Rotterdam January 10, 1990 In The New Rolling Stone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reggie Thee Dog

Blue Crack Addict
Did anyone see in the Review section of the latest Rolling Stone (the one with the Pearl Jam feature) that U2's final "Lovetown" concert in Rotterdam on January 10, 1990 is the selected bootleg for the issue?

This is one of my favorite U2 shows of all time (considering I wasn't there that should tell you something). I've heard the audio recording and seen an video recording both done by fans.

In my opinion this is a must to download!! Great show, great setlist. U2 does not get any more loose with their show or their setlist than at this show. Amazing. :yes:

Yes, I saw the article, but no idea how to download it. And I don't have Real Audio either... Any suggestions? Wanna make me a copy :sexywink:

Main Set: Bullet The Blue Sky, Desire, All Along The Watchtower, Slow Dancing, All I Want Is You, Where the Streets..., I Will Follow, I Still Haven't Found, People Get Ready, Bad, Van Diemen's Land, New Year's Day, Pride

Encore(s): Angel Of Harlem, When Love Comes To Town, Love Rescue Me, 11 O'Clock Tick Tock, Out Of Control, 40

What a setlist... :ohmy:

theu2fly said:
Main Set: Bullet The Blue Sky, Desire, All Along The Watchtower, Slow Dancing, All I Want Is You, Where the Streets..., I Will Follow, I Still Haven't Found, People Get Ready, Bad, Van Diemen's Land, New Year's Day, Pride

Encore(s): Angel Of Harlem, When Love Comes To Town, Love Rescue Me, 11 O'Clock Tick Tock, Out Of Control, 40

What a setlist... :ohmy:
Always struck me as very odd that they didn't play With Or Without You. Anyways, this is probably my favourite all time U2 concert. Bono's voice was scary good that night. The "All I Want Is You" screams in the middle of Bad are spine chilling.

Lila64 said:
Yes, I saw the article, but no idea how to download it. And I don't have Real Audio either... Any suggestions? Wanna make me a copy :sexywink:

:hmm: Could be done for YOU Lila!! So do you want the audio or the video? Actually I have to transfer my VHS to DVD, which I will do and when I do so I will PM you.

Back to the show...opening with 'Bullet' was a sensational, and I believe this might be the first time that 'Bullet' wasn't followed by RTSS...I think. But as Andrew says, Bono's voice was so good that night it is scary!!! I think that this show is heads and tails better than the New Year's Eve show. It might be the loosest, most joyous show that U2 ever played....which is odd considering the dark days that lay ahead of them, during the recording of "Acthung Baby".

Not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but I was actually kind of disappointed when I heard this one several months ago. I had built it up in my mind so that I expected the greatest show ever, and it wasn't. It's good of course, but for me it didn't compare with the Point Depot shows. I think the 1st and 3rd of the four Point Depot shows (last week of December 1989) were the best of the Lovetown tour. The Rotterdam ones seemed kind of sloppy, performance-wise, for me. But that's just me.

Hi there ,

I was lucky enough to be at that show back in 1990.
I`ve gotten tickets for this show coz at the Amsterdam 12-18-89 show Bono lost his voice.

Yeah...it was a great show , maybe the best I have seen U2 play.
I`ve seen the band shows in Holland ever since then.
I still remember Bono threatening to throw a bucket of water on Larry during Edge`s solo in Out Of Control:wink:
Great fun...the band was loose that night.

Also it was the last time the band were in their 80`s style.
Just a year later it was Achtung Baby...!!!!

Put your hands against the screen - The Fly

Cheers ,

Mauwer

Reggie Thee Dog said:

:hmm: Could be done for YOU Lila!! So do you want the audio or the video? Actually I have to transfer my VHS to DVD, which I will do and when I do so I will PM you.

Back to the show...opening with 'Bullet' was a sensational, and I believe this might be the first time that 'Bullet' wasn't followed by RTSS...I think. But as Andrew says, Bono's voice was so good that night it is scary!!! I think that this show is heads and tails better than the New Year's Eve show. It might be the loosest, most joyous show that U2 ever played....which is odd considering the dark days that lay ahead of them, during the recording of "Acthung Baby".

:sexywink: both :sexywink:

:kiss:

I can't burn a DVD on this computer... PM me, we'll work somethin' out :flirt:

65980 said:
Not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but I was actually kind of disappointed when I heard this one several months ago. I had built it up in my mind so that I expected the greatest show ever, and it wasn't. It's good of course, but for me it didn't compare with the Point Depot shows. I think the 1st and 3rd of the four Point Depot shows (last week of December 1989) were the best of the Lovetown tour. The Rotterdam ones seemed kind of sloppy, performance-wise, for me. But that's just me.

Ah so you think they were sloppy? Nah, they were LOOSE, loosey-goosey that night. The performance was the last performance of the 1980's version of U2 and I think they knew it. That's why they threw in 11 O'Clock Tick Tock and Out of Control, to kind of say 'goodbye' to the era of the "earnest" and "glum" U2 of the 1980's.

The Point Depot shows are great...maybe never a greater series of show have U2 played, but the Rotterdam show might be the best show U2 ever played 'period'!!

Just my opinion!

Lila, martha...I always take care of my ladies...always :flirt:

Reggie Thee Dog said:
I believe this might be the first time that 'Bullet' wasn't followed by RTSS

Nope, Bullet/Desire was used on a few Lovetown shows, but even on JT, Bullet was played a couple of times without RTSS following. If I remember correctly, this show was first:

http://www.u2-vertigo-tour.com/show682.html

1987-09-10, Uniondale

1. Bullet The Blue Sky
2. Where The Streets Have No Name
3. I Will Follow
4. Trip Through Your Wires
5. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For / Exodus (snippet)
[And so on ...]

And I think 1989-10-12, Melbourne is the first time Bullet was played in concert without RTSS in the setlist at all. Again, Bullet/Streets opens the show: http://www.u2-vertigo-tour.com/show784.html

Last edited:
Axver said:

Nope, Bullet/Desire was used on a few Lovetown shows, but even on JT, Bullet was played a couple of times without RTSS following. If I remember correctly, this show was first:

http://www.u2-vertigo-tour.com/show682.html

1987-09-10, Uniondale

1. Bullet The Blue Sky
2. Where The Streets Have No Name
3. I Will Follow
4. Trip Through Your Wires
5. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For / Exodus (snippet)
[And so on ...]

And I think 1989-10-12, Melbourne is the first time Bullet was played in concert without RTSS in the setlist at all. Again, Bullet/Streets opens the show: http://www.u2-vertigo-tour.com/show784.html

Bullet / Streets?

And we complained about Pride / Streets? :huh:

theu2fly said:

Bullet / Streets?

And we complained about Pride / Streets? :huh:

I don't see the problem. I actually think it works. Hell, if Bullet/RTSS or Bullet/Miss Sarajevo can work, Bullet/Streets should be a piece of cake.

The Rotterdam 90 shows are all good and there is typically something special about the final night of any tour and this is no exception. However, I would have to agree with those that say its not the best of the Lovetown tour. I would agree with whoever said Dublin 3 was a better show than any of the Rotterdam shows. The band and their crew all indicated in interviews back at the time that they felt the most powerful of the Lovetown shows was the November 18, 1989 Sydney show. Bomb scare before the show, U2 were on their game when they hit the stage on that night you can even hear it even in the OK quality audience recording of it. Whats more amazing is that the whole show was filmed with full production for use in the Lovetown documentary. I think a pro shot and/or complete soundboard of that show is truly one of the holy grails of U2 collecting.

Lovetown to me was the exception to most U2 tours. The first leg was really the best which typically is not the case.

Last edited:
Axver said:

I don't see the problem. I actually think it works. Hell, if Bullet/RTSS or Bullet/Miss Sarajevo can work, Bullet/Streets should be a piece of cake.

It worked ok. But if you listen to the Boston 87 show where they did that line up, it did sound a tad disjointed in transition. Edge just went into the main Streets riff and the band seemed to have a hard time coming in with him in time.

Blue Room said:

It worked ok. But if you listen to the Boston 87 show where they did that line up, it did sound a tad disjointed in transition. Edge just went into the main Streets riff and the band seemed to have a hard time coming in with him in time.

I have heard that bootleg and I know what you mean - it wasn't perfect by any means, but with time, it could've become better if they'd stuck at it. Just compare Bad/Streets from the start of Elevation to the end - or even just a couple of months after the tour began. I think Bullet/Streets could have sounded good had the band stopped playing Bullet during the final verse and the Streets organ kicked in just as or after Bono sings "and we run ... into the arms ... of America". Or perhaps "of Africa" to make it more appropriate to Streets. :wink:

And I agree completely with your other post. 1989-11-18, Sydney is one incredible show.

I pulled out one of my magazines from back at the time that had a review of the Sydney show I referred to. This is a little of what was said in the article.

U2/November 18th 1989
Sydney, Australia
Entertainment Center
Attendance: 12,500 Sellout

The ominous music of “Hawkmoon 269” filled the hall and the cameras zoomed in on Bono’s face, that showed nothing of the stress he must have been going through at that moment. U2 played: Hawkmoon 269 / Desire / All Along The Watchtower / All I Want Is You / God Part II / Bullet The Blue Sky / Running To Stand Still / Gloria / I Will Follow / I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For / Knocking On Heaven’s Door / Bad / Van Diemen’s Land / New Years Day / Pride / encore: Angel Of Harlem / When Love Comes To Town / Love Rescue Me / 40. Halfway through “Hawkmoon”, Bono said: ‘Thanks for sticking around. It wouldn’t be the same without y’all.’ Bono tentatively referred to the bomb scare incident during “Desire”. ‘Turn the lights on Willie! Let me see who we’re dealing with tonight! Let me tell you: everyone gets out of here ALIVE!’ Bono came to the rescue of fans again during “Gloria”: ‘This is a rock & roll concert, not a tennis match; so if these people want to dance, let them dance!’

The bomb scare had obviously fired U2 on and it gave the show an “explosive” atmosphere, making it one of the best of the tour according to the band and their crew. “Knocking On Heaven’s Door” was heartbreaking as Bono improvised on several themes: China, the Iron Curtain, and the struggle for freedom in those areas. The final song “40” also included appropriate snippets of “Give Peace A Chance”.

Well, whether you like the Rotterdam, Point Depot or 11/18 Sydney show best, I have to say that I think the Lovetown Tour may have been one of the best tours U2 ever did.

I just wished I could've seen one.

This concert has the single greatest version of Desire I have ever heard.

AndrewCowley said:
Is Sydney November 18th 1989 the *only* show they ever played that had neither Streets or WOWY? I reckon it might be. Excluding pre 87 shows of course.

Unless I've overlooked something somewhere, you're right. I know 1989-11-18 is the last full tour show to not feature Streets. It was played at the other 32 first leg Lovetown shows. Before that, Streets was played at all 1st and 3rd leg JT Tour shows, and WOWY at all 2nd leg shows (and nearly all on the 1st and 3rd leg).

I think the 1989-11-18 set is convincing proof that U2 can play a fantastic set even without the big hits, even if some people argue a U2 show without either Streets or WOWY is unthinkable.

Reggie Thee Dog said:
Well, whether you like the Rotterdam, Point Depot or 11/18 Sydney show best, I have to say that I think the Lovetown Tour may have been one of the best tours U2 ever did.

I just wished I could've seen one.

me too...

and Reggie.... :kiss:

hahah yeah i saw this in the magazine too! it was a pleasant surprise =)

for non forum go-ers, how are they supposed to download the bootleg? i only have bootlegs because of Interference, but when RS mentions a bootleg, where do they expect the readers to go download it? iTunes surely can't have ALL of them....
limewire?

Back
Top Bottom