Red Ships of Scalla-Festa, let's talk about the new album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And incompetent for the rest of us.

:up:

PS- Reggie, I sure the hell hope so. Apparently none of us have ANY idea.

im sorry i forgot about this thread.

what can i say really. all that has been released from the u2 camp about this album is that it will be "guitar-driven" and along the same lines as atyclb.

i must admit, that u2 just doesnt interest me anymore. im tired of the themes bono sings about. ive heard them too many times i guess.

its not that u2 sucks, i think theyre incredible. but ive just come to be far more interested in other bands, and so ive moved on i guess.

Red Ships of Scalla-Festa said:
all that has been released from the u2 camp about this album is that it will be "guitar-driven" and along the same lines as atyclb.
There will be big songs and big melodies, but it won't sound too much ATYCLB. There again, I suppose there are people who thought ATYCLB sounded like The Joshua Tree and even Achtung Baby in some ways; so at this point, you'll find similarities in every past album...they have a distinct sound...but on the surface, like all their albums, when in context of the U2 Canon, really, this next album will sound unlike any other.

Does Zooropa sound like Achtung Baby? That's an interesting question, which I'll leave you to ponder. :wink:

PS. It's actually GREAT you don't listen to much U2 anymore. They'll always be there if you decide to revisit later -- I found they're much better when you forget a little bit. In that way, it's like anything I suppose.

Last edited:
zooropa does not sound like achtung baby to me, not at all.

but u2 isnt interested in creating different tunes anymore. theyre only interested in putting out the best possible song possible, not that theres anything wrong with that at all.

like theyve said for the past couple of years, theyre just gonna focus on what they do best.

Yes, my good man, I agree to some extent with what you say...well, let's just say I completely understand why you would say it. But remember how U2 wanted to write the "song"--in the most literal way possible--on The Joshua Tree? (Well, that's what Bono said...) but anyway, that record, to me, is nothing like The Unforgettable Fire, which is a more interesting record in some ways. U2 wrote a couple "songs" on UF, most obviously so in the case of 'Pride'. They took this idea to The Joshua Tree...and, later, they focussed on the "song" on ATYCLB as well and, while they will be doing the same on the next record, don't expect it to sound much like ATYCLB beyond that aspect. This next album will sound no more like ATYCLB than The Joshua Tree does to The Unforgettable Fire...or Zooropa does to Achtung Baby. While the latter, in each case, incorporates some of the textures discovered on the former, they are completetely different animals...and that process and philosophy will continue into the next record as well. Expect a more adventerous outing this time around...but that said, don't expect any "one" thing.

Last edited:
Yeah, I agree with Mr. Griff. U2 never stands pat. I do not expect ATYCLB II. I mean everyone was waiting for War II in 1984, and what we got was the Unforgettable Fire, which was miles away from War. While it is easy to categorize some music (guitar driven, techno, metal), I think U2 throws all those colors into one hat and when Bono explains it, it sounds much simpler than it is. I really think this album will have more of a fire, and a passion than ATYCLB. ATYLB was passionate, but the fiery, uptempo stuff was few and far between. I don't see that happening on this album.

Enough with the bullocks... here's the Sex Pistols.

... I mean U2.

Oh shite.

I spell phonetically. Besides, it's slang.

Your dog trickery is noted.

im watching led zeppelin (new dvd, well not new anymore)
and since ive been loving you is on and i come here and i see your(CUJO) jimmy sign. man i love this place.

jimmy page is the shiz-net.
:yes:

According to a friend of mine (who knows Michael Stipe and Bono's physical therapist - I'm not making this up), they're only half way through the album. It's been a tough recording process, apparently. Very strong material, though. Take this or leave it. This is just what I've been told. A proverbial grain of salt might be in order.

Note: The U2 albums that have been difficult to make, have usually been the better albums, IMO. Achtung Baby was extremely difficult. ATYCLB was the easiest album they've ever recorded, according to Bono.

Hmmm, interesting. However, I would disagree with you on the fact that ATYCLB was their easiest, maybe in Bono's eyes, but geez the guy was only their half the time. I remember reading in a Q magazine article, where Larry states that Bono's voice was broken through the first half of the recording process.

Hey ask Bono's PT if his voice is giving him problems this time again? However I do, sort of believe that this album has been difficult to record, otherwise we'd be hearing more about it by now.

Reggie Thee Dog said:
Hmmm, interesting. However, I would disagree with you on the fact that ATYCLB was their easiest, maybe in Bono's eyes, but geez the guy was only their half the time.
Actually, that is precisely why he said it was so easy. He wouldn't have to be there much yet they'd still create magic when he did show up. He said the more time he spent out of the studio, the better the songs became when he was there. That's the creative process for you. That said, the rest of the band do get annoyed he isn't around much. Bono found the creation of ATYCLB much easier than other albums because the music came that much easier. With Achtung Baby, if you remember, they were stuck in Berlin for quite some time before finally hitting onto something...that something being 'One', which kind of turned things around for them I guess you could say!
I remember reading in a Q magazine article, where Larry states that Bono's voice was broken through the first half of the recording process.

Hey ask Bono's PT if his voice is giving him problems this time again? However I do, sort of believe that this album has been difficult to record, otherwise we'd be hearing more about it by now.
Bono's voice, as far as I know, is well and good. His vocals will be quite up to par on the new record, have no fear. He is apparently exhausted, a little unhealthy, however. Hopefully the physical therapist will help him with that!
Don't worry about the album being difficult to record. That just means U2 have been challenging themselves this time.

Michael Griffiths said:

Don't worry about the album being difficult to record. That just means U2 have been challenging themselves this time.

Very good. I hope they challenge themselves and make the best fucking album I've ever heard.

In the meantime, I'll just set my sights on a 2005 release.

Well, I think what perhaps Michael Griffiths is trying to say is that the creative differences are causing it not to be easy. Which is a good thing, because if they are differing on creativity, at least they are trying creativity.

ATYCLB is easy to digest, it takes all of 1 or 2 listens. How many times did you have to listen to Achtung or the like?

I think in nearly 2 years or recording.

-they got the Soundtrack and Best Of stuff out of the way
-they have reworked and worked with the ATYCLB leftovers and it's likely (like every other album) only 1 or maybe 2 might make the cut. (Original of the Species is obviously a good contender)
-my guess is that they are done with the ATYCLB stuff currently.
-of those tracks there might be 3 or 4 actually completed and mixed, with as I said only 1 or 2 making it. Probably 2.
-they probably have a pool of 12-14 provisional songs (outside of the ATYCLB stuff they have worked on.
-of those tracks, I'd guess 3 or 4 are completely done.

This lends to Griffiths statement that half the album is finished and they are struggling to iron out the 2nd half.

I'd be willing to bet they have 7 or 8 songs, mixed down and finished.

When it comes time to make the album cutdown, I'd bet they will not have more than 15 to choose from (11-12 for the album, 2-3 B-sides)

Of the remaining tracks to be mixed, recorded, I am guessing that the biggest problems are with lyric writing. Often lyrics can dictate the actual musical direction. This is why I think Bono always says "its a guitar record" then when he brings his lyrics to the table it changes the creative direction of some of the work and it doesnt become a guitar record.

I thought around Sept. 1st they were probably 3/4 done. The absolute silence tells me they are aren't quite there and what Griffiths says tells me they are at the point where those 20 provisional songs that Paul McG talked about are starting to come together, that 7-8 are done, and they are working towards taking the other 12 or so and getting them down to another 7-8.

The thing is at any point and time, they could begin work on a new song, or just totally rework another. Theoretically they could go on forever, but I am still sure they will be done before Christmas. And the album comes out in March or maybe April.

So while they may be only half done, they are probably closer on the other half than some might think. They are probably just taking their time because the half that is done is probably fucking awesome. No need in fucking the rest up.

Nice analysis, U2DMfan. Very nice.

This reminds me of what REM said about the record they've been recording this past year in Vancouver. Something to the effect of, "We could put it out now and put out a really good record...but we want to put out a GREAT record."

Last edited:
StlElevation said:
the wait hurts.

i hope it comes out no later than march or april...

I have lost all hope in that possibility.

Planning a U2 hiatus until the Slane DVD. Going to see REM this month, so I imagine I'll go through a big REM phase, which will be great. I just am sick of waiting for U2's new album. I know they're making it good and that takes time, but I'm just kinda getting tired. There is nothing new out there right now. But it's just time to fill the U2-shaped hole.

Michael Griffiths said:
This reminds me of what REM said about the record they've been recording this past year in Vancouver. Something to the effect of, "We could put it out now and put out a really good record...but we want to put out a GREAT record."

As long as they don't rush it out like 'Pop', and issue songs that are 3/4 finished, I'll be happy to wait. I'm not knocking 'Pop', because I listen to it a lot, however I know the songs could've been stronger.

I'll wait for a solid, cohesive, finished album!! My guess is still March of 2004.

Yeah, I bet you're right. This is the first time they've worked with anybody truly new as a producer. I know that Eno/Lanois weren't involved with POP, but Flood was the senior member of the production team, whom they had worked with before. This guy is probably bringing new techniques into the picture, and bringing more things out of them. I'm sure the results will be fantastic.

Tom Petty said it best when he said "the waiting is the hardest part, everyday it seems more and more hard". I'm starting to get more into other bands, but none of them are my favorite band.

Back
Top Bottom