question about the Hansa sessions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Around the time of the leaks Bono said somewhere "It's like having your diary read in public." So he (and the rest of the band) wasn't too happy about it, certainly not in the beginning.

C ya!

Marty

KhanadaRhodes said:
:yes: but it also should be worth noting bono eventually bought a copy of it. i'm not sure about the other members though. :wink:

Actually he had one of his assistants with Principle buy it at a record fair (show) because he wanted to know exactly what was on it (curiosity). That is when he mentioned the diary comment as mentioned previously. He also called it gooblegook, or something along those lines.

There was quite an uproar over this though at that time. It is one of the few times Principle has really gone after bootleggers and they had the plant in Germany that was pressing them shut down and I believe several people were prosecuted. They still dont know who stole the tapes for sure but they think it was someone that worked for Hansa or worked at the hotel U2 were staying at in Berlin as some of the tapes from some of the crew came up missing from the hotel. U2 now has every studio tape/CD made for crew and even the band marked and cataloged so they can track it if something like this happened again.

Last edited:
There was also some dust-up from McGuinness as regarded the quality of the material, that it (obviously) wasn't polished work, etc etc.

B's comment about "it was like having your notebook read out.." was sobering to me, even though I dearly love some of the tracks.. they're fascinating to me as a musician, to hear how songs evolve for U2... and the fact that 3/4 of it is in bongolese makes it even better at least to me.. listening to these tracks is like being a privileged visitor to the studio sessions.. given how exposed it made them feel i do believe they should be treated with respect.

Interesting site. However, they jump to some conclusions that arent necessarily true. It was never known for sure if the tapes were lifted at the hotel or if they were Bono's. It was suggested that it was a possibility. Given Bono's history of being absent minded I would say its a distinct possibility, but they dont know and never will know exactly how they got out. Still an interesting read.

Back
Top Bottom