The awesomeness that is City of Blinding Lights!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
TheBrazilianFly said:

I think I feel the same. Even though I’m happy that I heard the song maybe I wish I had first listened to it on the album. But we still have many other songs to discover yet in it's entirety and original studio form. But let's look to the positive side of it: we still have 2 extra minutes that we don't know from COBL.
Yes, but let's take a look at all the songs we have heard so far in some form or another:

1. 'Vertigo'
2. 'Miracle Drug'
3. 'All Because of You'
4. 'Love and Peace...'
5. 'City of Blinding Lights'

That's almost half the album! *Will not listen to anymore songs until album comes out* (sure Michael)

Michael Griffiths said:

Yes, but let's take a look at all the songs we have heard so far in some form or another:

1. 'Vertigo'
2. 'Miracle Drug'
3. 'All Because of You'
4. 'Love and Peace...'
5. 'City of Blinding Lights'

That's almost half the album! *Will not listen to anymore songs until album comes out* (sure Michael)

Yeah but let's not forget about Fast Cars and Mercy. So that's 8 more songs we have to listen to yet. But I understand what you mean.

Apparently Edge used this guitar during COBL! :hyper:

u2totp2.jpg

edgebonototp3.jpg

So is this 'low bass' version the best one that's out there?
And people are calling this "the best U2 song of all time?
It's such a bad recording you can barely make anything out.
What you CAN make out sounds very, very promising though.

That chorus is going to be one great singalong moment live though....

"City of Blinding Lights" had me speechless when I heard it, I had goosebumps all over, and I couldnt stop smiling. Now that I heard the lyrics and broke the song down, its even better. What a piece of work. these guys are so brilliant!

I think the ABOY clip didnt really do it justice, I thought the quality was worse and Bono's singing wasnt as good as COBL. I loved the guitar in ABOY, I think we'll all love it even more when we hear it on the album.

Favorite part of COBL = "Tonight, tonight in the City of Blinding Lights."

It will be one of the highlights of the upcoming tour when they play this at Madison Square Garden.

Earnie Shavers said:

No shit, the people gushing over this I liken to the ones who heard 30 second clips from ATYCLB and said this or that song was "the best U2 song ever".

New shit is always "the greatest U2 (fill in the blank)"

it sounds very promising but I read more than one poster refer to this song as "the new Streets" or whatever. Give me a break.
It might be, but from this one particular clip, it's not. Trust me.

I give the band a lot of break here, they probably havent rehearsed this song that often, and while it sounds good as it is, it's probably much better on the album. But compare it to 'Streets'?

give me a break, seriously. It's not even the best new song of the day for a lot of people, including me, much less equal to U2's grandest live song.

Sure it's all opinion, but be reasonable with comparisons, that's all i am saying. I think ABOY sounds amazing, and intially I think it could be better than ANYTHING on ATYCLB, but I am not sure I would go around saying that, I thought the same thing about Vertigo a few weeks back and have changed my mind. It's just an emotional reaction. New shit is always more appealing.

So gush about COBL, it does sound like it could be tremendous, but spare me from reading comparisons to 'Streets' that's all, could we at least wait until the proper studio recording is out before you give this song sainthood?

Fuck it, people can do what they want, obviosuly. I am being no fun. :wink:

Earnie Shavers said:

Finally someone with the same opinion as me. When I woke up and read all these topics about COBL I was expecting way too much. I cannot barely make anything out of it. And all these edits are making it even more difficult to listen to the songs.

That having said, thanks for bringing them out. And based on these two clips I like ABOY better! GUITAR SOLO BABY!

Well people were calling Stuck In A Moment "the next ISHFWILF". And Walk On was "a guaranteed #1".

Don't get me wrong, I like the songs from ATYCLB, but we do tend to over-react when something is new.

We'll all need at least a year before we can objectively rate these new songs.

For now, however, let's go nuts!!!

Soulrock2 said:

Finally someone with the same opinion as me. When I woke up and read all these topics about COBL I was expecting way too much. I cannot barely make anything out of it. And all these edits are making it even more difficult to listen to the songs.

That having said, thanks for bringing them out. And based on these two clips I like ABOY better! GUITAR SOLO BABY!

also agreed

Thus far I have resisted downloading these songs.

So thats been, ummm, 10 minutes!

I wonder how long I'll hold?

iacrobat said:
Thus far I have resisted downloading these songs.

So thats been, ummm, 10 minutes!

I wonder how long I'll hold?

Why? what's the purpose? You want to hear new U2 music, right?
Download them, it's not going to make any difference if you hear it now or 6 weeks from now.

It's not album versions anyways.

After hearing the song myself...I am trembling.

I posted in the other thread I can recall how and what I was feeling when I found some healing for my broken heart at the Elevation concerts. U2 carried us all through our broken hearts from 9/11 that tour. This song reminds me. It feels beautiful.

City of Blinding Lights is absolutely stunning, just pure beauty....but as evenly beautiful, the guitar solo by Edge in ABOY!!!!! :edge: :edge:

Inner El Guapo said:

Why? what's the purpose? You want to hear new U2 music, right?
Download them, it's not going to make any difference if you hear it now or 6 weeks from now.

It's not album versions anyways.

Arrghh...don't try and convince me to do it!

I do want to hear new U2, but I think I will have greater pleasure putting the new CD on and listening to it right through.

Now I don't know if I have my dates mixed up, but I think the BBC versions of Stuck, New York and Elevation came out before the record. And they were all better than the album versions. So I was dissapointed when I got it. I had also heard a couple of tracks on the radio. It ruined the experience. I remember being dissapointed after listening to ATYCLB.

But I am still on the verge of donwloading this, with so many people gushing over the song, it is hard not to!

Back
Top Bottom