The healing power of Bad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

follower

Refugee
Okay, I?m not working today, some health problems, nothing serious, but it bugs me a lot. So I felt the same compulsion I?m used to, which is listening to my fave U2 song ever, Bad. The song really has a healing power for me.
Now I?m here, trying to compare both of their greatest performances of Bad IMO, from Happy New Year 1989 Dublin and Zooropa 1993 Dublin RDS Stadium. And as usual, I can?t come to a conclusion which one is the best.
I love some specific things in each one. I think that the highlight of the 1989 version is Bono?s voice and interpretation, incredibly passionate, almost raging, much like the Live Aid performance. I would prefer that the drums weren?t so loud though. And the tempo could be more lower IMHO. Or am I hearing things? LOL
As for the 1993 version, I like the use of falsetto Bono does in the "I?m wide awake" part and throughout the song, it?s softer but nice. Also we can hear Adam?s bass much better in this one. But what I like the most in the 1993 version is the absolutely marvellous medley in the end with Candle in the Wind, Fool to Cry and ending with The First Time. Too bad they cut Bullet, but oh well, nothing is perfect...
Okay, now it?s your turn. What are your thoughts or feelings about it?
And sorry for the long post, but you know, when I have some free time, I like to use it in a useful way. And btw, I?m feeling better already, thanks
wink.gif

I've been going through some rough times lately, and I listen to "Bad" all of the time. I always have it ready so that when I start my car, that is the song that is playin'. Song always makes me cry when I'm like this...

Dammit, U2! Damn your music! You make me cry and ruin my makeup...
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif

BTW, I am glad that you are feeling better, follower! The best thing about being stuck at home is this place.
biggrin.gif

------------------
PLEBA: It's Just A Stinkin' Forum!!!!!!! Yeesh!!!!!!!

Yes Bonochick, I almost enjoy being lightly ill, LOL, so that I can stay at home doing what I like the most, listening my music, reading, writing a little...
I forgot to add some info. If you don?t know exactly what are the performances I?m talking about, they are December 31st 1989 and August 28th 1993, both from Dublin.
But you can?t tell me about your faves as well, and I can try to find if I don?t have them.
smile.gif

Bad is my second favorite U2 song [i'm one of those "One" fans] but I still love it. Being in NYC, things have been rough lately but I've had Bad and ATYCLB playing non-stop and its still hard but at least the music is soothing and helping with trying to get things back to as normal as possible.

------------------
"Things will not be the same in this city for us." -Bono, Dublin, February 1980

Hi Maria Teresa!
I hope you're up and running soon.
My favorite Bad is the Live Aid version.
I have the New Year's 1989 bootleg (Thanks to a very nice guy, Eliv8!) and that Bad is also amazing, so much passion in Bono's voice.
I don't have the 1993 version but I'd love to hear it.

Hey Mariana, how are things?
I?m feeling better thanks. So you don?t have that bootleg? Zooropa 1993 live from RDS Stadium, Dublin? It?s a must girl! Still the best I have, my all time fave, my dear friend Rosa gave it to me. It?s perfect.

The Live Aid performance is beyond words for me, it got me hooked into this band in 1985, it?s too precious for me and for lots of people, I know. The leap of faith. I?ll never forget it.

Another great one is Manray, Paris, pre ATYCLB tour, despite the awful audience quality of the mp3s I got, still overwhelming though.
smile.gif

Rosa dear, it?s always nice hearing from you!
Don?t worry, as I said it?s nothing serious, tomorrow I?ll be working as usual.
I spent this afternoon listening to that Zooropa 1993 bootleg you gave me and after the Elevation tour concert from San Jose nite 2, given to me by another dear friend. Bad was replaced by All I Want is You, but is also amazing, its fusion on Streets, another pearl.
I hope everything is okay with you. I miss you amiga.
smile.gif

And sharky, One is another masterpiece, any version of it. I can only imagine the effect that songs like One and Bad, and so many others created by this unique band can have over you and the fans from New York. What I?m sure is that, if I were there, I would be hearing those songs over and over again, they can really comfort me, and I bet lots of people as well.
smile.gif

Hey Maria Teresa - good to see you posting, though sorry for the circumstances!

I love that 12/31/89 CD though my favorite song on that is Streets... but my favorite Bad is LiveAid. And you know Bad is my favorite U2 song.

I hope you are feeling better and sorry you are under the weather. I've been a bit down lately myself so hoping we will all be back to normal soon!

peace to you

------------------
She's gonna dream up a world she wants to live in / She's gonna dream out loud.
Visit my web page at www.u2page.com

hey follower!
I hope you're feeling better! What's the matter hon?

You are sooo right... that's one of my favorite versions of Bad too. Actually I had this bootleg called U2 duets, and Bad had this guy called Shankar or something playing violin... that was awsome. Amazingly beautiful. The cd was stolen last year so I can't check the right names or dates. :p

But that version from Dublin last night Zoo Tv is awsome too. I love it when Bono sings Fool to Cry. He did it in Slane and I started to freak out! That "look at the stars..." from Yellow is beautiful too.

I gotta go now! this cyber cafes are killing me!

Okay, after having replied on baker6621's thread about Bad from Live Aid, I decided to bring this one here back on top again. I really would like to know what you all think about those particular performances of Bad, from Dublin 1989 and 1993.

And btw, I'm not ill anymore, in fact I'm feeling really well these days
wink.gif

Yes follower Im w/you.
When I hear the part-
"Im WIDE AWAKE !-WIDE AWAKE Im Not sleeping"!-that makes me feel a little better and optimistic..when Im under the weather.

Get better soon.

Diamond

------------------
"..it's about breaking barriers, transcending boundries and conquering great divides"-Bono 1987

---------
An open letter to Bono from myself www.arizonaautoweb.com/bono/

Back
Top Bottom