Stephen Stills is back, and manages a shot at Bono!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xana dew

The Fly
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050916/lf_nm/leisure_stills_dc

"Stills the activist surfaces on "Feed the People," which has its origins in an unfinished song that he wrote years ago for his friend Jimmy Carter, "the last honest president of the United States." He completed it last year as calls were growing for debt relief for African nations.

Stills has a long history of political and social involvement but has no wish to compete for the spotlight with U2's Bono. "I don't have the glasses, and I can actually play the guitar," he says."

For those who love Stills (I do, he's a Tampa lad) and CSN, etc. -- this is a great write-up. Of course, he had to be smart about our favorite front man, but that's Stills for ya.

Last edited:
C'mon - that's not a shot at Bono! LOL! Heck, even Bono admits he can't really play the guitar well.

Bono is a beautiful poet/lyricist, who at times has had the voice of an angel. Bono is the definition of a rock star on stage - but off-stage, he is every bit a humanitarian. Mos Def and Rollins and others may complain, but the facts don't lie.

However, is Bono a musician? No. :) He can create these outstanding melodies in his head - which boggle my mind given that he's not really a musician. But he's, at best, a below-average guitarist and a minimilast pianist. Fortunately, Bono doesn't need to excel here.

Bottom line, Stills was giving Bono a little teasing - but hardly "taking a shot" at him.

doctorwho said:

However, is Bono a musician? No. :) He can create these outstanding melodies in his head - which boggle my mind given that he's not really a musician.

Creating melodies and being able to sing makes one a musician. That's part of music. He may not be proficient with an instrument, but that doesn't mean he's not a musician.

Right, I mean, I laughed when I read it. I meant "shot" in the playful sense. There's probably a better word for it. Poke, jab?

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Creating melodies and being able to sing makes one a musician. That's part of music. He may not be proficient with an instrument, but that doesn't mean he's not a musician.

If that is true, then every single person on this planet is a musician. Everyone can sing and everyone can make up some sort of melody. Granted, it may not be good - but then, taste is subjective. As such, I don't agree with your comment. I believe a musician is one who can play instruments and can actually write music. Bono isn't truly a musician - more of a lyricist, by my definition.

However, this is really getting off the subject.

saying Bono isnt a musician is absolutely brutal and totally far feched from the truth. Just because he cant play guitar well doesnt mean he isnt a musician. Melody is actually the most important part of the music because it is what you remember from the song in general.

doctorwho said:

Everyone can sing and everyone can make up some sort of melody.

Everyone can sing:eyebrow:? You haven't met my ex-wife... Making noise with your vocal chords that's off key or out of pitch isn't singing. One that can truly sing and really make melodies that fit the music is a musician. My guitarist couldn't create a melody to his own music to save his life, yet he's a killer guitar player.

By your definition Micheal Stipe, Jim Morrison, or even Pavarotti aren't musicians. Now regardless what you think of Stipe or Morrison one can't deny that Pavarotti is very proficient with his instrument which happens to be his voice.

Webster's dictionary defines a musician as "a person who performs or composes music."

Looks like Bono is a musician after all. He sings (and plays a teeny bit of guitar) in front of people for a living. He also contributes lyrics and melodies to the songs the band writes.

I laughed at the Stills line, having read it the other day--it is pure and absolute deadpan Stills. I can just hear the delivery. And he can actually play the guitar. Incredibly. "Spanish Suite" on his new album!!!

Good to have him back solo again.

Last edited:
I didn't think Stills' statement was a shot at Bono, more like a funny, a haha and yes, everyone knows Bono pokes fun about his own poor guitar playing or lack thereof. I do believe Bono is in fact a musician. A songwriter is a musician. Bono has a beautiful tenor voice. A singer is a musician.

Back
Top Bottom