Songs of Ascent / New U2 Music / Soon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So is the "surprise" almost certainly just Soon on the LP or possibly uploaded based on that image of the DVD packaging? Or are we expecting something else?

@u2 is saying that the latest Rolling Stone issue has an album update about U2 working on 3 albums: Songs of Ascent, the Spiderman Soundtrack and a set of new songs. Doesn't sound as if RS knows more than us here, but I've thought the Spiderman soundtrack is finished already.

@u2 is saying that the latest Rolling Stone issue has an album update about U2 working on 3 albums: Songs of Ascent, the Spiderman Soundtrack and a set of new songs. Doesn't sound as if RS knows more than us here, but I've thought the Spiderman soundtrack is finished already.

And while we're discussing the next release:
Lillywhite apparently finished working with Evanescence now as he's heading back to the UK for the summer in a little while, not necessarily to work with U2 of course.

Last day in NY for a few months.. Missouri tomorrow and then London for the summer..
Source: Twitter / Steve Lillywhite: Last day in NY for a few m ...

And while we're discussing the next release:
Lillywhite apparently finished working with Evanescence now as he's heading back to the UK for the summer in a little while, not necessarily to work with U2 of course.

Lillywhite is apparently going to produce the debut album for Beady Eye (Oasis without Noel Gallagher). Maybe that's why he's in England for the summer.

Current U2 projects:

• Rick Rubin Sessions
    • Started in: 2006 at Abbey Road Studios, London.
    • Sound: Club music and big rock guitars.
    • Confirmed song titles: None
    • Rumoured song titles: "All My Life"
    • Status: Gathering dust in the vaults, U2 have expressed a desire of returning to the material one day.

• Spider-Man: Turn Off The Dark
    • Started in: Possibly 2003-2004? Edge's Line6 DM4 Stompbox reveals "Spider-Man (Slide Solo)" in the How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb-book.
    • Sound: Rock'n'roll Broadway musical featuring indie band Carney.
    • Confirmed song titles:
      • Rise Above
      • Boy Falls From The Sky
      • Turn Off The Dark
      • Bouncing Off The Walls
      • Bullying By Numbers
      • Pull The Trigger
      • If The World Should End
      • "a dozen" songs more.
    • Rumoured song titles: None
    • Status: Rumoured to open autumn/fall 2010 on Broadway. In 2006 fans got to hear a leak of 'Boy Falls From The Sky'.

• Songs of Ascent
    • Started in: Most material supposedly stems from summer 2007, Fez, Morocco sessions with potential tracks leaking as early as 2006 ('Thank You For The Day').
    • Sound: A "ghost album of hymns and Sufi singing. We're making a kind of heartbreaker, a meditative, reflexive piece of work"
    • Rumoured song titles: Soon, Every Breaking Wave etc...
    • Status: Unknown, was said to be released in late 2009. Soon is about to be released on 7" orange coloured vinyl as part of U2360° Tour Live At Rose Bowl concert Super Deluxe Package. More info here.

• [Fan Working Title] "Terra Incognita"
    • Started in: Fall 2009, in-between legs of the current U2360° Tour.
    • Sound: Said to be influenced by electronica and traditional, almost folk music.
    • Confirmed song titles: None.
    • Rumoured song titles: Every Breaking Wave (?), "Glastonbury Festival Tribute"-song
    • Status: Unknown. Band is currently rumoured to stay at their summer houses in Eze-Sur-Mer where they might or might not go through their material for these current projects or rehearse for the continuation of the U2360° Tour in fall 2010.

Isn't anyone else super excited about this?!

Songs of Ascent isn't dead!

AND they're working on a follow-up with a new set of songs.

Super awesome.

When I read this morning that "Kingdom for Your Love" was on the vinyl and was only 2 minutes, I started to lose hope we'd ever see a more meditative album.

Yes!

Drip...drip...drip...overtime. I'm sure lots of it is half-baked at the moment (except maybe Spiderman). We know how they change many things all the way until the end when the album is completed.

Current U2 projects:

• Rick Rubin Sessions
    • Status: Gathering dust in the vaults, U2 have expressed a desire of returning to the material one day.

• Started in: Possibly 2003-2004? Edge's Line6 DM4 Stompbox reveals "Spider-Man (Slide Solo)" in the How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb-book.
    • Confirmed song titles:
      • Rise Above
      • Boy Falls From The Sky
      • Turn Off The Dark
      • Bouncing Off The Walls
      • Bullying By Numbers
      • Pull The Trigger
      • "a dozen" songs more.
    • Status: Rumoured to open autumn/fall 2010 on Broadway. In 2006 fans got to hear a leak of 'Boy Falls From The Sky'.

• Songs of Ascent
    • Started in: Most material supposedly stems from summer 2007, Fez, Morocco sessions with potential tracks leaking as early as 2006 ('Thank You For The Day').
    • Sound: A "ghost album of hymns and Sufi singing. We're making a kind of heartbreaker, a meditative, reflexive piece of work"
    • Status: Unknown, was said to be released in late 2009. Soon is about to be released on 7" orange coloured vinyl as part of U2360° Tour Live At Rose Bowl concert Super Deluxe Package. More info here.

• Sound: Said to be influenced by electronica and traditional, almost folk music.
    • Rumoured song titles: Every Breaking Wave (?), "Glastonbury Festival Tribute"-song
    • Status: Unknown. Band is currently rumoured to stay at their summer houses in Eze-Sur-Mer where they might or might not go through their material for these current projects or rehearse for the continuation of the U2360° Tour in fall 2010.

Great job!!

Thank you very much!

Am I the only one not excited at all by Soon or Kingdom or whatever you want to call it?

I think it contributed greatly to the lackluster 360 opening and has certainly yet to prove itself worthy of the iconic status it enjoys here.

Current U2 projects:

• Rick Rubin Sessions

• Confirmed song titles:
      • Rise Above
      • Boy Falls From The Sky
      • Turn Off The Dark
      • Bouncing Off The Walls
      • Bullying By Numbers
      • Pull The Trigger
      • "a dozen" songs more.

• Songs of Ascent

Nicely Done...thanks

Tons of material :drool:

I give the U2 camp (which includes their partners at RS) zero credibility these days with these types of announcements. 99% of the talk from them about recording is bullshit, meant to string us along. U2 needs to return to acting like a band, instead of acting like a concept. New music bouncing off of my eardrums is the only thing that matters.

Edge89, nice work.
Here's some info to consider or not.

Started in: Possibly 2003-2004? Edge's Line6 DM4 Stompbox reveals "Spider-Man (Slide Solo)" in the How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb-book.

You're just going to have to trust me on this, I was one of the core group that was deciphering these things back then. This (the labeled guitar effect) was thought to be COBL at the time, and I am almost positive that is what it refers to. They hadn't named the song (Bono's ever changing lyrics) until late in the game. I seriously doubt that it has anything to do with the Spiderman musical, which was probably not even in earliest pre-production at that time. Julie Taymor was working on Across the Universe before this came up and that film was released in 2008. More or less, I would suggest removing that blurb, but it's your info, you can do what you like.

There was a report early/mid 2004 on U2log that confirmed U2 were going to have a song on a Hollywood blockbuster film that summer (2004) and then later it was mentioned that it was either going to be Spider Man (one of the Tobey Maguire films) or the Gwyneth Paltrow film Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow (or whatever it was called).

The early reports were that this song was called Skyhawk (some will remember this title). Later it became Firefly but along the line we had figured out it was COBL. We talked about this at reasonable length 6 years ago. We figured out all the rest of them too before they were explicitly confirmed, Full Metal Jacket = Native Son = Vertigo , Tough = Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own, there was one we all called "God Song" (from an interview that described it- Michael W Smith?) and we deduced it was "Yahweh" before that title ever appeared in a mainstream publication and so on.

Also, for Edge89, just another suggestion but maybe it should say Soon (aka Kingdom) otherwise people may wonder what happened to that provisional song title?
I'm only trying to be helpful, honestly.

I also have a boat-load of titles (unreleased songs) to add to the list whenever I find it.
These include Treason, Northern Star, Sun Moon and Stars, Bulldozer etc.
Swan269 and I were the keepers of that list at one time, right Swan269? What I mean is, we actually found the list. I don't know how updated my list is, but I have a pretty good memory on these things.

Of course, I don't think a copy and pasting of that list will help anything.
I think I need to go through it under the context of what I know about each of those titles and add something to it. I will do this sooooon... :wink:

Isn't 2 mins (Soon) about the same length of the intro/outro combined?
Don't we already, basically, have that song?

Also, I don't understand why there is a distinction at all between Songs of Ascent and the latter group. There is U2's Thirteenth album and then everything else. Is there a myth about two separate albums that I don't know about?

Also, where did Terra Incognita come from?
Is that something that came from Bonzo or is it truly a fan made title?
Is this the mark to test if some mainstream outlet ever regurgitates one of these lists?
I like it a lot of that is the case, otherwise, I don't know why it's there.

I'll be adding those older song titles to the other thread, maybe even this evening.
No, I won't be including shit from the 1980's and 90's. That stuff is long buried.

I give the U2 camp (which includes their partners at RS) zero credibility these days with these types of announcements. 99% of the talk from them about recording is bullshit, meant to string us along. U2 needs to return to acting like a band, instead of acting like a concept. New music bouncing off of my eardrums is the only thing that matters.

Quite well said! :applaud:

this is all I've found that is worth adding
These are confirmed outright or highly suspected to have been unique songs unto themselves, not earlier versions or provisional titles for songs we already know.

Sun, Moon and Stars (ATYCLB sessions, mentioned explicitly by Bono, pre-release)
Bulldozer (said to be Larry's favorite song during ATYCLB sessions)
Treason (HTDAAB sessions, with production by Dr. Dre)
Northern Star (HTDAAB sessions, tribute to Johnny Cash)
Stop [The Poverty] (Bono said it was the best song ever written)
Lead Me in the Way I Should Go (HTDAAB, mentioned a few times)
If I Could Live My Life Again (inspired by Jorge Luis Borges)
Love Is All We Have Left (mnetioned on a trip to Africa as a Sinatra song)
You Can't Give Your Heart Away (ATYCLB)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom