The album seems to be still progressing...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In the hierachy of bands, I rate Rush just a few notches below these guys:
Worst Band Ever - YouTube

Considering you posted this comment to that video, we'll take your..taste..with a bucket of salt:

Music_f14002_2017933.jpg

yeah especially shitty stadiums for Europe AGAIN :rolleyes:

From what I have heard. The band and their staff were not happy with a lot of the venues on the last arena tour done in Europe in 2001 (from a facilities capability perspective). Same can be said for the arena tour prior to that in 1992 in Europe. Maybe a bunch of newer arenas have been built since 2001 there?? If so, arenas would be a better possibility. But the other reason is that ticket demand in Europe is just massive. Doing an arena tour there does not make sense as a result. The band likes both the arena and stadium environments so arenas in N. America and stadiums and Europe fits their model based on all of the above.

Things can always change, but I would bank on U2 being on the road in 2014 in support of a new album.

Looking back at this thread. I feel like this is some type of alternate universe with this Rush conversation. :crack: Are people joking......hopefully?

I'm not even a big Stones or Beatles fan either. (Have seen the Stones in concert and they were great) But to even suggest that Rush is better or even the same ballpark is astounding to me. Again, nothing against Rush, but I do not think it is even comparable. I would argue they are not even to U2's level, but maybe that is the U2 diehard in me.

Anyway, in another year this thread will be history and people will be complaining about and gushing about the new single at this point. My guess is that the next album will be like Contemporary Rock on Saturn, to quote Bono. ;)

Blue Room said:
Looking back at this thread. I feel like this is some type of alternate universe with this Rush conversation. :crack: Are people joking......hopefully?

I'm not even a big Stones or Beatles fan either. (Have seen the Stones in concert and they were great) But to even suggest that Rush is better or even the same ballpark is astounding to me. Again, nothing against Rush, but I do not think it is even comparable. I would argue they are not even to U2's level, but maybe that is the U2 diehard in me.

Anyway, in another year this thread will be history and people will be complaining about and gushing about the new single at this point. My guess is that the next album will be like Contemporary Rock on Saturn, to quote Bono. ;)

The only time in this thread it was said Rush is better than Beatles and Stones was when i said that in terms of TECHNICAL PROFIENCY it's a fact Rush members are better than Stones, Beatles, U2 and 90% of the pop-rock world. Do you disagree?

From what I have heard. The band and their staff were not happy with a lot of the venues on the last arena tour done in Europe in 2001 (from a facilities capability perspective). Same can be said for the arena tour prior to that in 1992 in Europe. Maybe a bunch of newer arenas have been built since 2001 there?? If so, arenas would be a better possibility. But the other reason is that ticket demand in Europe is just massive. Doing an arena tour there does not make sense as a result. The band likes both the arena and stadium environments so arenas in N. America and stadiums and Europe fits their model based on all of the above.

Things can always change, but I would bank on U2 being on the road in 2014 in support of a new album.

yeah i know :wink:

The only time in this thread it was said Rush is better than Beatles and Stones was when i said that in terms of TECHNICAL PROFIENCY it's a fact Rush members are better than Stones, Beatles, U2 and 90% of the pop-rock world. Do you disagree?

I disagree in it being made out as ONE category to separate them from some names that really have come to define music in a completely subjective field that can be based on so many intangible things. As a whole, which is the only way I think you can base music, they are not even on the same playing field with the names listed. They are technically proficient, their music does nothing for me and they have had nowhere near the impact the Stones, Beatles or even U2 have had on music in general. Shit music can be technically proficient being played. But it is still shit music. I'm not saying Rush are shit, just trying to make a point. Rush has a good fanbase and following, but they have not had the impact on music the bands they are being compared to have had. Not even close and their technical proficiency doesn't get them in the argument IMO.

I think it's something that you can't even pass a judgment on, unless you sit them all down in the same room.

Why are Canadians so obsessed with Rush?

Really, the rest of the world doesn't give a shit about them... Sorry guys, but they're no way near the same league as Worldwide big acts like the Stones or U2...

I don't consider Rush to be in the same league as Aha. No really, I don't. Aha had Take On Me. Rush has never had a song that interested me. Therefore, Rush isn't in Aha's league.

Rush had some big hits in the US and their name has always been well know here, but never, ever in U2's league. But yeah there was a time you could not turn on the radio without hearing Tom Sawyer or Fly By Night or Limelight.

:shifty: This thread is about Rush, right?

Rush had some bih hits in the US and their name has always been well know here, but never, ever in U2's league. But yeah there was a time you could not turn on radio without hearing Ton Sawyer or Fly By Night or Limelight.

:shifty: This thread is about Rush, right?

I've never even heard of Fly By Night or Limelight.

Ok, enough Rush/Radiohead/whatever. Who cares. There's a whole subforum here dedicated to other artists.

On the @U2 rumor. That seems like the safe bet, but the fact is nobody really knows at this point, not even U2, let alone somebody who "is in position to be in the know." I don't think they'll let 2013 roll by entirely without releasing an album, so I think 2013 is realistic...and the fall is the likely bet, but hey, if they want a spring release, guess what? they'll have one. the album will come out at some point in 2013, and it's whenever U2 say it will. No other way around it.

Why are Canadians so obsessed with Rush?

Really, the rest of the world doesn't give a shit about them..

Actually a wholly unfactual and untrue statement and kind of funny, given that Canadians (and this is rather typical of us) aren't particularly obsessed with ANY Canadian acts, Rush included.

Rush albums and tickets do far better outside of Canada and they've been touring non-stop for over 30 years, again, mostly outside of Canada.

Rush has 24 gold records and 14 platinum - 3 of which are multi platinum - records. According to the RIAA, their sales statistics place them third behind The Beatles and The Rolling Stones for the most consecutive gold or platinum studio albums by a rock band. There aren't enough prog rock loving Rush heads in Canada to make that happen, sorry.

We're not especially obsessed, outside of being proud (which any true Canadian should be) of what they have achieved as being the most successful band from Canada, ever. Every single last edit: Everywhere but Jamaica.. place I've travelled to in the world, I've had someone remark "Canada - Rush!" when I tell them I'm from Canada. Does that make me smile? Of course! I'd imagine that most Irish would be proud (if not outwardly, inwardly) that U2 hails from Ireland. Well, they damn well should be!

And no, Rush does not equal U2 in global domination etc..I don't know why the comparisons always come up. Just because someone thinks Rush is brilliant doesn't necessarily mean that they will try to make a Rush > U2 argument. I know I won't, although for flat out musicianship they're probably a bit ahead of them.

The rest of the world does in fact give a shit about Rush.

The rest of the world is not represented by, nor does it give a shit about, Interference, however. :wink:

Actually a wholly unfactual and untrue statement and kind of funny, given that Canadians (and this is rather typical of us) aren't particularly obsessed with ANY Canadian acts, Rush included.

Rush albums and tickets do far better outside of Canada and they've been touring non-stop for over 30 years, again, mostly outside of Canada.

Rush has 24 gold records and 14 platinum - 3 of which are multi platinum - records. According to the RIAA, their sales statistics place them third behind The Beatles and The Rolling Stones for the most consecutive gold or platinum studio albums by a rock band. There aren't enough prog rock loving Rush heads in Canada to make that happen, sorry.

We're not especially obsessed, outside of being proud (which any true Canadian should be) of what they have achieved as being the most successful band from Canada, ever. Every single last edit: Everywhere but Jamaica.. place I've travelled to in the world, I've had someone remark "Canada - Rush!" when I tell them I'm from Canada. Does that make me smile? Of course! I'd imagine that most Irish would be proud (if not outwardly, inwardly) that U2 hails from Ireland. Well, they damn well should be!

And no, Rush does not equal U2 in global domination etc..I don't know why the comparisons always come up. Just because someone thinks Rush is brilliant doesn't necessarily mean that they will try to make a Rush > U2 argument. I know I won't, although for flat out musicianship they're probably a bit ahead of them.

The rest of the world does in fact give a shit about Rush.

The rest of the world is not represented by, nor does it give a shit about, Interference, however. :wink:

You've GOT to be being ironic, no?

I don't consider Rush to be in the same league as Aha. No really, I don't. Aha had Take On Me. Rush has never had a song that interested me. Therefore, Rush isn't in Aha's league.

At least I know one Aha song by name. :wink: That's more than I can say about Rush.

Wait, make that two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom