Songs most U2 fans dislike... but *you* love...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Carmanah

The Fly
Okay, perhaps "love" is a strong word in a case like this, but after the poll where you could vote on the U2 song you dislike the most, what about songs that most people publically trash, but you actually kind of like it?

For me, I'd have to say Babyface.

I don't know why I like it. It's a silly pop song, with a synth on the "musicbox" setting, cheesy "ba-ba-ba-ba" backing vocals, and lyrics about cover girls, tinfoil hair tied up in lace, and freeze frames. But it reminds me of being 13 years old, about 4 months into being a HUGE U2 fan. It takes me back to July 93, and intensely listening to every song off of Zooropa... the same time when Adam Clayton was dating Naomi Campbell. They were always mentioned on the radio after a U2 song played... so I'd always associate the lyrics of Babyface to their relationship, lol.

I can't really hate this song for those reasons... I have too many memories associated to that song! :)

Last edited:
Bonochick said:
I've heard many here say that they don't like WGRYWH, but it is my fave!!!!

Very true! That has to be one of my favourite U2 songs... (one of them, not THEE favourite U2 song).

The reason?

It was the song that got me into U2! It was Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses that stuck in my mind... that struck a chord with me... and made me request Achtung Baby as a gift.

I received that gift several months later, and history was made. ;)

AHHH!! when I read this thread title the first thing I though was babyface!!
How nice :)

I must admit, I don't see how anyone can dislike WGRYWH in the least. Its beautiful. I remember riding down the highway at night listening to that and crying my eyes out.

Also, I LOVE LOVE LOVE Playboy Mansion!

So far, I am in agreement with all the titles posted. I think Babyface is hilarious and really a sly commentary on our voyeuristic culture. Playboy Mansion is much the same...outstanding lyrics, imo. And WGRYWH has always been near the top of my all-time fav U2 songs ever. It just moves me. :yes:

Others that are usually disliked, but I somehow really enjoy are 'Some Days are Better than Others', 'Daddy's Gonna Pay...", EP and America, Grace, Stateless, and WILATW.

I like this thread. :D

My pics:
Trip Through Your Wires
Refugee
Red Light (War freaking rocks, man)
Miami
WGRYWH (I really don't get why people don't like this...)
Tryin' to Throw Your Arms Around the World
Some Days Are Better Than Others
Discoteque
New York
Playboy Mansion
Grace
Daddy's Gonna Pay

Yeah, so I pretty much like all of the ones that most people hate. They're not all among my favorites, although Daddy's Gonna Pay and WGRYWH definitely are, but I do like them all quite a bit.

Indian Summer Sky--a great, great song with dreamy evocative lyrics. Usually gets dissed or more often overlooked. Here's a confession that's going to shock everyone. For quite some time, I liked it more than Bad, at least the studio version of Bad.

Bonochick said:
I've heard many here say that they don't like WGRYWH, but it is my fave!!!!

[color=royal blue]Same. That really shocked me to read that ppl either just didn't like it or thought it wasn't well devloped and stuff......:( That song means more to me than any other U2 song. Maybe it's a personal thing.

I also LOVE Trip Through Your Wires. Maybe it's a harmonica thing.......that song is just so FUN and I love the whole JT/R&H era music..

I seriously love all of JT, AB (except not really Acrobat), R&H, Zooropa (except not really Johnny Cash), and Pop. I can't imagine NOT liking them o_O
[/color]

Last edited:
I agree...aside from the intro, Red Light is awesome! Same kinda deal for me as is Refugee

I'd have to say Tryin' to Throw Your Arms Around the World.

Almost everyone in this bored dislikes this song. It's a simple beautiful song. Especially when played Live.

scatteroflight said:
I would also say New York, which many people dislike strongly, incomprehensibly to me.

Disliking that song is incomprehensible to me as well. Even from the beginning..when the 15second clips came out, that one sounded like a winner to me. Newwwwwww Yorrrrrrrrk!!!

scatteroflight said:
Indian Summer Sky--a great, great song with dreamy evocative lyrics.

I love ISS. I'm also very fond of Babyface.. when I first got zooropa (my 1st u2 album) it was my favourite song for a while. And I've always liked Refugee.

Last edited:
Interesting... I wasn't aware that a lot of people hated New York. That's so strange... that's a FANTASTIC song on ATYCLB, but not only that, it was fantastic live!

New York, when I first heard it, reminded me of early U2. Like, U2 around the October era. It had that rawness to it that you practically no longer hear in U2 anymore... I had thought they lost that ability to sound that way, but when New York came out, I thought, "wow... this is what it must have been like to be a U2 fan in 81 or 82"...

Just when Bono sings that, "A-hoooo...ooooh, Neeew Yooooorrkk... a-hooooooo-oo-oo-ooooh" - it's like the old style of ad-libbing he used to do in the early 80's...

Even the guitar solo is reminiscent of early U2 songs such as 11 O Clock Tick Tock... *shrug*

That's *one* reason why I love New York. There are many others, of course.

Last edited:
Exactly, Carmanah, New York is very reminiscent to me of UF and October. The dream landscape again, in a way. It's great both live and on the CD. The guitar solo is so amazing live--major chills--but I prefer the sound overall of the album version, and probably Bono's vocals too.

After having read that explanation about NY by Achtung Baba some months ago, I really love that song. Before that I also thought that it wouldn't be that bad, but I couldn't make any connection with New York, the music wasn't that overwhelming as well and there were other songs around that attracted me more.........but now that I thought about the song for months and months - I love it! As well as every song of ATYCLB!
And I love the songs of Pop - there are so many Pop haters around here, but every song of that album is great! :heart: Miami is great in it's own way and the Playboy Mansion definitely rocks!!!! :yes:

I used the word 'love' quite often, eh?.....But that's the way it is! :D

When I Look At The World is a beautiful song... I'm stumped as to why people dislike it. (Well, obviously we all have different tastes)...

It kind of reminds me of something they left off of Pop. Edge's guitar solo sounds like it came off of Pop (in my opinion)...

... but the first time I heard that song, it reminded me of a finale... a finale to, perhaps, a fictional U2 documentary... when the credits come up after watching the entire life of U2... the music kind of has that effect on me... it's a sense of reminiscence. The lyrics don't have that effect, but the music does...

strange...

I agree with all of these, especially WGRYWH and Babyface.
I also really like Seconds, which might just not have come up much, or may really be disliked by a lot of people? I'm not sure which.

Refugee and Red Light - I like them. I can't explain exactly why, but I do.

Elvis Presley and America - I don't see why people think it's so horrible. True, Bono's voice is so muffled you can't understand the lyrics, but it still sounds kinda cool.

Trip Through Your Wires, Love Rescue Me, When Love Comes to Town, Angel of Harlem - Some people seem to dislike U2's exploration of American-style music during the late 1980s but I loved it. I don't think it sounded unnatural or forced at all.

Babyface - It's catchy and clever.

Peace on Earth - I think ATYCLB is overrated, but I don't understand why people hate this song. It's one of the most heartfelt ones on the album, besides Kite and Grace. The lyrics sum up exactly how I felt after 9/11.

Last edited:
The Wanderer
Babyface

+ I Still Haven't Found ... doesn't get enough credit over here

Back
Top Bottom