the present music scene and U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ozeeko

Refugee
I was thinking about the current state of music and where U2 fits in and it suddenly hit me: U2 can do no wrong!

Think about it. U2 can basically release anything right now and it will be praised and well recieved, no matter how mediocre or mainstream or obvious it is. We are living in such a crappy rock era, where basically no one (above the radar) is doing anything to break the mold and expand rock music. Everything is a complete rip-off, rehash, carbon copy of everything that came before it. U2 doesn't even need to try. They can release the shittiest album (on purpose, even) and still win the Grammy, because whatever crap they crap out will probably be a million times better than 99% of the rock crap you hear right now.

Back in the late 80's/early 90's they had to evolve. It was a dog eat dog world of music. You either adapt to the new scene or rock against it or invent something else. U2 pretty much did all of those at the same time and...as history has proven...triumphed. They even triumphed around the "All That You Can't" era because, well, rock was on the way out, and poppy hit singles were all the rage. They saw the angle and they tackled it head on, while still retaining their integrity (in my opinion anyway).

What I'm saying is, right now there's no gamble. There's no pressure to do anything amazing. All they have to do is release something, and it will top the charts. It's something that scares me, because U2 were always at their best when they were underdogs and had to overcome the odds. What's the ultimate rock scene of today, anyway? My Chemical Romance? God help us...

Try listen to classical music, try opera.

To me, U2 never have to fight with another rock band, because they are the only mainstream rock band I'm into.

butter7 said:
Try listen to classical music, try opera.

To me, U2 never have to fight with another rock band, because they are the only mainstream rock band I'm into.

Well, if you're a classical/opera buff, it truly baffles me that U2's the only mainstream band u listen to. I am quite aware there's a hell of a lot more genres of music besides rock...but that wasn't the point of my thread.

yeah its true U2 dont even have to try because most people will buy whatever they put out because of their name alone, (especially me ) yes their stuff is alot better when they have to work for it , look at JT and AB their most brilliant works, comming out of adversity.
and yes the main stream rock climate is crap , i dont even know what it is, is the trend that EMO sort of stuff?? , if im not listening to u2 i stick with alot of australian bands, who are producing great slighly alternative rock.
then again it has been said that everyone in music owes something to elvis and the beatles . it all stems from there.
I think the pressure to do something amazing comes from the fans, who are always divided by what their best work is and what their direction should be, what we want from them.

ozeeko said:

Well, if you're a classical/opera buff, it truly baffles me that U2's the only mainstream band u listen to. I am quite aware there's a hell of a lot more genres of music besides rock...but that wasn't the point of my thread.

Acknowledged that. :giggle:

There's a lot more types of music than rock, and there's many type of rock than the mainstream rock.

I also like Indie pop, post rock, musical, new-age, dark wave, pop dance music ...etc. I think the reason U2 attracted me is that they are different from all other rock band. They are not that mainstream, really...don't know how to describe the feeling, but their stuff worked for me. :wink:

If you only look at mainstream rock, yes, it's hard for other band to reach the same hight as U2 does. I tried Muse, some times ago, nice tune, so-so lyrics. Pleasant in the hear, but not much to chew from. (sorry Muse fans.)

Tryed radiohead, coldplay stuff, none of them really shined. Talented artist, but I don't know, they just don't have the sharpness to break the ground.

May be we could see another really great rock band, after U2 long gone.

i despise current top 40 booty shaking techno poppy crap it has no soul or higher meaning. alternative to U2 i have tried coldplay, chilli peppers, pearl jam, marylin manson, type o negative, guns n roses, inxs, lots of sixties/ seventies rock like led zep, but nothing sends me into that mania or gives me much emotion. do people feel rock in general is stale , is u2 stale ?
mabey its up to us to break new ground and make our own music.

actually i would say the complete opposite is true. though youre right that whats considered popular and rock these days is a joke, aside from Muse and a handful of others, music is a lot more independent and is going to be more so in the not too distant future than it ever has been thanks to the internet. think about it... in 5 years time, and thats a stretch, compact discs and other forms of hard copies will be obsolete. and when all you have to sell is information, which costs nothing, and when self promotion is as easy as logging on the the internet, what purpose do record companies serve? therefore it will be the peoples choice of whats popular and shit bands will die. there will be no more radio or tv to tell you what youre going to listen to, it will all be up to you. internet really is the new medium and it will be the end all be all replacing everything that came before it. watch exactly what you want, listen to exactly what you want, youre own personalized network. now with that out of the way

U2 could release crap but they could and should also look to rescuing rock and putting the kids to bed paving the way for the true talented artists out there that actually mean something instead of encouraging this garbage and destroying the lagacy theyve worked so hard to build. there are very few actual musicians in the mainstream right now, just simple cooki cutter bullshit with lyrics someone probably told them to say. heres what i say, why not hope The Edge puts out some work this time displaying just what a guitar can truly produce and show people why he should be regarded as one of the guitar legends? im thinking some achtung work but this time without the 'is this what you want' attitude and just doing it to display his 30 years of expertise. completely alter the perception of rock as it stands today. he has beaten the efficiency coke riff thing into the ground. and i would assume the rest of U2 would then follow his lead.

ozeeko said:
I was thinking about the current state of music and where U2 fits in and it suddenly hit me: U2 can do no wrong!

(...)

Back in the late 80's/early 90's they had to evolve. It was a dog eat dog world of music. You either adapt to the new scene or rock against it or invent something else. U2 pretty much did all of those at the same time and...as history has proven...triumphed. They even triumphed around the "All That You Can't" era because, well, rock was on the way out, and poppy hit singles were all the rage. They saw the angle and they tackled it head on, while still retaining their integrity (in my opinion anyway).

What I'm saying is, right now there's no gamble. There's no pressure to do anything amazing. All they have to do is release something, and it will top the charts. It's something that scares me, because U2 were always at their best when they were underdogs and had to overcome the odds. What's the ultimate rock scene of today, anyway? My Chemical Romance? God help us...

well, yes and no.

I mean, look at the early U2 - christian rock, post-punk sound, not very 'mainstream', don't you think?
Then compare late 80's U2, both sound and the image of the band to all those bands popular back then(all about big hair, thight, colourful pants etc.)
Compare Achtung Baby-Zooropa era of the band to most important part of the mainstream at the time - grunge.
And finally ATYCLB released in the time when the mainstream was all about nu-metal, hip-hop and R&B.

I think the strength of U2 is/was that they were alway like an antidote for everything going on in the mainstream.
Different, unique -> and because of that successful.

Now (starting with HTDAAB), IMO, U2 has to compete with bands very much sounding like U2, similar to U2 (but younger of course), or simply wanting to be the 'next U2' (you know who I'm talking about)
It's not their fault of course, but right now U2 is the mainstream.

I just don't think that 'U2 can do no wrong'.
I think they have to become anti-U2 once more.

Last edited:
Well, the market has become so fragmented and ephermeral in the internet age, hasn't it? The Top 40 just doesn't mean as much as it used to - both in sales and in depth, I guess. And the Grammys have always been hopelessly square.

Yes, U2 is pretty much guaranteed a blockbuster upon release - especially after killer marketing campaigns and saturation bombing of the typical media outlets. Mainstream critics pretty much gave them a freebie on the last two releases. I like both of those records, but you're right: it seemed too easy. So Entertainment Weekly likes your record? So what?

But I think that they have a smaller voice that drives them that wants to be critically lauded by maybe some harsher critics. Sure they have heaps of money and mainstream adulation, but I think they are still hungry for that "wow" factor that is reserved for newer, younger, more cutting-edge bands. Those bands will never hit U2 numbers, but they have that "it" quality that I'm sure U2 would love to have.

I appreciate U2 for what they are now, but I hope they can move beyond the easier elements of the last two records. Maybe if the press did challenge them more, they would dig deeper and produce another AB just out of spite.

Only Chinese Democracy, however abominable it is likely to be, if it ever even sees the light of day, has a shot at making real waves with rock music again.

OK here's an example of what I was talking about. For better or worse, Pitchfork and other sites like it are taste-makers among the rock-noscenti in the digital age. ATYCLB got a 5.0 and HTDAAB got a 6.9 (better than I remembered) out of 10.

Actually both reviews probably align pretty well with opinions from this board.

I think U2 likes to think of itself as still fucking up the mainstream, but I think they would also like a bit of the cool factor that is so hard to hold onto as you slip into middle age. Not that U2 checks the site (well, maybe Edge), but it's a leading indicator. I teach high school and to the cool kids, U2 is just not even on the radar.

I'm of the camp that ATYCLB and HTDAAB are different from each other and different from previous U2 work (especially ATYCLB). However, there are indeed similarities between the two albums and in the ways in which they were marketed and received. I have a feeling that if the next album is too much like these last two in any way, there will be a bit more criticism in the press (the "hard critics," at least) than there was with the last two albums.

Only Chinese Democracy, however abominable it is likely to be, if it ever even sees the light of day, has a shot at making real waves with rock music again.

Please, everyone's already written that album off. What Ozeeko is saying has been true for a long time, since mid to late 90's.

And even though they didn't have any true competition they chose to try and compete against electronica in the late 90's and pop in the early 2000's. Popular music is pretty diluted and all over the place right now, so maybe U2 will be comfortable enough not having to compete with anyone and just make an album for themselves!

That's what makes it so special. Creating a mythical album that never gets released may be the most genius thing Axl Rose ever did.

But what's the point if it doesn't live up to it's hype or never comes out, which are the two most likely scenarios, then your career is over.

I don't see anything genius about that!

Well, I think that the actual thing he's created is the anticipation. At this point, the album itself would be an afterthought. The ongoing hype, speculation, mystery, and mix of anticipation and disappointment for the past 15 years has been the real work of art.

Which at the end of the day doesn't mean shit, I don't know how you can call it a real work of art!

Anyways we're off subject.

Chill Mike D said:

We're all doomed.

Canadiens1160 said:
What about Nickelback?

:lol: I don't know. Depressed Canadians just don't do it for me.

Anyway, I would say that it isn't as "easy" for U2 now as it was when ATYCLB came out. As has been said, rock is trying to take hold again, unlike in 2000. U2 aren't the only ones making rock music right now (although, calling some of the goop that's out now "rock" is a stretch). If they want an easy ride with the next album, they're gonna have to stand out. Recent quotes from the band have given hints that they want to go in a different direction, so that may be just what happens. I would not have a problem with that - as long as there's no hip-hop involved. There'd better not be any rappers guest starring on the next album. :no:

try being born into this era it sucks.:scream: ((Musically))
and none of my friends like this music..the good stuff. i made fun of for liking 'old music'. thats all i basically listen to sinatra, classic rock, the new wave stuff. ..
nickleback sucks all of their music sounds the same BOORING!:blahblah:
as for rap :banghead:

Smallville said:
But what's the point if it doesn't live up to it's hype

They they died in 1997. They said for the last 3 albums that it's their best work - yet most would concede JT and AB are their best albums. :shrug:

I think after two succesful albums the pressure is on them not to fail. Add to that the competition of "biggest band job" Coldplay and Green Day in the last few years, and the fact that the last album was probably as U2 sounding as it was due to lack of inspiration, the acknowledged tension between the members of the band due to Bono's activism on the last album, the hints that they are looking for a new musical direction again and the potential risks involved with that. Last but not least, they are approaching the big 5-0 age - something bound to be on their mind given their well known concern with how the public views them. Can they still combine the popularity, and at the same time keep the quality music coming? Or are they already in the irreversible "rock dinosaur" teritorry ?

U2girl said:

They they died in 1997. They said for the last 3 albums that it's their best work - yet most would concede JT and AB are their best albums. :shrug:

I think after two succesful albums the pressure is on them not to fail. Add to that the competition of "biggest band job" Coldplay and Green Day in the last few years, and the fact that the last album was probably as U2 sounding as it was due to lack of inspiration, the acknowledged tension between the members of the band due to Bono's activism on the last album, the hints that they are looking for a new musical direction again and the potential risks involved with that. Last but not least, they are approaching the big 5-0 age - something bound to be on their mind given their well known concern with how the public views them. Can they still combine the popularity, and at the same time keep the quality music coming? Or are they already in the irreversible "rock dinosaur" teritorry ?

Not sure why you quoted me, we were talking about GnR.:huh:

But to your point, these last two albums have been very successful, so I really have no clue what you're rambling about!

the chinese democracy album better see the light of day soon , because i have tickets to one of the concerts on the freaking tour next month ... wonder if it will be a mythical concert with an imaginary setlist ........
:mad:

Rachel D. said:

Anyway, I would say that it isn't as "easy" for U2 now as it was when ATYCLB came out. As has been said, rock is trying to take hold again, unlike in 2000. U2 aren't the only ones making rock music right now (although, calling some of the goop that's out now "rock" is a stretch). If they want an easy ride with the next album, they're gonna have to stand out. Recent quotes from the band have given hints that they want to go in a different direction, so that may be just what happens. I would not have a problem with that - as long as there's no hip-hop involved. There'd better not be any rappers guest starring on the next album. :no:

:crack: PLEASE no rap or hip hop!

I think they'll surprise us all somehow with the new album... I don'tknow how, don't know when, but they will...

Rachel D. said:

Yeah, I don't think it's going to be enough next time around to release a record full of songs that don't outright suck. The next one SHOULD present something new and innovative. The last thing that U2 wants is a "ho hum" reaction. Hopefully the guys sense this as well.

Well I guess I'm in the minority here but personally I think it'd be awesome if U2 experimented with hip hop, but only if they did it right. I don't know if I want Bono rapping. but they could learn a thing or two from rap beats.

i want someone to remix Pop and turn the songs into beats and rap over them :drool:

as for the actual topic, well, yeah most of the stuff on the radio sucks, but there's also more good music being heard than ever before thanks to the internet. at some point in this thread it was mentioned that U2 probably want the same kind of hype that the younger bands get, and I agree with that. It's not just about getting the Grammy. I think U2 want to feel truly relevant. They want the Arcade Fire kids to like them. Not that U2's ever gonna be a total hit with the indie kids, but I think they want to be, because that's where they started. but they also want everyone else to like them.

Back
Top Bottom