The Showers And The Growers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Miggy D

War Child
Alright, so I'm appropriating a term used to describe male genitalia....but that's ok!

Which songs on this album were 'The Showers', i.e. - stuck out to your right away, their melodies hitting you in the face and their lyrics blowing your effing mind from the get-go...

and which were 'The Growers', i.e. - the ones you didn't like at first, or maybe even hated, or maybe just only sort of liked, but got better and better as time went on?

BONUS QUESTIONS: Did any of the Growers surpass the Showers in terms of 'quality' or 'amount of likeability'? Have you grown to like any of the Showers less as time has worn on?

-Miggy D

if i got it right...

showers - miracle drug, love and peace or else, a man and a woman

growers - sycmoyo (took me a while to reach the depth of the song and yes, probably surpassed the showers) and yaweh

still in love with the showers

adding to this, the songs that i have problems with (from the begining until now):
- cobl - too epic, too streets-inspired
- oots - easy and uninspired lyrics, too much chorus repetition

Showers -

Miracle Drug
SYCMIOYO
COBL
AMAAW:drool:
OOTS
Yahweh
Fast Cars

Growers -

Vertigo
LAPOE
ABOY
CFYT
OSC

I love em' all now...but Crumbs and LAPOE are starting to be played a hell of a lot more on my stereo than say, Fast Cars.

Showers - Miracle Drug, Love and Peace or Else, Original of the Species, All Because of You
Growers - Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own, City of Blinding Lights, One Step Closer, Yahweh

On the first couple of listens, Crumbs was amazing. Now it's great. Sometimes is now one of my favorites, COBL is in my top 20 ever(after being a bit disappointed with the studio version at first listen) and One Step Closer and Yahweh are growing on me with every listen.
Miracle Drug will always be the best. Incredible song.
Still not sure about A Man and a Woman...

Showers:
Vertigo, 9"
ABOY, 8.5"
AMAAW, 8.5"
Crumbs, 8"
COBL, 7.5"

Growers:
LAPOE, from 3" to 10"
SYCMIOYO, from 4" to 7"
Miracle Drug, from 3" to 6.5"

Semichubber, needs more growing:
Yahweh

Still flaccid and hard to find:
OOTS, Howard Stern sized
One Step Closer, pepper and tweezers material

yahweh has really grown on me.
other growers.... OOTS, miracle drug, crumbs
showers.... COBL, vertigo, sometimes, AMAAW

showers:

Vertigo
ABOY
COBL
Y

growers:

OOTS
LAPOE
MD
SYCMIOYO
OSC

OOTS and OSC I did not like at all at first but now love very much! They went from like a 2 to a 9 after listening to them over and over.

Crumbs is the only one I cannot like so far, it seems too disjointed and like it's trying to be 3 different songs at once and succeeding in none. The lyrics just don't match the music in some places. Oh well, can't be too hard on the guys, great album.:up:

Last edited:
Showers:

Vertigo -- 7"
SYCMIOYO -- 10"
COBL -- 9.5"
OOTS -- 9.5"
ABOY -- 7.5" but due to some, uh, recent enhancement, might turn out to be 8.0"

Growers

MD -- i know, shocking, but it had such a reputation for being so big and huge that i was a little disappionted when i first heard it, expectations and all, but once we both relaxed and i accepted it for what it was, it turned out to maybe be the biggest of all! -- from 7" to 10"
L&POE -- 5" to 6"
AMAAW -- 4" to 6"
CFYT -- 5" to 7"
OSC -- 6" to 8"
Yahweh -- 7" to 9"

as you can see, pretty much all of them were quite substantial to begin with. length *and* girth. but the album grows with each listen, filling my ears with more than i thought they could ever handle.

(this is a great thread)

Showers: Vertigo, Sometimes, ABOY, Crumbs, OOTS, Yahweh, Miracle Drug

Growers: COBL, Love and peace or else, AMAAW, OSC

For me, MD/COBL/OOTS/Sometimes are classic-worthy material.
Then come the "very good" OSC, Crumbs.
The ok ABOY, Vertigo, Yahweh, Love and peace

I don't know yet where AMAW fits...

All are showers to me except A man and a Woman. That was a grower. I've been waiting since 1991 for an album that would blow my mind with every song and U2 have achieved that with this album. Finally.

ZOOROPA and POP = growers.

Growers: one step closer -might surprise in tour
cobl
oots
yahweh

showers: vertigo
lapoe
crumbs
amaaw
aboy

nevers: songs I still wont like and probably never will

Sometimes you cant make it: This song totally stings and like I said before, its just as boring as "stuck in a moment". No one has the balls to say this

Miracle Drug: I cant believe folks like this song: It sounds like he's preaching in front of religious cult of some kind, talking about science and babies etc. IT just sounds very preachy and cheesy to me.

snutes1 said:
Growers: one step closer -might surprise in tour
cobl
oots
yahweh

showers: vertigo
lapoe
crumbs
amaaw
aboy

nevers: songs I still wont like and probably never will

Sometimes you cant make it: This song totally stings and like I said before, its just as boring as "stuck in a moment". No one has the balls to say this

Miracle Drug: I cant believe folks like this song: It sounds like he's preaching in front of religious cult of some kind, talking about science and babies etc. IT just sounds very preachy and cheesy to me.

Learn how to spell moron

stings=stinks
wont=dont

Hey snutes1 take it easy on.....oh that's you..

Showers: Vertigo; ABOY; Crumbs

Growers: One Step; COBL; AMAAW

One Step has moved up to the top of the pack. I love the subtlety in this song. It's much more powerful when you sit back and listen to everything about it, and not just the tempo.

Yahweh, is a great song, loved it right off the bat. SYCMIOYO owned me after SNL. Fast Cars was always a fun song for me. Miracle Drug is very good, and will be better live. And finally LAPOE is song that I guess you could say has grown on me a lot. But I originally liked it, I'm just more impressed with it after a few hundred listenings.

showers:
Love and Peace
ABOY
Crumbs
OOTS

Fast Growers (Like a Naked Angelina Jolie walked by) :)
COBL
OSC
Vertigo
Miracle Drug

Slow Growers:
A Man and Woman
Sometimes...
Yahweh

Showers:
Miracle Drug
City Of Blinding Lights
Crumbs From Your Table
Original Of The Species

Growers:
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
Yahweh
Zooropa :drool: :)wink:)

The rest are "still flaccid and hard to find" I think is the best way to describe them.

Back
Top Bottom