have gotten close to the fans, on TV on numerous occaisions and at every show, and now I think its a matter of greater exposure and showing the world the potency of U2.

But going back to Farmclub, this is the icing on the cake, isn't it?

[This message has been edited by DebbieSG (edited 12-17-2001).]

I just replied because I thought the thread deserved a reply, since it's good. But I was busy with schoolwork. Now I'm done though.

I was gonna say that the band's motives remain probably pretty much the same now, but that they are undoubtedly at least a little bit affected by enjoying being the biggest band in the world and knowing that showing up all over the place on tv will further that end. or something like that.

No-one on here wants to talk about U2, for God's sake!

The only reason we are here is to bow at the altar of the selected view, laugh at their jokes, grin at their pictures, throw our arms around them in a "you're my mate" kind of way and laugh at their jokes (again).

Woe betide anyone who should think for themselves!!

Hi Angel!
hey, nice thread - lemme reply for you , b/c this is something i've started to notice, too. and I just watched MuchMusic from 2000 w/ Larry & Bono, and they were explaining why they want to be on TV again, to get back to the people, and listening to a boot durin IWF, bono says "this is a song about a rock and roll band going back after its audience" and I think that's what it's about- they're playing the game that the coorporate rock has set up- the TRLs and the SNLs - so they can get in the living rooms of everyone. It is a smart business move on their part.

And hey, i love it b/c I get to see them more often!
smile.gif

------------------
Show your heart....
Show your heart, and your soul!

*%* U2 Take Me Higher *%*

I've found the more well known your name is, the more replies your topics will get.
I also went over board once and got banned (I was doing an experiment.
So then I had to use another name and start from scratch.

But I've replied your topic anyhow!

And I guess I will chime in here too.

I think they are doing it for the right reasons, however I am a bit concerned that they may be 'selling' it a bit too hard.

However I think everything will work out, so hows that cutie?

DB9

------------------
"...The big guy is made of STEEL." - Bono as we stood together on stage at Boston #4, June 9th, 2001.

---
-curious? click
links for
Bono/Dimon-
Bos.4 Story
Pics..

http://www.arizonaautoweb.com/bono/

http://members.aol.com/diamondbruno9/

good topic for a thread!

I was thinking about this the other day while dubbing my U2 Christmas videos. I was re-watching the premiere of the Beautiful Day video on VH1 when they had Bono and Larry on the show and just thinking about the difference between then and now. One thing in particular...the VJ asked Bono about the teen-pop acts that were popular and Bono said something like: "ohhhh, I wish you hadn't asked me that....well, er the fact is I LIKE children, I have some of my own, I just don't think they should be y'know running the pop charts." And then that classic line, "move over boys, the men are in town."
biggrin.gif

Anyways, it was interesting to watch because this was before the album had even been released and they had no clue how it would be accepted (or not). I think it was a conscious decision on the part of the band and their management to put the boys in the public eye and to take the opportunities that presented themselves. In this particular interview Bono made reference to his family being one of tinkers and that he was coming to town to "sell his wares". Ie. marketing U2. And quite frankly, if that brings them to a whole new audience of people, I say more power to them.
smile.gif

anyways, dunno if that's the kind of response you were looking for, but it's what popped into my head.
biggrin.gif
Cheers!

-sula

Oh I saw this in dougal's thread and thought one particular part corresponded to the topic in this thread.

17.12.01 Joy Will Find A Way

Bono talks to Robert Hilburn of the LA Times on the renewed hunger for rock'n roll and U2's response to September 11.

Q: Weren't you worried that you might look out of place when you took the new music to the TV shows that cater to the Britney Spears and 'N Sync and Limp Bizkit audiences? You could be seen as desperate.

A: That wasn't the only thing. We don't have a great history of doing well on TV shows, which is why we didn't do it for years. We were so bad at it that our records would go down the charts in England when we went on "Top of the Pops" in the early days of the band. But we worked at it because we had faith in the music.

I think a lot of rock bands lost track of the importance of selling the music. Hip-hop on many levels pulled the rug from under rock because they were willing to promote their records. They were willing to go on TV and "TRL." Rock groups were too cool to do that. If you believe in what you've just written, you ought to be willing to take it door-to-door, if that's what it takes.

Well, I don't care why they are on TV...I just lovin' seein' them all the time when I flip the TV on!
smile.gif

------------------
"I don't know you,
But you don't know the half of it..."

Back
Top Bottom