The Last 100 Days...............

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nate Dogg

Refugee
I believe tomorrow will mark 100 days since September 11, 2001. I was looking through the archives from this forum..
http://forum.interference.com/u2feedback/Forum28/HTML/000320.html

It's amazing how much even this place has changed since then. Even more so, the world we live in now. I just wanted to open this thread and hear everyone's thoughts and how they may have changed from before, and since, that day.

------------------
N A T E

We Need New Dreams Tonight...

What an amazingly thoughtful thread. Thanks.

I don't know about anyone else, but it's on my mind every day, and sometimes even in my dreams.

My thoughts then, and now, are just of utter and complete devastation and sorrow. All I can do is hope and pray for a better future for us all.

This Christmas, I will be thinking of those spending their first Christmas without their loved one.
frown.gif

Damn...I just skimmed through that thread and that sure took a lot out of me (as if I'm not on end right now anyway because of exams). All the hurt and bad feelings of that day have just come back...Flight 93 crashed a quarter mile from my great-aunt's farm--it's pretty much on the property. I was there over Thanksgiving and it was awful. Just seeing the memorial they put up by the crash site and seeing pictures of the victims that said "loving father" or "loving mother" etc.
It was just so hard to see...I can't even fathom what ground zero would be like. Anyway, I wish the families of the victims peace and comfort to get them through the holidays this year...

------------------
And so happy Xmas
For black and for white
For yellow and red ones
Let's stop all the fight

I was driving home today along a highway that borders the old Fresh Kills Garbage dump. This is the place where they are bringing all the rumble and debris from the Trade Center. Its really very eerie, but anyway, as I'm driving near the site, I noticed a huge Christmas tree that the workers have erected. It was a little surreal to see such a wonderful site among all that carnage.

Another story related to this landfill. My exit off the highway is the same exit the trucks use to enter the landfill. There are many signs, ribbons, bows, candles, etc that welcome the trucks on their way in. For the longest time, there was this old lady who would stand there for about 15 hours everday waving an American Flag and cheering on the workers. It was really a great site to see. I didn't see her today, though.

CK

PS Pity the fool who comments on me living near the biggest landfill in the world.

Originally posted by SicilianGoddess:
Wow. Opening that thread just gave me chills.

frown.gif

Same here.

------------------
"I don't know you,
But you don't know the half of it..."

Flew into Newark Airport tonight and saw the large "recovery" lights in place of the Twin Towers....I got REALLY choked up.

I remember taking off from the same runway after last Christmas saying goodbye to the skyline...not thinking that it would actually be the last time I saw it that way.

I'm meeting a friend for lunch in the city on Thursday and plan to make a trip to 'Ground Zero' - yet not sure if I'm ready to do that...

9/11 was also my little cousin's 9th b-day--poor kid! He was so upset obviously...

------------------
And so happy Xmas
For black and for white
For yellow and red ones
Let's stop all the fight

I wasn't even on Interference then, but that thread interested me...those were the same reactions people around me had at the time.

I was a work and pretty isolated when the first plane hit...I was completely stunned when I went home and watched it all transpire.

It was nice to see that there was pretty much the same universal reactions to the events.

------------------
One love, one life...
Give peace a chance!
Don't let the bastards grind you down!

Create Light
Create Unity
Create Joy
CREATE PEACE!

I actually hadnt read that thread because I was in London when all this happened.
reading it now it certianly made me feel the fear u all must have been going through at the time.

100 days, i wonder how much has changed.

Little will have changed in the lives of the majority. Just heard today that the fires at WTC have just been put out, and that the number dead has dropped below 3,000. I remember hearing the news from one of our guys who was in his car over here in the UK and I immediately went for the news pages but no chance of that so I came here and into chat. surreal as people were describing the crash of the 1st plane when the 2nd hit through to the towers collapsing and we all had the same feeling of sickness. Big Day.

Yes I was off those four days, due to a funeral and taking care of my handicapped bro while mum and partner were trying to get a break away........we actually stayed in that Tuesday, all I remember was the three of us runnin round eating watchin Oprah, and then the News Flash came on around 2(ish)and we just sat down, amazed.......we too taught is was an accident but looked at each other when we heard and saw how the second plane went in..............and then to here about the Pentagon, we all sat still waiting for more tragic events to unfold, all of us in shock............I honestly never taught for one min the trade centres would collapse, at the most just the top half.......I buried my head in shock and depair when they went...............

All those families without their loved one this Christmas.......what a very sad sad end to the year it is.......
frown.gif
frown.gif

wow. I just read that entire thread because I wasn't able to read it on Sept. 11. Its weird because lately its started to affect me. I worked in the World Financial Center across the street from the Trade Center and was at work that morning. It was probably the most horrific thing I've ever been through. But going through that, it kind of made me immune to all of it for awhile. There are times still where I'm ready to go back in six months and have everything look the same. I remember how those streets looked. I walked by the towers at 8am that day and they were so huge that the street I walked on was always in shadow. Always. And the day before I was in the Trade Center, cutting through from the subway to get to Starbucks. I could walk through that building and remember where everything was. And its all gone.

I took my family down to Ground Zero during Thanksgiving and I've been there a few times myself. Its starting to get packed with tourists and at first I was like "This is sacred ground. Why are you here? This is my experience!" But really, if you do come to NYC, go to Ground Zero just to see it. Any picture you see on TV can not give you a sense of what its really like down there.

And on a side note, I want to say thanks to all of you for thinking of us New Yorkers. I was out a few nights ago and ran in to some Atlanta Firefighters that were in town to drop off money they raised and help out at Ground Zero. I met a firefighter from California who jumped in a car with some fellow firefighters and started a 44 hour drive to NYC on Sept. 11 to help us out. And there were huge Canada loves NYC and UK loves the US rallies. So thanks to all for just giving us some support at this time. We needed it.

Wow. Thanks for the post. I think it helps us sometimes to refresh how we felt that day so that we don't lose sight of the battle we're facing right now. What a horrible tragedy -- I still vividly remember watching the events unfold that morning....the disbelief, shock, horror, and vulnerability. May God keep us safe from future possible attacks. POE, my friends.

Thanks for the post. Puts thing into perspective.

------------------
~ME THREE

I live in a town where you can't smell a thing
You watch your feet for cracks in the pavement.

Thanks for the replies. My threads are usually vanished by now...

------------------
N A T E

We Need New Dreams Tonight...

Back
Top Bottom