The Achtung Baby House of Worship!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
blurmgrl quote"The tour that came with that album was the first chance I ever had to see them & for that alone, I'll always favor AB.

I just think that as I've gotten older and experienced more of life and relationships, I've learned to better appreciate the overall tone of AB. It's very sexual, very bitter (in some parts), and very dark (again, in parts). To use a worn out but accurate comparison, the thing's like a onion..... layer upon layer upon layer. And they're all superb. :drool: :drool: [/B][/QUOTE]

:applaud:
BluRmGrl your post :drool: well this excerpt ditto. I could not have ever put it better. When it came out I was in my first "relationship" so each song was and still is so intense for me. Sometimes I call it my soundtrack for life. Though my relationships have gotten better :rolleyes:

AtomicBono said:

I can only imagine what that was like...unfortunatley I was only three at the time. But yeah, that's amazing. I love the internet but it does sort of take away some of the surprise...

Wow so I go into this thread, I have my entire catalouge of U2 on random, and a live performance of Love is Blindness comes up (from Birmingham, amazing seven minute version :drool: ).

Achtung Baby... what a fucking amazing album.

I'll write more insights later.

No way, don't suppose that's the Birmingham UK version is it (as opposed to Alabama)? THE best version of this song I have ever heard, and i've listened to almost all the Zoo tour boots I can get my hands on. At the end it has bono reading September 1913 by Yeats....

Best part......I was there, front row. 18 years old and I knew I had just seen something that I was never going to forget. I don't think I spoke for about 2 hours after that gig.

Last edited:
My insight for today is:

TTTYAATW - NOT a filler! It's a very important song in the album (as they all are) because it presents the easy option and the easy way the album could have ended, being quite positive and what seems like a pleasant-enough song. And then they hit us with the killer of UV, Acrobat and LIB and you realise life just isn't that easy, it's not all happy endings.

chrissybaby said:

No way, don't suppose that's the Birmingham UK version is it (as opposed to Alabama)? THE best version of this song I have ever heard, and i've listened to almost all the Zoo tour boots I can get my hands on. At the end it has bono reading September 1913 by Yeats....

Best part......I was there, front row. 18 years old and I knew I had just seen something that I was never going to forget. I don't think I spoke for about 2 hours after that gig.

Yep, that's the very version :drool: That poem was only snippeted one other time that I know of, in Kiel, Germany.

You were there? Incredible. It is by far one of the best versions of the song I've ever heard. Might even be my favourite. The whole show is really good, I wish my bootleg was higher quality.

AtomicBono said:

Yep, that's the very version :drool: That poem was only snippeted one other time that I know of, in Kiel, Germany.

You were there? Incredible. It is by far one of the best versions of the song I've ever heard. Might even be my favourite. The whole show is really good, I wish my bootleg was higher quality.

you are the first person i've spoke to that has heard that version and been blown away by it.... It sounds like i'm just saying it coz i was there but it aint the case.... Its incredible!!! If I could have soundboard or video of any gig ever it would be that one! I purchased the tape from a seller at Leeds University back in 92 and i wore it out....! It seems there is only 1 source and the quality isnt that great but who cares... I got tickets for that show from propaganda and there was no GA area as such so we had seat numbers, i remember getting nearer the front as we walked in and being totally shocked when we (me and sister) got to the very front! There was something special in the air that night, I have seen them 15 times since (including 4 front row experiences this tour) but nothing has ever come close to that experience. I had seen some MTV news reports from Earls Court the night before but didnt really know what to expect, Jesus, if i could go back to any show i've been to it would be that one!

I remember Bono dancing with a girl at the end whilst Edge played that Neil Young sounding extended solo, you can hear the crowd cheer as Bono takes the girl back to her seat right next to us!!!! Sorry for banging on, but that show was so so fantastic.

starsgoblue said:
*bows at the altar of AB*

:bow:

You've got that right, Stars!!!

My favorite U2 songs are "One" and "Until The End Of The World." They provide a perfect one-two (no pun intended!) punch that is unsurpassed by any other album, ever.

The only album that comes close to the greatness of "Achtung Baby" is "London Callling" by The Clash. These two albums are in a category all their own.

"Achtung Baby" :bow: :bow: :bow:

starsgoblue said:
Give us the boot, you AB Awesome Song Version Hoggers! :angry:

:wink:

I don't have it on this computer :( Otherwise I would, believe me.

It's no coincidence that my name abbreviated is AB...:wink:

except actually it is.

but for this thread, it's not.

Hey AB lovers, help Love is Blindness win in the Heal/Hurt game!! It's getting trounced by All I Want is You, which, brilliant song in its own right but it can't match the beautiful darkness of Blindness, the best album closer ever... :drool:

I remember when The Fly was released, and only for a limited time before they withdrew from sale, and I was blown away by how LOUD it just was, for U2. I had been disappointed by R&H, tho' Lovetown did make me appreciate it a bit more.

Then when AB appeared I was so amazed at how it was such a complete album. R&H had been a muddled mess but AB put U2 back to rights again. And then Bono in the videos....:drool: :drool: :drool:

It's my birthday, everyone in the worship house for some AB discussion ;) No one pays attention to my discussion ideas though :p

blueeyedgirl said:
I remember when The Fly was released, and I was blown away by how LOUD it just was, for U2.

And then Bono in the videos....:drool: :drool: :drool:

I still remember when I first saw The Fly vid....dear sweet Lord, I've never been the same since. :faint:

Seriously though, how BADASS were they when they busted out of the JT era and blew in with Achtung Baby?! You never woulda thought or expected that. Badass

I am not sure what I can add to the comments already posted but I just wanted to come and pray in the House of Achtung Baby Worship :bow:

Ahhh, Achtung Baby. What an emotional rollercoaster this album was, and still is, for me. Often vying with JT for my favorite U2 album, this one has been winning the duel lately....for a number of reasons.

When I first bought the album, I was 17 and a junior in high school. Everything was going great, rolling along like it should in high school. Then, about 4 months later, I come home to find out my brother is terminally ill with AIDS. He passed on three months later, and was always a huge U2 fan. He initially got me into U2, actually. Anyway, One is a song that resonates so deeply and powerfully for me because of this time in my life, and I will always love Bono and the band for writing it.

AB is a musical masterpiece. I doubt that there are many other albums out there that can top it. It's just too dense, emotional, and true-to-life. Every song on the album is a gem in itself, and they are so complex, that you discover new things about them all the time. Hoe many songs, much less entire albums, can do that? When I was younger, I gravitated towards the hits (One, Even Better, Mysterious Ways). Now, I still listen to those, but I'm just as likely to throw on Acrobat, a piece of genius that helps certify U2 as the greatest band ever. I love this album from start to finish, and always will.

I will never forget, when a buddy of mine told me that U2's new album was going to be entitled, "Achtung Baby," I thought, "Oh crap, they have absolutely gone off the deep end." But being the HUGE U2 fan that I am, of course I bought it the day it came out. And WOW, was I blown away, from thinking my speakers were busted during Zoo Station to the sheer beauty of One that made me stop in my tracks and just stand there with my jaw agape, to the absolute chaos of The Fly to the melancholy of Love Is Blindness, the album is just incredible.

It is my second-favorite album, just a bit behind War (for me War will ALWAYS be my fave!), and when I listen to it, it brings back such cool memories of 1991. By the way, I have gotten over the album title. Yep, perfect name for a perfect album.

jmccuanu2 said:
I will never forget, when a buddy of mine told me that U2's new album was going to be entitled, "Achtung Baby," I thought, "Oh crap, they have absolutely gone off the deep end."... I have gotten over the album title. Yep, perfect name for a perfect album.

:lmao: That was exactly my first reaction as well! "Attention Baby"?!?!? :scratch: WTF??? :crazy:

Obviously, I was too quick to judge. The album's absolute brilliance and it's named perfectly. :up: :love: :yes:

Achtung Baby was the album that really got me listening U2. I spent the whole of the summer I left school listening to the album and whenever I listen to it it always bring back happy memories. It is also one of the first albums I listened to where I actually liked every song on it.

I'd obviously heard of U2 before this album - I'd heared stuff from Joshua Tree, Sunday Bloody Sunday and some of the other sinlges they'd released - but this album really got me into them.

When you start getting into music for the first time when your young there's nothing better than U2 and there is nothing better than this album in my opinion!

Ok here's a topic to discuss about AB - which do you think is the most important song on the album in terms of the concept and story within the album?

chickadee said:
Ok here's a topic to discuss about AB - which do you think is the most important song on the album in terms of the concept and story within the album?

That's nice you decided to post it in this thread instead of starting a new one! :up:

Umm... it would probably have to be The Fly! The Fly was the whole concept... the change in image... the attitude change... reflecting the darkness of the world and the new U2 album at the same time.

Back
Top Bottom