sales update for ATYCLB week #67

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

womanfish

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
For all of you here who don't venture over to Where The Album Has A Name forum where we discuss the chart, sales, promotion, etc...

ATYCLB is making a major jump up the charts this week. The official Billboard numbers aren't out yet, but another source is saying they are having a sales increase of almost 120% and jumping up probably into the top 30 or so on the Billboard chart that will be out on Thursday.

thanks for the info, womanfish...

When will you know the actual chart position on Billboard?

oh, er, nevermind, I see that you refer to Thursday **whoops**

[This message has been edited by jezebel (edited 02-12-2002).]

That's GREAT news!! AWESOME!

------------------
Love will make you mine...
Creep up from behind...
Get you jumping out of your skin...
Angel, it's sink or swim.

(??.?(?*?.? ?.?*?)?.??)
?.???. *Monica*.???.?
(?.??(?.??* *??.?)??.)

it brings a smile to my face when the band makes more money-see->
smile.gif

------------------
Imagine:
In Florida the wind is rattling the chimes.
You look over the alligators and the sea grass and water. There it is:
The rocket's burn. The best century ever.
We were here. But now it's time to go.

U2 Jumps to number 25!! from number 66 on the Billboard chart this week, with sales of 46,441, up from 19,174

Congrats!

smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

That's awesome news. This album is unstoppable! How does it compare to AB's run in the US? I'm guessing AB was nowhere near #25 over 15 months after its release.

------------------
Change is the only constant

Originally posted by womanfish:
U2 Jumps to number 25!! from number 66 on the Billboard chart this week, with sales of 46,441, up from 19,174

Congrats!

woohoo! That's awesome news!

Originally posted by Zoocoustic:
Question for the chart experts:

How far away is ATYCLB from hitting the 4x platinum mark?

In sales (to consumers) a little under 600,000. Of course some artists are awarded platinum/multi-platinum on shipments e.g. recent Michael Jackson, whereas U2 tend to wait until actual sales to customers have hit the required level.

Mike

Actually U2 does certify based on shipments like everyone. Initial shipments of the album before the release were low, because retailers were uncertain how the album would sale with it being 4 years after POP. Once release the album sold very fast, and shipments followed. Once an album has been out for a long time, shipments are based on what the previous months sales were and so about 4 to 5 weeks are stocked ahead of the current week.

Originally posted by Foxxern:
That's awesome news. This album is unstoppable! How does it compare to AB's run in the US? I'm guessing AB was nowhere near #25 over 15 months after its release.

Unfortunately, only the first 57 weeks or so of Achtung Baby are known. You can see the chart run in the thread Chart/Sales Statistics on the Where The Album Has A Name forum. AB was probably between #60 and #80. However, by that time AB was already certified as 4x platinum (week 47), a certification ATYCLB still has to get.

C ya!

Marty

------------------
People criticize me but I know it's not the end
I try to kick the truth, not just to make friends

Spearhead - People In Tha Middle

Soundscan sales total for ATYCLB in the USA is now 3,431,928 copies sold. The total shipped figure in the USA is probably about 3,500,000. But that is based on the past few weeks sales and will probably go up sharply now due to the huge sales increase of over 120% and the Grammy's coming up with U2 up for 7 awards. 4 million in sales could come as early as June or sooner.

ATYCLB has to be over 10 million worldwide by now, right?

------------------
"You gotta love living, baby, 'cause dyin's a pain in the ass."-- Frank Sinatra

Adam: Look guys, I got a Springfield spoon for my spoon collection.
Edge: Oh boy, here we go...
Bono: Wow, how many is that now Adam?
Adam: Nine. If I didn't have my spoons, I'd go insane.
Bono: Can I see it?
*adam gives bono the spoon, bono throws it away*
Adam: My spoon!

ATYCLB passed the 10 million mark last year. By some estimates it has passed the 11 million mark now worldwide!

Originally posted by womanfish:

Congrats!

I have two words for this occasion: BOOM. CHA.

ok, I think I posted this in the charts forum but just in case: how possible is it for U2 to get a boost in to the top ten-- if not #1-- if they win a bunch of Grammys? They are now at #25 so it wouldn't be as hard than starting lower down but it would be tough. So what are the possibilities?

Hey everyone,
I am an AVID U2 fan and have been for a long time. Let me state that this post is simply a point of reference and in NO WAY is it meant to knock U2....I am simply pointing something out in order to get some feedback(no pun intended!)

There was an article written in the Montreal Gazette last weekend(posted on U2news.com) entitled, "Bono's Biggest Sellout." Juan Rodriguez, a veteran music critic, implies that Bono has sold out on 2 fronts: in the world issues area and, most notably, in the music industry.

The first part of the article is insubstantial at best and lacks much credible evidence so it didn't bother me that much(things that are destitute of factual evidence should be ignored!)

However, the second part of the article suggests that Bono and U2 have sold out by sending a message of "consume this" when Bono opened his jacket to reveal the stars and stripes of the American flag at the conclusion of their Super Bowl performance.

Fast forward a week and a half later and boom! U2 sales grow significantly--41 spots/120% on the US Billboard charts from #66 to #25.

Listen, part of my attraction to U2 is their dedication, determination and work-ethic toward being the biggest band in the world. However, I must ask you(fans on this site), does Rodriguez make a good point here that U2 certainly did indeed sellout at the Super Bowl?

There is a whole other thread for this, but just to add a short little reply.

NO! U2 were asked, in fact pleaded with, by Superbowl/Fox execs to play the Superbowl after they saw U2 play live during the Elevation tour. They WANTED U2 because they are currently the biggest band out there, and they are the best band out there, especially live.

They were asked to play and the theme of the whole Superbowl was "Tribute to America". Of course they were going to go up there and do something that was pro-American. Bono and U2 have made their support for the U.S. and their post-9/11 actions known. And since terrorism is a worldwide concern, U2 not being an American band is a baseless arguement as well.

They didn't beg to play the Superbowl so that they could get a big boost in record sales. They were begged to play. They were offered money to play and they refused to be paid. Even paying for their own transportation and expenses unlike other Superbowl performers that day.

So my answer to your question is - NO!

not to mention that Bono's been wearing the flag in his jacket for pretty much the entire tour. It's not a new thing. Nor is the 9/11 names on screens.

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
not to mention that Bono's been wearing the flag in his jacket for pretty much the entire tour. It's not a new thing. Nor is the 9/11 names on screens.

Exactly what I was about to say. People think bono bought this Jacket for the Super Bowl or after Sept 11. He was wearing it way before that. I know that for a fact cause my gf and I noticed the flag inside his jacket when they came here to Montreal in Juin.

Linkin Park needs to get out of the top 10. They've been on the charts for 68 weeks now.

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

Linkin Park is really the only other band on the chart that even comes close to U2's 67 weeks. There are a couple others but they are well down the charts. U2 is having a great run. better than I ever expected. I guess it could be worse than Linkin Park too.

MDH - the answer is clear NO - I'm usualy the first to criticise U2 when I think they did something "wrong", but in this case it was no a sell out - they showed to the US public what is real live performance, they were the first to have all halftime for themselves, they brought elevation stage with them, they didn't lip-sing (also the first), and they rocked.

And, as other people pointed out - they did all those things throughout the whole tour, or at least during the last leg

David - I like Linkin park, they don't swear, they don't have the attitude like other hyped bands, and I even like their music - let them have their fun, buetter them than Limp Bizkit

------------------
"Everyone loves me
everyone thinks I'm georgeous
they wait for their turn to meet me..." - Me, 2001.

I agree I like Linkin Park, although I wish U2 would sell more and chart better than them. And Limp Bisquit sukz bIg arse

Back
Top Bottom