Song Wars!: ABOY vs. COBL

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

discothequeLP

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
im in such a frenzy after finally hearing both songs, the amazing UF feel of COBL and the just plain cool ABOY. but which one is better?

man, edge's guitar solo takes the cake. ABOY!!!

lol, i wanted to send u those clips cause I knew you would love that guitar solo...I dont know, the pure beauty of COBL and classic sound to it, or the attitude, guitar-driven WHO sound of ABOY.. Love them both, so i'll go for a tie for now. But it's funny, and dont get me wrong, I LOVE VERTIGO and its fuckin amazing, but these two tracks kill it IMO.

The Who is really in these songs, yet the driving U2 sound is there, riding high. It's all mixed in with great skill. Makes me grin from ear to ear. These songs pack a punch.

I don't know if better is the word. It's all better!

I would love to know how ABOY could even THINK of competing with COBL. That guitar solo saves it from total oblivion (in an ABOY versus COBL sense).

Put it this way - I've listened to ABOY about ten times. I've been repeating COBL most of the day.

COBL wins this battle by the biggest margin of any thus far. Close this thread now. We don't need to discuss it any more.

On the first listen, I did like ABOY more than COBL. But the latter has grown on me very much. I like it more now. But, I'll wait for real quality clips to form an opinion. But everything sounds incredibly exciting for now!

Axver said:
I would love to know how ABOY could even THINK of competing with COBL. That guitar solo saves it from total oblivion (in an ABOY versus COBL sense).

Put it this way - I've listened to ABOY about ten times. I've been repeating COBL most of the day.

COBL wins this battle by the biggest margin of any thus far. Close this thread now. We don't need to discuss it any more.

Your continuing arrogance is very irritating..

all because of you sounds like itll be better for me... city of blinding lights like it'll be a pretty great song, but it's definitly getting way overrated from a 4 minute low-quality cllip so far. just my opinion.

Oh, this is all very difficult.

When I first listened to the first two clips, ABOY stood out immediately as a "guitar rocker," and I liked that. It had an AB guitar kind of feel to it, so I was in heaven. Not to mention the solo! The first listen of COBL wasn't as good...

But then I listened to it again. And again. Now I can't stop listenening to it! It's such an amazing song, it makes me cry whenever I hear the "Oh - you - look - so - BEAU - TI - FUL!" The only U2 songs that have ever made me cry are WTSHNN, WOWY, NYD, and One, so this is saying something. The lyrics are great, the music is great, EVERYTHING is great. When Edge sings the "ahhh" back-up towards the end after the "oooh" part, I get shivers down my spine.

So right now, COBL is winning, hands down.

I can't say I am too thrilled with ABOY, it just seems too "plain". COBL, on the other hand.....:drool:

Just got back from London (a 6 hour journey) and they were incredible. ABOY is the best out of the two in my opinon. I hated the original wave effected 30sec clips we originally got but its goes to show not to judge on first impressions. Utterly amazing and COBL is certainly a grower although it might take a few more listens before I consider it a great song.

from the very low quality clips i think it is really hard to say, but my initial impression is aboy is kind of a radio song that will not stand the test of time, while cobl is classic u2 . I like aboy and it is certainly very catchy- but not the type of song that has made me a huge u2 fan. i would liken aboy to a song like even better than the real thing, which is not one of my favorite u2 songs. all this could change when i hear the full quality version of both. but for now i like the potential of cobl a lot more than aboy.

Phalanx said:
I can't say I am too thrilled with ABOY, it just seems too "plain". COBL, on the other hand.....:drool:

have you heard the original ABOY clip (the windy one)? i think that gives a better first impression of the song because his voice sounds 100 times better

You have to remember that neither ABOY or Blinding Lights sound nearly as good on those live clips because for one they're really crappy recordings, and secondly they're LIVE!!! They're not gonna be nearly as good as the studio versions in the first place.

They're both great, but I think COBL will be a classic U2 song. Imagine, a videoclip with the band flying through NYC... ABOY is great too.

I'm really scared that (for me personally) Achtung Baby will be replaced by HTDAAB as best U2 album...

COBL = epic
ABOY = fun

That's the best way I can put it, meaning COBL is the winner in the long run.

ABOY is a fun song, but i think it has a longer lasting appeal than vertigo.. its more like desire or mysterious ways

COBL has far more potential. It's pretty and epic.

ABOY is alright, doesn't move me as much though.

COBL gave me the goosebumbs that U2's songs always seem to when I hear them for the first time. ABOY was quite powerful though. They both have a soft classic U2 side and the high energy. I would have to go w/ COBL because it sounds more classic U2.

(Does anyone care about Vertigo anymore?)

shart1780 said:
You have to remember that neither ABOY or Blinding Lights sound nearly as good on those live clips because for one they're really crappy recordings, and secondly they're LIVE!!! They're not gonna be nearly as good as the studio versions in the first place.

Um ... what? U2 always sound better live. I can hardly stand to listen to some songs in the studio now because their brilliance live is absolutely staggering.

Axver said:

Um ... what? U2 always sound better live. I can hardly stand to listen to some songs in the studio now because their brilliance live is absolutely staggering.

Yeah, it's more entertaining, but the quality of the music, vocals, and the overall quality of the sound is usually much better on the albums. Right now I'd much rather hear studio versions than live.

aboy rocks but it sounds like there are gaps in the recording... does everyone else hear the jumps in the track? Edge's solo seems to get cut off and it ends kinda abruptly.

COBL sounds classic but need to hear a clear recording for the nuance. hard to follow with this low quality recording.

Back
Top Bottom