The Beatles and U2 Spirituality

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Moshepop

The Fly
Hello everybody i am the author of The Ethereal Connection
a completely free website about the correlation of U2 and The Beatles, in which i make several suggestions about what i consider their paralel careers. I am in much need of feedback, and i would apreciate for anyone to make the whole journey and express what you feel about it, good or bad. I am not posting the website adress here because i dont know if it is allowed but its just the name as i wrote it above. "...i can't wait to be stronger..."

Well, One and Let It Be are quite spiritual experiences for myself in particular and even though both songs in question can be interpretated in very different ways, they let me channel a part of my personality I normally leave unexplored...........

( My first pretentious comment of the day)

Ok, I'm going to make a comment. I read a book once called "Shout" about the career of the Beatles. It was excellent. The Beatles had a lot of destructive influence on their fans, although I believe it was done in innocence. They took drugs and wrote their experiences in their music, and joined religious groups that invited young people to also join. As I said, I don't think they meant to destructively influence people, they just took them on their ride with them. I believe U2 is extremely similar to the Beatles, but they are the exact opposite. Where the Beatles talked of drugs, U2 sang against them. They generally are against organized religion and influence many people with their beliefs. When I got into U2 last year, that was the first thing I noticed, they had the same influence as the Beatles, but in the opposite direction. (I hope this wasn't silly).

truthfully, in my opinion there is really nothing between U2 and The Beatles that are similar and these are my 2 favorite bands.

Interesting site, but it seems a bit reading too much into things.

U2 owe more to the Ramones, the Clash and punk rock in their sound and style, than the Beatles, to be quite honest.

U2 identify themself as an Irish band, even Adam and Edge I've seen refer to themselves as Irish, though technically they were born in the U.K.

October is the most blatant U2 album as a whole, in regards to spirituality.

"Apples and oranges" seems to be the general consensus with U2 and Beatles comparisons. ;)

When the Hype became U2, it was comprised of the same 4 members you see today. There's not a whole lot of bands you can compare that to. 25 years after their first album, no line up change, that seems to be rare in rock.

Last edited:
A really nicely put together site, and a good read, but completely insane.

(Although actually you're right about the Paul is dead stuff on the discotheque cover, and I hadn't noticed the pop cover stuff before - interesting)

Highly recommended - Ive added it to my favourites.

Back
Top Bottom