The Plan to Leak Mercy to the Radio

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
gareth brown said:
...it's THE riff...it's obvious, why is it even being discussed?!

Someone asked a question:

"Anyone have the version that has Bono doing a lot of Scat singing (maybe in Spanish) and the riff being from UTEOTW? It's over 7 minutes long, and it could be called "Take You Down" or "I Feel Free"."

Why do you care?

I know I'm late to the party, but sending Mercy to radio stations is the dumbest idea I have ever heard.

U2 obviously doesn't want the song to be released commercially - at least not yet - so why can't you respect that?

Besides, I think some of you are severely overrating this song. I don't hear anything particularly new or fresh or special about it - just more of the same new millennium U2 sound. I'm personally more upset that they couldn't even be bothered to make the fantastic Fast Cars a real album track, just a bonus track on the super-deluxe version of HTDAAB.

I think I'll sell a couple of "One Track PROMOS" on eBay...:wink: I'm sure half the people here won't mind...:rolleyes:

Actually I've just been listening to the Zoo TV Tacoma Boot and there's a line that Bono sings during mysterious ways I definitely recognise from the Salome outakes that didnt make it onto AB.

I haven't had time to listen back to the outakes yet to find out what it was, but I will do. - may even be from I feel free.

could someone possibly upload this track? [the above mentioned mysterious ways]

'Take Me Down' is like an early version of 'Lady With the Spinning Head' and 'The Fly' whereas 'I Feel Free' has elements that later became 'Until the End of the World'...:up:

oh yeah, ramblin rose if you read this... your nephew got me a copy of mercy and are you gonna wait forever... i like them alot. mercy would have fit nicely on HTDAAB.

i'm getting rather tired of asking, so one more time...

CAN WE PLEASE HAVE AN UPDATE, ALL THOSE WHO WERE SHOUTING FROM THE ROOF-TOPS ABOUT SENDING THIS OFF TO RADIO STATIONS.

Or have you all suddenly decided you were wrong in the first place...?

This cannot be leaked to the radio of ever released officially in it's current form as it would be R-rated (ie. 18 or over) due to the sound of Bono pouring his glass of wine at the 19-second mark ............

Someone mentioned that it is not radio-friendly, and I agree 100 percent. You cannot play a 6:31 song which chorus doesn't kick in till 2:26 on the radio, it will bore people. It is a fantastic song, yes, in my favourites, but it needs to stay on the album. The purpose of singles is to make people buy the album. The best song on an album should never be released (unless it's selling that well that you release as a fifth single). COBL should never have been released, even though it's my favourite song.

The singles should not be the best songs because when people buy the album you want to have one or two tracks that are better than the singles to make people like it even more.

I want an answer to, gareth brown. It seems the people who thought it was a good idea in the first place have disappeared. I thought it was an ok idea until I read GAGV's post.

We do not have U2's authority to leak it to radio. Anyone who does is ripping off U2 even more. Their sales have suffered from people downloading and leaking, etc, so don't add to it.

Can you imagine U2's reaction if one of their best songs in years was leaked without them authorising it?

COBL_04 said:

Can you imagine U2's reaction if one of their best songs in years was leaked without them authorising it?

Thanks, and THAT'S the most important part of it. Larry could say at the Grammy's: "We only have 2 words for the ones who started that..." :lol:

COBL_04 said:
I want an answer to, gareth brown. It seems the people who thought it was a good idea in the first place have disappeared.

Exactly. :down:

First it was
"Yeah, we've got a great plan going, guys...we're going to get this played on the radio. Just look at this wonderful letter I wrote, help me make it more persuasive, etc. etc."
then suddenly they change their mind and start agreeing whole-heartedly with the opposing argument.

It's ridiculous, and I want to know whether they sent these 'letters' off or just realised they were being stupid in the first place and are too proud to come back in the thread and admit to the stupid acts they were instigating...! :eyebrow:

It wont be played anyways and if it is the station that plays it will have their ass sued.

Mercy is a good song certainly not a great song and certainly not a finished track but the "expirimentation" of the track is what certain people like in this forum...it could turn into a great track yes but lets wait till U2 wants to release it if they want to release it.

:lock: if you'd be so kind...this thread has become rather useless, no-one appears to be answering anything and just disappeared...rubbish.

Yahweh said:

Mercy is a good song certainly not a great song and certainly not a finished track but the "expirimentation" of the track is what certain people like in this forum...it could turn into a great track yes but lets wait till U2 wants to release it if they want to release it.

Mercy is finished. It's not mastered perfectly yet, but musically it's done. if it makes it onto an album (and i pray to God it does) it will be in this form.

Can someone please explain to me what is so "experimental" about Mercy? I'm not hearing it at all. It doesn't sound that different than the rest of HTDAAB.

People here think anything that isn't verse, chorus, verse, chorus, bridge, outro is experimental.

Haha, i see what you mean.

I personally don't see it as experimental but think it sounded brilliant when comparing it to some of HTDAAB. :hmm:

Last edited:
typhoon said:
People here think anything that isn't verse, chorus, verse, chorus, bridge, outro is experimental.

Actually, Mercy isn't too far from that. It's basically Verse-Prechorus-Chorus-Verse-Prechorus-Chorus-Bridge-Chorus-Outro. Structurally it's not that experimental, and it doesn't need to be. Some of the best songs have a simple and basic song structure. For me what stands out about Mercy is its length, buildup, and general atmosphere. Now, I try to avoid the word "atmosphere" because how the fuck do you describe atmosphere in a song? But Edge's little loop and the bass sort of create this dark...mood I suppose, along with the opening line of : "I was drinking some wine and it turned to blood." What a way to start a song. The whole song has this vibe that hasn't really been present in any of the other 00's work, whether you like it or not. It's reminiscent of some of the darker 90's stuff, but also 80's epics. Yet, to me anyway, Mercy still sounds fresh. It's nothing really new for U2...it's more like a song that is the epitomy of U2. U2 at its most U2ish in a way that doesn't seem like it's trying to hard...it simply is.

I don't know, that's just my take on it. The song just works for me. I was listening to it once not too long ago and during the bridge I felt possibly the calmest I've ever felt in my life. It was a wonderful feeling.

AtomicBono said:

For me what stands out about Mercy is its length, buildup, and general atmosphere. Now, I try to avoid the word "atmosphere" because how the fuck do you describe atmosphere in a song? But Edge's little loop and the bass sort of create this dark...mood I suppose, along with the opening line of : "I was drinking some wine and it turned to blood." What a way to start a song. The whole song has this vibe that hasn't really been present in any of the other 00's work, whether you like it or not. It's reminiscent of some of the darker 90's stuff, but also 80's epics. Yet, to me anyway, Mercy still sounds fresh. It's nothing really new for U2...it's more like a song that is the epitomy of U2. U2 at its most U2ish in a way that doesn't seem like it's trying to hard...it simply is.

I don't know, that's just my take on it. The song just works for me. I was listening to it once not too long ago and during the bridge I felt possibly the calmest I've ever felt in my life. It was a wonderful feeling.

Great post. Very well put! :up:

You are quite possibly the biggest Mercy fan I have ever known. :wink:

Zootlesque said:

Great post. Very well put! :up:

You are quite possibly the biggest Mercy fan I have ever known. :wink:

yeah, well, out of the thousands of Mercy fans you've known... :wink: it's only the second most played song on Bono (my iPod) though :sad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom