The next single?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PopMartian33107

Acrobat
Personally, I think it should be City of Blinding Lights. That's IF they even release another single worldwide.

I could really see City of Bliding Lights being played on the radio- it would be killer. Haven't we had enough of the sappy love songs anyway, like Electrical Storm, All Because of You, and Sometimes? ;)

Love and Peace might mike a good radio hit, but I don't know if it would storm the charts like the other 'Bomb' songs.

What do you guys think?

Right when I begin reading this thread, my iPod (which is shuffling 2200 songs) plays CoBL.

Weeeeeeird.

City Of Blinding Lights got played quite a bit in Seattle in between Vertigo and All Because Of You on the modern rock station....

I thought that they were going to do what they did with "Stuck..."/"Walk On" and release "Sometimes..." in the U.S. next and "All Because of You" everywhere else? Or did they already do that? Or did they abandon that (stupid and confusing) idea?

(Edit: Actually, I think "All Because of You" was just a quick stopgap single in North America, and then they released "Sometimes..." only a little after they released it everywhere else. Hard to tell since they barely promoted "All Because of You" in the first place. Anyway, "Miracle Drug," "City of Blinding Lights," and "Original of the Species" would all be good choices for the next single.)

Last edited:
typhoon said:
I thought that they were going to do what they did with "Stuck..."/"Walk On" and release "Sometimes..." in the U.S. next and "All Because of You" everywhere else? Or did they already do that? Or did they abandon that (stupid and confusing) idea?

SYCMIOYO has already been released to radio in the US and commercially in Canada - I believe its release to US radio was progressive, with some stations receiving it up to seven weeks ago while some only got it in late March. I haven't seen any indication ABOY will be released anywhere else in the world, but who knows ...

The next single in America will be the next video filmed.
They didnt release any singles off of ATYCLB, and so far haven't for HTDAAB in America, "officially" that is.

So, knowing we Americans basically aren't going to get a proper single, my guess is that a video will be filmed for COBL, as it appears to be going to the other places (sort of mirroring what they did with the song Elevation in 2001), then the guess I have is that the video will be filmed soon and the song will go to radio, as an edited single, within the next month.

In any case, if America doesn't get COBL, there would have to be a video release to MTV/Vh1 in America as that appears to be U2's method of promoting singles the USA. So if they film COBL and say, Miracle Drug, then we might get Miracle Drug.

My guess is that I think the whole world gets COBL, as the 25th anniversary single, with all the bells and whistles, and U2 uses one of thes 3 day breaks in between shows to shoot a video.

Or they just have Anton do a montage of old film for the video.

this is from EIL.COM?

It lists the Japanese release date.
I don't know how trurthworty this site is, looks like an international music retailer. If I knew it to be verifiable I'd email HelloAngel or Carrie and send them it as news, but I don't know if it's reputable or not.

It looks like a decent site and all, just never heard of it.

http://eil.com/shop/moreinfo.asp?catalogid=322506

Artist: U2 (click here for complete listing)
Title: City Of Blinding Lights NEW FEATURE
Price: £ 14.99, USD 27.58, € 21.44 change currency
Postage/Shipping: Add item to your basket for a postage/shipping quote
Format: 5" CD SINGLE
Catalogue No: UICI-5020
Country of Origin: Japan
Release date: Wednesday 8 June 2005
Year of Release: 2005
Condition : All items are in mint or excellent condition unless otherwise stated

if that June 8th release date is somewhat consistent with the rest of the world, it may or may not be. Then that would probably mean radio play by late May, you would think?

Last edited:
I think it would be great if they decided to release as their next single a song that hasn't already been an integral part of the tour--"Crumbs from Your Table" would be my #1 choice, but I'd say more realistically maybe "Original of the Species" or "A Man and a Woman"--so that they could weave a new tune into the setlist.

At nearly six minutes, "City of Blinding Lights" would have to be edited quite a bit if it's to be played on the radio, but it's a great song, and I wouldn't mind that being the next single, either.

nobody reads this

U2DMfan said:

It lists the Japanese release date.

Artist: U2 (click here for complete listing)
Title: City Of Blinding Lights NEW FEATURE

Release date: Wednesday 8 June 2005

if that June 8th release date is somewhat consistent with the rest of the world, it may or may not be. Then that would probably mean radio play by late May, you would think?

June 8th...

IT's MY BIRTHDAY!!!!!! :hyper:

I love COBL :)drool:) specially live (double :drool:)

I would choose Original of the Species to be the next single, but it will never be released if A.) U2 doesn't figure out how to play it live B.) It doesn't become regular song on the tour.

ImOuttaControl said:
I would choose Original of the Species to be the next single, but it will never be released if A.) U2 doesn't figure out how to play it live B.) It doesn't become regular song on the tour.

...the one recording of them playing it on this tour sounds great to me!:drool:

nathan1977 said:
How long before people start clamoring for "Mercy" as the next single?

I'll clamor for that one...

By the way,in regards to your username... my name is Nathan, and I was born in 1977...do I get a prize?

...and in case anyone's interested, www.eil.com is a very good site to deal with. Been ordering my U2 singles from them since they stopped releasing them here....(miss those days)

Last edited:
Aardvark747 said:

...the one recording of them playing it on this tour sounds great to me!:drool:

First off, let me say I love OOTS...but IMO I find the live performances of it to be pretty mediocre. The live version doesn't do the song justice the way they're doing it. Edge needs to get his butt on guitar! There's no reason Bono can't play the piano part..it's quite easy.

Let me put it this way, I cracked this song out with my band with me and the lead guitar player on acoustic guitars, we recorded it and IMHO it sounded much better than U2's version from San Jose...which means U2 has some work ahead if they're gonna give this song justice.

ImOuttaControl said:

Let me put it this way, I cracked this song out with my band with me and the lead guitar player on acoustic guitars, we recorded it and IMHO it sounded much better than U2's version from San Jose...which means U2 has some work ahead if they're gonna give this song justice.

I agree with what you said, the big guitar sound is clearly missing there...
Could you put up a mp3 or something of your version?

any Aussies here can you let us know what the radio edit of COBL is like? have the cut anything?

Shockingly, I heard "Crumbs" on the radio.............but it was while I was in San Jose and U2 was playing a show that night.......to be honest, I don't really like that song......

"City" could be massive............fantastic song. The best on the album, and just narrowly misses my Top Ten U2 list....

Sounds weird that an almost 6 minute song is up to be next single. Yeah too weird.

IMO there are way better choices than COBL for next single: OOTS or AMAAW.

they won't release a 6 min version! it will be edited down to less than 5 min for sure!

andyuk said:
they won't release a 6 min version! it will be edited down to less than 5 min for sure!

I realise that. Simply IMO it makes absolutely no sense to me to chop off song bits in order to make a single out of, since I suppose they put on the album a 6 minute song for some reason. I believe that there's no need to chop up a song, even if IMO it won't make much of a difference since COBL is frightfully repetitive, as if there were no other choices to pick from. :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom