The End Of U2: How do you want them to do it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
why must they end their career? bono said several times it's the singing is the only thing he can do, they're reaching the top now, they're reaching their musical maturity............it would be stupid if they'd quit, actually i don't really believe they've ever made such thoughts though certain statements...............look at aerosmith, look at deep purple, rolling stones, who, just for instance..........they're all in the 60's and they're still shouting the hell around, u2 have still very much to give and to say, there are minimum 3 albums and many concerts and tours still to make..............it's not the end. for sure..........it can't be the end.

Canadiens1160 said:

I find pop brilliant in its unedited for BTW, I don't know why they're tampering with the songs - it's gotta be that "George Lucas syndrome". I mean what next, "Joshua Tree: The Remixes"?! Leave the music the way it was originally recorded - raw, maybe not fantastic, but it was GoOD.

They won't remix work that is already up to their standards. The only reason why they remixed some songs off POP is that those songs didn't quite make the grade for them.

I highly doubt they will ever remix Joshua Tree or ATYCLB. However, they did put a new mix of Walk On for ATYCLB. So perhaps that was the only blip in that radar while POP had half a dozen or so blips.

Cheers,

J

babyman said:
why must they end their career? bono said several times it's the singing is the only thing he can do, they're reaching the top now, they're reaching their musical maturity............it would be stupid if they'd quit, actually i don't really believe they've ever made such thoughts though certain statements...............look at aerosmith, look at deep purple, rolling stones, who, just for instance..........they're all in the 60's and they're still shouting the hell around, u2 have still very much to give and to say, there are minimum 3 albums and many concerts and tours still to make..............it's not the end. for sure..........it can't be the end.

Why must they end their career? Perhaps the death of Bono's father can put things in a different perspective now and his priorities may have shifted. Not only for Bono but for all of U2. It's like they've been stuck in suspended animation since they were teenagers. Still singing, still living the rock'n'roll star lifestyle, still being in a band. Someday they are going to say that they aren't getting any younger and their band success may have deprived them of trying out other things or living a different kind of life. So U2 could actually call it quits sooner than we think.

Cheers,

J

jick said:

They won't remix work that is already up to their standards. The only reason why they remixed some songs off POP is that those songs didn't quite make the grade for them.

I highly doubt they will ever remix Joshua Tree or ATYCLB. However, they did put a new mix of Walk On for ATYCLB. So perhaps that was the only blip in that radar while POP had half a dozen or so blips.

Cheers,

J

Actually, Edge has said that if given the chance he would remix all of their songs. Can anyone say... perfectionist?

On a related note, though I dont want to start a new thread - is there anyone here who would shed a tear when U2 will decide to call it quits?

I just can't imagine anyone crying for U2. As a matter of fact, I'd be happy for them for whatever decision they make. But if it were a tragic ending or sudden end, then perhaps it might be a different story.

Cheers,

J

If U2 make music into their sixties, it better actually be respectable music. I'd rather have them quit now than go into their sixties like the Stones, that is, making mostly crap albums and bland songs to have an excuse to go on tours where the performances are just ok. That's crap. Perhaps my anti-Stones bias is showing, but I would cry if U2 ever became THAT, characatures of themselves.

As for how/when they quit...here's a radical thought. I think they should quit whenver they WANT to quit. You have to have your heart in the music to make it worth something. If any of the band members start just 'sticking around' because of record label obligations, because the rest of the band wants them too, etc etc, they will not be creating music of the quality they are capable of.

Anyway, my fantasy has always been that their public exit would be a farewell concert(last show of the last tour), either in Dublin or in NYC, and after 2 or 3 encores or whatever, they come out one more time, Edge and Adam switch instruments just like in the old days, and Bono says for the last time, 'sing this with me, this is 40', followed by the band finally giving us a full version of 40 for the first time in who knows how long, to end their career.

jick said:
On a related note, though I dont want to start a new thread - is there anyone here who would shed a tear when U2 will decide to call it quits?

I just can't imagine anyone crying for U2. As a matter of fact, I'd be happy for them for whatever decision they make. But if it were a tragic ending or sudden end, then perhaps it might be a different story.

Cheers,

J

Well call me a big cry-baby....cause I just might...especially if they way the end thier touring careers is very sentimental and touching....yeah.

jick said:

Yes. I would. I don't care if it's the bloody happiest ending ever, I'll be sad when my favourite band breaks up!

jick said:

Cheers,

J

I will cry and :sad: and cry and :sad:

jick said:

Why must they end their career? Perhaps the death of Bono's father can put things in a different perspective now and his priorities may have shifted. Not only for Bono but for all of U2. It's like they've been stuck in suspended animation since they were teenagers. Still singing, still living the rock'n'roll star lifestyle, still being in a band. Someday they are going to say that they aren't getting any younger and their band success may have deprived them of trying out other things or living a different kind of life. So U2 could actually call it quits sooner than we think.

Cheers,

J

don't think at this right now..................the future lies in the future, just live u2 now................ ;)

Maybe they won't formally break up. They'll just get together less frequently?

I can't see them continuing with replacement parts either e.g. Edge-less or Larry-less. I feel that Larry, and to some extent Adam, aren't into it as much as they used to be and are likely to want to stop sooner than Bono/Edge. That opinion is based purely on watching them playing live (Larry looks seriously pissed off to be there on both TOTP and CD:UK - but that could be cos he's being forced to mime-drum) and on what is being reported in the likes of Q magazine.

Bono and Edge I can see continuing musical careers until natural causes force them to stop. I can see Bono perhaps following Frank Sinatra by singing to the grave - and he's admitted how much he needs an audience. And Edge will happily work away on projects like the Batman theme. U2 can always regroup as long as they are still around.

Finally, Bono said during the 2000 Irving Plaza gig that being in their band is like being in the priesthood or the mob - you don't get out alive.:wink:

paulrg said:

I can't see them continuing with replacement parts either e.g. Edge-less or Larry-less. I feel that Larry, and to some extent Adam, aren't into it as much as they used to be and are likely to want to stop sooner than Bono/Edge. That opinion is based purely on watching them playing live (Larry looks seriously pissed off to be there on both TOTP and CD:UK - but that could be cos he's being forced to mime-drum) and on what is being reported in the likes of Q magazine.

Bono and Edge I can see continuing musical careers until natural causes force them to stop. I can see Bono perhaps following Frank Sinatra by singing to the grave - and he's admitted how much he needs an audience. And Edge will happily work away on projects like the Batman theme. U2 can always regroup as long as they are still around.

Finally, Bono said during the 2000 Irving Plaza gig that being in their band is like being in the priesthood or the mob - you don't get out alive.:wink:

Hmm interesting insight. So to you, the only way U2 would actually end would be through death of a member. I'd rather have U2 formally break up then just leave the fans in the cold waiting for a new album even if something like 20 years have lapsed already and U2 are well into their 70's in age. I'd rather have them announce their disbandment. Of course to me death should be the last option.

Cheers,

J

hola amigos :wave:

I wish I saw a decent farewell, I mean, no big comercial last tour and all that crap. I wish I saw them releasing a last wonderful song like John Lennon´s "God" or something like that, saying hystorical words like "Dream Is Over" :yes:

Also I wish I saw a friendly goodbye, not like what happened to The Beatles, for example. I don´t want to see any "reunions" after their disband, because all reunions are pure comercial fake, when the men have no money left :mad: like Kiss and any other dead bands.

After that, I wish I had some special stuff, like "Led Zeppelin DVD" on U2´s version ( pure previously unreleased footage from their first concert ever filmed, Belfast 1981, by BBC, including War Tour- No Red Rocks, UF Tour, Lovetown Tour, Zoo TV 1992, Pop Mart 1998, etc :bow: :lmao: :applaud: :up: :heart: :D )
and a double CD set containing the "Rest Of The Best" with songs like Gloria, Surrender, "40", A Sort Of Homecoming, MLK, Bullet The Blue Sky, Running To Stand Still, One Tree Hill, God Part II, Who´s Gonna Ride..., The Fly, Lemon, Please, Last Night On Earth, Walk On, etc as well a remastered version of all his albums, like Peter Gabriel did so well :up:

paulrg said:

I agree with you on this - the impression I get of U2's current state is that things are good, but by no means as vibrant as they were, which is to be expected really. They seem to be getting together far less frequently anyway..... that's pretty obvious from the gaps between albums. Bono has all of his side projects anyway, which I guess is probably a little bit frustrating for them all (I know Edge had been quite blunt about that on a few occasions), as I think U2 need Bono more than Bono need U2.
Anyways, i'd be sad if they split, and I really hope it doesn't happen... it's not really worth thinking about though - just enjoy what they give us, and anything else from here on in is a bonus.

Back
Top Bottom