The Sweetest Thing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScooterXX7

The Fly
What are the "versions" I'm hearing about? The one I've always known and heard is the one that starts off with a piano and whatnot. I guess its the "normal" version. What are the others like?

The Sweetest Thing has been recorded (and released) twice. Both recordings are piano-based, so it's not easy to explain the differences. The original version was released as a B-side of the Where The Streets Have No Name single (yep, back in 1987!). The Single Version was released to promote The Best Of 1980-1990 and also appears on that compilation (though the original version was included on the accompanying B-Sides disc). This Single Version has some scat singing by Bono during the bridge.
There isn't any radical change between the versions. It's just that the Single Version is more polished than the original one. And for that reason -its rawness and its charm- I prefer the original version of The Sweetest Thing.

I you don't have it yet, try to find The Best Of 1980-1990 with the B-Sides disc. There are a lot of gems on that second disc too!

:)

I just listened to it on U2:18 (the album has leaked online).......I always forget how freakishly enjoyable this song is.....

Same can be said for "HMTMKMKM" and "Electrical Storm".......you never hear much about them (or in concert), but they're wonderfully catchy.

Single version vs B-side 1987 version:

- different Bono vocal (luckily)
- more prominent Edge guitar
- strings in the middle in the 98 version

U2girl said:
Single version vs B-side 1987 version:

- different Bono vocal (luckily)
- more prominent Edge guitar
- strings in the middle in the 98 version

and chorus effect on piano at start of original version (sounds like theres more than one playing for those who are not up to speed with effects:wink: )

Back
Top Bottom