Say if Streets HADN'T been a single

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

monkeyskin

Refugee
What if Red Hill Mining Town had been released instead as originally planned, would Streets still have it's prime spot towards the end of the main set at every single show? I know they're not shy to play old album tracks that the audience love (Bad and Sunday Bloody Sunday are prime examples), but would it be trotted out every single night in pretty much the same way?

Thoughts?

Streets is awesome not because it was a single, but because it is awesome. I know that is circular, but r=r is a valid argument.
Additionally, Bad was never released as a single and yet it is described as a fan favorite.

I reckon so. Opening the Joshua Tree Tour with 'Streets' (which I reckon they still would've done) would be more than enough to make it stand out in the audience's mind as a future staple in the live shows :up:

To add to the list of tour staples that weren't singles: "40" was only released as a single in Germany, and "Sunday, Bloody Sunday" was only released as a single in Germany, Austria, and Japan (everywhere else got "Two Hearts Beat As One").

Actually, RHMT was meant to be the second single rather than ISHFWILF. I don't believe Streets took the place of any other song.

blueyedpoet said:
Streets is awesome not because it was a single, but because it is awesome. I know that is circular, but r=r is a valid argument.
Additionally, Bad was never released as a single and yet it is described as a fan favorite.

True, but they did release a video for Bad.

Axver said:
Actually, RHMT was meant to be the second single rather than ISHFWILF. I don't believe Streets took the place of any other song.

:yes:

And back in '84, there was no official video for "Bad". It was never released as an official single. Much like "Stairway to Heaven", bad became a "hit" or classic U2 song despite not being ever released as a single. U2 have amazingly enjoyed this luxury (of concert classics that weren't singles) several times. As noted above, "Bullet"... and "Until the End..." are two such examples, as is "40". It wouldn't shock me if a song like "Yahweh" from this new album - such an uplifting song about God and faith - remained in future concert setlists. I've been amazed at not only how well this song is received, but how well everyone knows it!

This brings me to another point. Back in the JT and AB days, by the time U2 came to a specific city on tour, it seems the audience was able to sing along with just about any song from the new album. Such was U2's success. But that slipped - big time - with "Pop".

Come 2001, that started returning as fans really knew the songs, even minor songs like "Kite". However, with this tour, it seems that any song U2 have done, people know it. In Boston the other night, while Bono joked that they ended the concert with a song "no one knew", the crowd was singing right along with "Fast Cars". It's great to see this type of fantacism back. :yes:

Back
Top Bottom