Top 3 Edge guitar performances

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vlad n U 2

Blue Crack Addict
We all know Edge is a great guitarist, but which 3 songs (in order) are his best guitar performances. imo I think The Fly and WTSHNN would be up their.

Your thoughts? :D

honestly I couldn't tell you...so many great ones...he provides so much texture and beauty within a song...I mean songs I think of are Streets, Pride, Bullet, Fly, In God's Country, Acrobat, and actually SYCMIOYO....

those are just the studio versions that come to mind....there's more for sure..

Love Is Blindness plus all these songs should be included if we're talking about live performances too....

YouTube - U2 - '40' - Brazil 2006 :)

but seriously, one may destroy with fervor:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=76Lojsm-rAg

or with precision (especially the last 2 minutes or so):

http://youtube.com/watch?v=QEOaZBwwimI&feature=related

obviously, this one's got the blues

http://youtube.com/watch?v=D8rDgMyToxQ

and I guess it's not a popular view but I find the guitar playing on One brilliant for its subtle funkyness and conciseness, there's a quite special guitar-drums interplay, which turns this ballad into a subliminal funk experience, basically he's just extending larry's drumming except for 2 small transitions and the finale (1:42-1:54;2:50-3:00;3:30-end) there are better performances of this song but this one has Edge relatively high in the mix, so it's good for making this point
http://youtube.com/watch?v=VkFdGE_mty0&feature=related

Im not sure i could nail it down to 3 songs. I dont think anything from the last two albums could be considered as unique.
Think The Fly deffo has to make it for its sheer originality and genius.
Bullet The Blue Sky too for the same reasons (espesh the live versions)
Ad have to say Love IS Blindness also, they way the song builds up to the atmospheric solo is inspirational :heart::love:

1- Where The Streets Have No Name
2- Pride
3- Love is Blindness or Bullet The Blue Sky

Cheers
Gery

No order:

Bullet
The Fly (all four versions, but especially the studio and Vertigo Tour versions)
Ultraviolet

1. Streets
2. Until the End of the World
3. The Fly

its a pity that most people dont consider him a guitar hero, because he doesnt feel the need to solo the shit out of everything.
but whenever i play his riffs im always blown away with how he comes up it.
edge is a genius!

really liking the one tree hill video :up:

All I Want Is You (end of the song is perfect)
Electric Co (especially live)
Bad (proof that less is sometimes more)

1: Why didnt he play the solo like this on Vertigo tour?
YouTube - U2 The Fly Live Boston 2001
And you know one thing, Peter. This was one of the 4 vids in a poll for u2.com subscribers to choose "Edge's finest solo moment". :)

Total Votes for this poll: 3264
Bullet The Blue Sky 25.9% of the total votes. (Vertigo Tour)
Votes received: 846

Even Better Than The Real Thing 4.9% of the total votes. (PopMart Tour)
Votes received: 160

The Fly 37.3% of the total votes. (Elevation Tour)
Votes received: 1217

Until The End of the World 31.9% of the total votes. (Zoo TV Tour)
Votes received: 1041

U2.com | Login

U2.com | Login

1. Where The Streets Have No Name (pure imagination and genius to develop such a song)
2. Sunday Bloody Sunday (tremendous energy coming from the guitar)
3. Bad (No one could have wrote that...only the Edge)

Streets
Acrobat
The Fly

But it's difficult to choose only three... maybe tomorrow I have different choices... :lol:

But I love Bullet the Blue Sky ZooTv Live in Dublin, August 28, 1993 from the Stay single and the beautiful solo from Kite Live in Sydney, November 11, 2006 from Windows in the sky single...

:drool:

1: Why didnt he play the solo like this on Vertigo tour?
YouTube - U2 The Fly Live Boston 2001

2.When I Look At The World
Underrated solo

3.Streets live

I can't stand The Fly from Elevation Tour... guitar's fine, but better in studio, and on the Zoo TV and Vertigo Versions. And Bono's voice is crap, like it is throughout the entire tour. Also, the song suffers without falsetto.

:reject:

The Fly, Elevation tour, no contest. CLASSIC Edge -- relatively simple, yet the accuracy, tone, and power is completely overwhelming.

Mysterious Ways.
Fly.
Bullet.

There are so many more, seems criminal to leave them out

I wonder how any other famous guitarist could think or/and play any of Edges work? :hmm:

Well, it's not difficult to learn how to play like the Edge, but to think like the Edge....that's a different story.

this fact is what makes The Edge, and the entire band, the best ever. anybody can play their music, but nobody else can write it. that's what you call brilliance.

Also, one I just remembered... this is pretty basic, I think, but I love the little solo at the end of WOWY (before Shine like Stars) in the pre-Zooropa legs of Zoo TV.

Back
Top Bottom