Rolling Stone Magazine Coverage (New article 1/7/09)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Unknown Caller is the sequel to Fast Cars. The Unknown Caller is that person who was calling in Fast Cars but that didn't have any ID. I can't wait to hear it. Based on the name I think this is going to be my favorite song. No doubt about it. :hyper:

Look at it this way; who wants to hear negativity? We get enough of that on this board. It would refreshing for someone to actually be excited (yet level-headed) about a future U2 release. No exclamation points, no hyperbole. Just an acceptance that, ultimately, what will be will be, and that staying open-minded is the way to go.

....for me.

you forgot "for me". :wink:

I am overly excited about U2's new album. I wasnt excited about Will I Am coupled with Bonos claims of going after the younger generation. I just hope that he doesnt rap on the album considering on U2's five format page on Rolling Stone that it says "Crazy Tonight Featuring Will I Am is expected to make the cut"....not "produced by Will I Am". Some people didnt like the idea that I am able to express that I dont want that :wave:

Look at it this way; who wants to hear negativity? We get enough of that on this board. It would refreshing for someone to actually be excited (yet level-headed) about a future U2 release. No exclamation points, no hyperbole. Just an acceptance that, ultimately, what will be will be, and that staying open-minded is the way to go.

I think the majority of people have been open, excited, and optimistic.

I think Unknown Caller is the sequel to Fast Cars. The Unknown Caller is that person who was calling in Fast Cars but that didn't have any ID. I can't wait to hear it. Based on the name I think this is going to be my favorite song. No doubt about it. :hyper:

Yes! Inter-album connections!

'Stand up comedy' as a title sounds quite trippy.

It could be a typo or misprint, etc. Just like the whole Sexy Boots/Get on Your Boots/Get Your Boots On crap.

Bottom line is we wont know shit for sure until u2.com announces it and/or we get the album in our hands. There is seriously no sense whatsoever in everyone arguing about this stuff.

I beg to differ... I mean if you want to equate Britney Spears, Usher, and Christina Aguilera to U2 then be my guest...but I think I know what the difference between "POP music" and a "POPULAR band" U2's music is not part of the former.

Who brought up top 40 artists? I would classify WITS as "straight-up pop". I would classify Beautiful Day as "straight-up pop". I classify hundreds of classic albums throughout the history of music as "straight-up pop". :shrug:

Oooh...good call!!!

"My cel is ringing no idea who it is I need to know who's calling!" or something like that....good catch!

I wonder how shorter those threads would be if we had no idea that Will.I.Am is involved in this album. :hmm:

How can you be "almost positive" about the kind of lyrics we will "probably" get, when none of the descriptions we've received so far support what you're saying? :shrug: Don't tell me you have it all figured out based upon a poor-quality, months-old beach clip... All we know definitively is that The Edge claims it's a song about someone in an altered state receiving messages from his phone, and that some of these (cringe-worthy, IMO) messages feature in the song. I really don't think it's a stretch to feel a little apprehensive about it.

Because it doesn't fit what they've done on almost all their previous songs. Like the Fly which as I've already said was described by Bono as a "phone call from Hell but the thing is the guy kind likes it there" note the words Hell, phone or call don't appear in that song. Love is Blindness is about a terrorist car bombing yet it's reasonably oblique. Bono is normally pretty literal when it comes to simple ideas like Crumbs from your table, Sometimes you can't make it etc , but his high concept stuff the fly, gone etc isn't as straightforward. The only exception to that is New York with the clanger line of 'mid-life crisis', you could make the argument that Until the end of the world is pretty straight on, but it comfortably exists as both a song about Judas and a twisted love tale.

And for the record unless you are deaf or english isn't your first language the chorus on the 1st beach clip is pretty clear. It's seems a pretty simple deduction based on the 1st beach clip and the Fez documentary stuff (which has completely different lyrics) that they wanted the staccato two or three word phrases in the chorus "rise up, reboot yourself etc" and fit the 'meaning of the song around it' and on listening it's hardly cringeworthy. Maybe the chorus has radically changed from the beach clip but since Q quotes the lyrics verbatim from the chorus, and musically the chorus didn't change from the Fez session to the beach clip (although the lyrics had) it's hardly a stretch.

I am a little disappointed (please don't shoot me down!) that Cedars of Lebanon is a "ballad" and not an epic rock song. I love the title, and had visions of a new Bullet the Blue Sky, or Hendrix's version of Watchtower. A "ballad" was definitely not what I was hoping for....but I might still end up loving it!

With all these references to Achting Baby, I'm hoping Crazy Tonight might be a Mysterious Ways (or EBTTRT) for NLOTH.

Because I would consider TOP 40 as "Straight-up Pop"

Its cool. We agree to disagree....no worries. :up:

Yeah, it's fine. I'm not sure how to classify it myself. I just know what it is when I hear it.

4131728_0a19460aae.jpg

Looks like the ID is still missing though...Edge said in an interview that Unkown Caller was pretty much everyone's favourite/second favourite on the album.

I think they didn't want to give away too much before their full article came out.

My take is that both articles occured at a time where U2 had not finalized their tracklist yet. Perhaps the band were at such a point when the interviews took place. This happened with the Blender publication of a Bomb article that had Mercy listed on the album.

Oh God! Forgive me, I said the "M" word. ;)

I am overly excited about U2's new album. I wasnt excited about Will I Am coupled with Bonos claims of going after the younger generation. I just hope that he doesnt rap on the album considering on U2's five format page on Rolling Stone that it says "Crazy Tonight Featuring Will I Am is expected to make the cut"....not "produced by Will I Am". Some people didnt like the idea that I am able to express that I dont want that :wave:

No, you have your right to express that "fear"; but I don't think you're using logic at all.

Bono said he wanted to go after the younger crowd. Will.ia.m has been brought in to mix; there has not been one article or gossip line about him rapping.

The guy has produced some of the biggest hits over the past few years. He obviously knows a production method that works.

That doesn't mean he's going to come in and say "This song needs a rapper". He'll use his talents to the best of his ability to make a U2 song sound the way they want it.

I just think getting worried about something that has never been confirmed is silly.

I think the descriptions sound OK. Not enough to really go on. I can't tell if the guitar work, drums, bass, etc is great or not.

Just that the songs fit a certain mood.

I am a little disappointed (please don't shoot me down!) that Cedars of Lebanon is a "ballad" and not an epic rock song. I love the title, and had visions of a new Bullet the Blue Sky, or Hendrix's version of Watchtower. A "ballad" was definitely not what I was hoping for....but I might still end up loving it!

With all these references to Achting Baby, I'm hoping Crazy Tonight might be a Mysterious Ways (or EBTTRT) for NLOTH.

Crazy Tonight is a Phil Spector-ish pop song.

Q said Cedars... is the closer so it would make sense it's a slow song.

My take is that both articles occured at a time where U2 had not finalized their tracklist yet. Perhaps the band were at such a point when the interviews took place. This happened with the Blender publication of a Bomb article that had Mercy listed on the album.

AHHHHHHHH I LOVE MERCY IT'S OBVIOUSLY GOING TO BE ON THE ALBUM! :hyper:

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH MERCY :hyper:

LOUD NOISES! :hyper:

Mercy :yes:

Maybe Winter and Breathe got scrapped in between Q and RS articles.

I will add that Jacknife Lee was brought in to produce/mix a lot of songs on the last album and wasn't he considered a dance/electronica type producer who dabbled in some Rock production?

How did his stuff turn out? I didn't hear any dance beats in any of the songs; but he obviously had some sort of style or feel that U2 wanted to use.

I wasn't overly impressed with his mixes or songs that he had a production credit on....but then I thought he did a better job than Flood on Pop :)

^To be quite frankly, the last few pages are people complainin and/or saying to other stop complain
To me it's fine to talk about the descriptions and what they evoke.
EDIT: My problem is that people are actually making a big fuss about something that was not even heard yet.

Very few people in this thread are making a huge fuss about it (and those who are have been consistently over-dramatic ever since they joined this forum, so it's not that big of a deal. :wink: ) I'm not going to lose any sleep over these descriptions, but I'm certainly not going to shy away from discussing them either.

Look at it this way; without contrasting opinions, there would be very little to discuss. ;) Pages and pages of "it's going to be awesome and I can't wait!" would get very dull very quickly. I'm certainly not prematurely bashing any of these songs -- just expressing a little bit of concern over one or two of them, based upon what I've read. I have fully acknowledged that one cannot place one's complete faith in a song description, and have mentioned multiple times that I will reserve my full judgement for the release date. I am excited. I am optimistic -- just not when it comes to Unknown Caller and Crazy Tonight. I'm allowed to feel that way, am I not?

:up: A perfectly reasonable response regarding CoL.

Regarding 2nd point: I hadn't thought of that before. IF CT is anything at all like MW, then I will be a very happy man.

Very few people in this thread are making a huge fuss about it (and those who are have been consistently over-dramatic ever since they joined this forum, so it's not that big of a deal. :wink: ) I'm not going to lose any sleep over these descriptions, but I'm certainly not going to shy away from discussing them either.

Look at it this way; without contrasting opinions, there would be very little to discuss. ;) Pages and pages of "it's going to be awesome and I can't wait!" would get very dull very quickly. I'm certainly not prematurely bashing any of these songs -- just expressing a little bit of concern over one or two of them, based upon what I've read. I have fully acknowledged that one cannot place one's complete faith in a song description, and have mentioned multiple times that I will reserve my full judgement for the release date. I am excited. I am optimistic -- just not when it comes to Unknown Caller and Crazy Tonight. I'm allowed to feel that way, am I not?

:up: Exactly the point I was trying to make, but you are clearly more eloquent.

I was starting to get sick of myself for being so optimistic (and it's not good to have expectations that are skyhigh anyway).

I also feel that you're getting yourself worked up over nothing in regards to those two songs, and some of us are trying to get some logic in there. :wink: No one called you can asshole for having the opinion you do, we're just tossing our take in as well. I suppose this qualifies as having a discussion.

I agree with popshopper that Unknown Caller is not going to be about a drug addict who talks to his phone, at least on the surface. And Crazy Tonight is not going to be a Christina Aguilera cover. FFS, guys.

Fair enough, I guess. How exactly is it annoying for me to express concern over a joyful, poppy song existing on the album? With the information I have available, this seems like it could be off-putting. Obviously, I haven't heard the album. How many more times do I need to be told to "wait until I hear the album" to discuss something about it? Isn't that why we have this entire forum?

There seem to be 2 types of people posting in this forum right now. Those who want to discuss their reactions to the news we are getting, and those that want to yell at people for doing precisely that.

You answer your own question for me.

But to be blunt, having discussions is usually doubleplusgood. But having discussions about songs you haven't heard is doubleplusungood. Even if said songs have a certain musical element you're not fond of.

Though I don't think it's likely Will.i.am is contributing vocal parts to any U2 songs, but what if he did? What's the big deal? If you don't like it, just skip over it, and talk about the songs you DID like.

Personally, I'd welcome that level of experimentation, even though I'm just a dilettante rap/hip hop fan. But that's just me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom