R.I.P U2 songs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gman

New Yorker
400th post so I thought ad start a wee debate...so am Wondering here............are there any u2 songs that you think have been laid to rest and unlikely to surface again? Obviously, am not reffering to the likes of Acrobat etc, more songs that have had airings in the past on other outings

Last edited:
Like A Song and Indian Summer Sky sure aren't coming back in a hurry.

gman said:
400th post so I thought ad start a wee debate...so am Wondering here............are there any u2 songs that you think have been laid to rest and unlikely to surface again? Obviously, am not reffering to the likes of Acrobat etc, more songs that have had airings in the past on other outings

Well especially after the last two tours, nearly every song u2 have performed so far might be played again, so my list is more a kind of wish list than anything else:

BOY: "Twilight" (Yes, I know it's been a long time ...)
OCTOBER: "October" (Such a beautiful piece of music ...)
WAR: "Two Hearts Beat As One" (Could be a rocker ...)
THE UNFORGETTABLE FIRE: "The Unforgettable Fire" (A must ...!)
THE JOSHUA TREE: "Exit" (It would be mindblowing ...)
RATTLE AND HUM: "God Part II" (Might be a great puncher ...)
ACHTUNG BABY: "Ultra Violet" (Well, what else ...)
ZOOROPA: "Dirty Day" ( ...like horses over the hills ...)
POP: "Please" (Or anything else from this album ...)
ALL THAT YOU CAN'T LEAVE BEHIND: "New York" (A good one, ey?)
HOW TO DISMANTLE ...: "Crumbs From Your Table" (Great one ...)
18: "Window In The Skies" (Beautiful, beautiful tune ...)

BOY: Shadows and Tall Trees

OCTOBER: I don't think many tracks will be revived from this album except for Gloria, October, and Tomorrow. I think Edge has expressed dislike for With A Shout so that's gone for good.

WAR: Like A Song (only got played once, doubt it will be revived)

THE UNFORGETTABLE FIRE: Indian Summer Sky (only played nine times)

THE JOSHUA TREE: Trip Through Your Wires (many see it as the weakest song on the album, doesn't have a large fanbase)

RATTLE AND HUM: Sadly, we'll probably never see Hawkmoon 269 again (only played 8 times), Silver and Gold, God Part 2, and Love Rescue Me seem like long shots at best.

ACHTUNG BABY: The only one fitting here is So Cruel. It was only played about 3 times the whole Zoo TV tour.

ZOOROPA: Zooropa and Babyface never worked out live.

POP: Do You Feel Loved and If God Will Send His Angels were deemed as failures live so I don't think they'll be back.

ATYCLB: Wild Honey was dead after 11 appearances during the Elevation Tour.

HTDAAB: Too soon to tell but I'll put my money on the Vertigo Tour being the end of Miracle Drug, Crumbs From Your Table, Yahweh, and Fast Cars

Joey788 said:
BOY: Shadows and Tall Trees

OCTOBER: I don't think many tracks will be revived from this album except for Gloria, October, and Tomorrow. I think Edge has expressed dislike for With A Shout so that's gone for good.

WAR: Like A Song (only got played once, doubt it will be revived)

THE UNFORGETTABLE FIRE: Indian Summer Sky (only played nine times)

THE JOSHUA TREE: Trip Through Your Wires (many see it as the weakest song on the album, doesn't have a large fanbase)

RATTLE AND HUM: Sadly, we'll probably never see Hawkmoon 269 again (only played 8 times), Silver and Gold, God Part 2, and Love Rescue Me seem like long shots at best.

ACHTUNG BABY: The only one fitting here is So Cruel. It was only played about 3 times the whole Zoo TV tour.

ZOOROPA: Zooropa and Babyface never worked out live.

POP: Do You Feel Loved and If God Will Send His Angels were deemed as failures live so I don't think they'll be back.

HTDAAB: Too soon to tell but I'll put my money on the Vertigo Tour being the end of Miracle Drug, Crumbs From Your Table, Yahweh, and Fast Cars

Babyface was brilliant live the few times i saw it.
I'd like to see Drowning Man played, and Another Time Another Place, Red Hill Mining Town too, but there's no hope. I'd also like to see a proper full live version of Zooropa, but I feel all of them will R.I.P.

Joey788 said:

I'm not sure why you'd totally discount God Part II. It's one of the more heavily played RAH songs outside of the big hits, and it was nearly performed on ZooTV.

What you're overlooking here is that Wild Honey's performances became more rather than less frequent as the tour progressed. It was done just once on the first and second legs each, then nine times on the third leg. Now, while it's critical and on life support, I don't think the plug has been pulled just yet. I'm not willing to categorically say it'll never be played again, not after The Ocean came back anyway. It could suit an acoustic set.

The only song I thought was gone for good from ATYCLB was In A Little While*, and it came back on Vertigo. I based that on the "rule" that any song ditched significantly prior to the end of its debut tour is never played again. The most prominent example of that was WGRYWH. But of course, both it and IALW showed up again on Vertigo, destroying that "rule". Maybe there's hope for DYFL and IGWSHA too?

*I am obviously only referring to songs from ATYCLB that got played in full here, not the three omitted ones (POE, WILATW, Grace).

Axver said:

I'm not sure why you'd totally discount God Part II. It's one of the more heavily played RAH songs outside of the big hits, and it was nearly performed on ZooTV.

I'm not sure Bono could really sing the song anymore Axver. On the Lovetown tour as I'm sure you know, he would often sing rather than scream the loud verses, only really belting out the final one. I suppose he could do that today, but I still think it would be very difficult for him, it was a struggle in 89 and they'd only just recorded it.

DevilsShoes said:
I'm not sure Bono could really sing the song anymore Axver. On the Lovetown tour as I'm sure you know, he would often sing rather than scream the loud verses, only really belting out the final one. I suppose he could do that today, but I still think it would be very difficult for him, it was a struggle in 89 and they'd only just recorded it.

While you have a point (and I certainly don't see God Part II as a good possibility; just not an RIP candidate yet), U2 could redo the song to suit Bono's voice. And, hey, they're still performing Pride; surely Bono can't butcher God Part II as badly as he butchers Pride these days. :wink:

Also, I prefer the way he sung God Part II on Lovetown compared to the album version.

U2girl said:

Yeah, it and Acrobat were very serious candidates for the third leg. Shame that didn't come about ... I don't think God Part II got quite as close as Acrobat to a performance, but it must have been a fair way along as I believe it was mentioned as a potentiality in a press article.

Axver said:

Yeah, it and Acrobat were very serious candidates for the third leg. Shame that didn't come about ... I don't think God Part II got quite as close as Acrobat to a performance, but it must have been a fair way along as I believe it was mentioned as a potentiality in a press article.

It would have been interesting to see what they would have done with God Part II on Zoo Tv, considering that his 1992 voice was quite different from his 1989 voice I wonder how he would have handled it. I've always been a bit perplexed by how rapidly his voice seemed to change from the end of Lovetown to Achtung Baby, the two are only a year or so apart and his voice has lost that golden richness and feels more lightweight. Not that I'm slating it, he had some great nights on Zoo Tv, but the sudden change has always confused me.

Snowlock said:

These two are too easy to perform. I'll be we'll see them again; especially Yahweh.

They never polished Fast Cars, it'd be great if they did but most of the time on Vertigo it was pretty bad.

I get the feeling that ABOY is a goner. It failed them as a single and they dropped it from their sets pretty readily after a while. I dig it though.

I could see Yahweh making an acoustic cameo now and again. Same with SYCMIOYO. That's one of those songs that I can't believe they played EVERY night. I understand it's importance, but that's quite an emotional workout for EVERY gig.

I think that they will bench BTBS for the next tour. No reason really, just a feeling. Same with NYD.

I also think that they could shelve the Boy record next tour. They gave several songs a good workout and nodded to that era of their career. I could see them skipping it next go round.

From HTDAAB:

Re-appearing:
Vertigo
City of Blinding Lights
Yahweh
Fast Cars

Done:
Miracle Drug (it was gone half-way through this tour anyway)
SYCMIOYO (I think they realized that Kite has more power, hence bringing it back)
LAPOE (THE Vertigo Tour song, specific to this tour, specialized with Larry and Bono on the drum, wouldn't make much sense in another context)
ABOY (= LNOE to Popmart)
Crumbs (barely played anyway)
OOTS (they've had a tough time arranging it this tour)

I think Yahweh and Fast Cars would work as one of the acoustic songs they rotate pretty well with.

I don't think Fast Cars will come back. Great song, but I can't see them dipping back into b-sides/bonus tracks from an older record when they'll have a new record to flog. And as an acoustic number, it would make it's weakness apparent - it's a few verses short of a finished song, lyrically speaking.

And ABOY=LNOE is indeed the correct U2math.

The energy of Fast Cars comes from the crowd watching Bono fuck up the lyrics. :wink:

Kiki said:

:sad:
that's one of my favorite "happy" songs. I dont know why...it just ALWAYS puts a smile on my face.

Apart from sharing my wee name for my little son (Kiki) which is cool, I completely agree with you about Trip thro your wires. I think it is a superb song and prob in top 4 faves of the JT. Love playing along with it on my Bass.

I think that they will bench BTBS for the next tour. No reason really, just a feeling. Same with NYD.

NYD went down really well in the vertigo tour, I think we'll be seeing that one around again

BTBS - It worked well on the last two tours and it's one of their favorite songs, isn't it?

Back
Top Bottom