Q Magazine album review

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

achtung y'all

The Fly
THE BIG BANG
That post-irony purple patch shows no sign of ending

4 out of 5

Is there a rock band as universally liked as U2? Everybody has time for U2. Through a combination of humility, self-depreciation, the suspicion that their hearts are in the right place, globetrotting charity work and an enviable songbook, their popularity remains intact. 2004's new indie contenders lift their sound from old U2 LP's (The Departure and 1981's October, for example) and even musicians fabled for their anti-rock stance can name their favourite off the Joshua Tree.
Dispatched to report on the Miami Winter Music Conference a couple of years ago, this writer was surprised to find proceedings aborted one evening while a dozen club runners, promoters and DJs decamped to watch the first night of the Elevation Tour in Fort Lauderdale. There, hardened dance commandos punched the air to New Year's Day and welled up during The Sweetest Thing.
U2 have never taken their audience for granted. Unlike, say, The Cure or Nick Cave, they at least endeavour to make each LP just the once. Interviewed by film-maker and sometime collaborator Wim Wenders in the 1992 issue of U2's official magazine Propaganda, Bono considered his band's longevity. "It's at the point where people say to us we can't do this or that because we're U2, (and) that makes us want to do it even more. From (our) past and what's being done today, we are trying to build a future." Then he did a very Bono name-drop. "William Burroughs said, You cut up the past to find the future."
William Burroughs would surely have approved of How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb. While never going as far as actually reheating former glories, here U2 have effectively sampled themselves. It's a very U2 record. Talking up 2000's Beautiful Day, The Edge explained he had revisited his "Coca-Cola riff" - by which he meant it was his classic trademark, not that it made your teeth hurt - after three albums in denial. The Coca-Cola riff makes another appearance here, along with an arsenal of guitar noises that bring to mind a particularly impatient boy with a new box of indoor fireworks: there's tricks going off all over the place. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own sends a single repeated note ringing through digital delay. City Of Blinding Lights piles on the slide and distortion. All Because Of You features a heavily manhandled acoustic guitar. It's The Edge who makes this record: embellishing the so-so Yahweh until it becomes something more interesting. His riff on lead-off single Vertigo was beefy enough to convince Radio 1 tastemaker Zane Lowe to playlist the band, after a decade of strange abstinence from the station.
There are many highlights. Vertigo will remain exhilarating until someone can finally work out where U2 have pinched the melody from. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own complements the great Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of with a revision in subject: it's a lament for Bono's recently deceased father. Original Of The Species and All Because Of You will make strong singles. The casbah-vibed closing - and UK-only - track Fast Cars is a thrilling curio: offbeat without sacrificing it's tune at the conceptual altar.
Bono's lyrics continue to be an impenetrable hotchpotch of allegory, humanist egotism and Christian longing. There's nothing as direct as One here, and plenty of U2 fans will remember from before: the rain is still poisoned, the bullets still rip the sky and a brown-eyed girl is still moping about somewhere (though, on Miracle Drug, we do learn that freedom "has a scent like the top of a newborn baby's head"). But Crumbs From Your Table, where the singer is reportedly railing against the Ugandan Aids crisis, never quite comes together as a memorable tune.
It's a small gripe. Speaking to Q last month, Bono explained that U2's continuing motivation was "not becoming crap like everyone else does".
With their 11th studio album, they've succeeded in not becoming crap quite admirably.

Essential track: Original Of The Species

Yeah they all got 4 stars. I was hoping for a 5 out of 5 for this album, but seems like Q want to play it safe! There's also a lot of filler in this review, so I wonder if that's part of the 'listening to it once' problem.

Well, I think it is very hard to give an album 5 out of 5 right away. That means it is a classic. Most of the times, you can't hear that the first few times you listen to it.
I also disagree with the filler in the review. While it doesn't comment on the album, it does try to place U2 and the album in its appropriate context, making it easier for readers to 'place' the review in their own value system. By referencing the importance and likeability of U2 the reviewer raises the bar for this album. By giving it then again an excellent review, the reader knows a bit more what to expect. "Here's one of the most important bands ever and they've yet again made an excellent record. So I won't be wasting money if I buy it."

C ya!

Marty

P.S. IIRC, Passengers also got 4 stars from them. :)

face it, it's probably a 4. it breaks no new ground - shouldn't a 5 have to do that?

and unless I am mistaken, none of you have heard the album. Reviewing a review of an album you haven't heard yet is the height of folly.

4 is a good score and let's face it, Achtung Baby has improved with age and songs like One are only now receiving the credit they deserve. AB in now regarded as their 2nd best album behind JT, some people even consider it to be their best, so this album might yet become their new classic.

Who knows. Certainly none of us, because apart from Vertigo, we haven't heard any of the other songs properly yet.

ludilobrate said:
Q REWIEV is just crap...U2 deserves 5 not 4

Oh, have you heard it? Tell us all about it.

Just wait for the album everyone.

How can you moan about a 4 star rating ?. Most bands would give their right arm for that critical aclaim. Granted that AB got 5 stars but it was a different reviewer on a different day. For the record NME only gave AB 7 out of 10 when it came out first.

There are a lot worse things than a 4 star review. There will be a lot more reviews than just Q.

How can anyone possibly say the new record deserves a 5/5 rating without hearing it? just because it's U2? or because the band say it's their finest work? that's rubbish.

A 4/5 is a quality review. I can't help but feel that some people are gonna be sorely disappointed with the record if they're going about with the attitude that this album should strole 5/5 rating.

there will be plenty of disappointed people in the new album.

Those who listen intelligently to music understand that a new U2 album is going to require a year's worth of listening in order to pass judgment.

There are people who have given this album "alltime best status" before listening to it.

I am actually looking forward to the torrent of criticism that will be levelled against the album on this site by people who were expecting the second coming. It might make people smarten up about the music business.

Is the Q Review the only review so far with a score (except for The Sun's 11 out of 10) ?.

Surely some other publication have given it a rating.

Does anyone know ?.

You know, this reminds me of the Lord of the Rings Fans and the critics who reviewed the movies. 95% of all critics either liked or loved those movies, but when one critic would give a film a 4 star rating out of 5, people flipped out. Comical to think that we could read the four or five previews and the two or three reviews we've seen and come away with a negative vibe for the new disc. Really, you're going to see some lower ratings even if this thing is JT and AB combined, simply because everyone's got different taste.

Oh, and the band haven't said its their best ever work. I know they say they won't put something out unless its better than what they'd done before, but I think I've seen quotes from a couple of places saying that they think HTDAAB comes close to AB, but they've not said its better or even as good.

ascender_RS said:
Oh, and the band haven't said its their best ever work. I know they say they won't put something out unless its better than what they'd done before, but I think I've seen quotes from a couple of places saying that they think HTDAAB comes close to AB, but they've not said its better or even as good.

True, but I don't think the band would ever come out and say this album is better than AB, even if they thought it was. That's the kind of statement that becomes bullets for the critics when one of them has a bad day and then listens to the new disc. That's the kind of statement that could turn off fans who worship the thin piece of plastic day and night. It's almost easier to say "COULD BE OUR BEST ALBUM EVER!!" than to say it's better than AB.

I am not saying this album will be as good, I'm just stating where the band is probably coming from.

I think the band recently said AB was their best and that this record was close...I saw this in an interview somewhere.......I think it would be great if they released Passengers II and scrapped HTDAAB. Could you imagine the backlash?

deserves 5, catch a grip the whole world doesnt live and breath u2 like us! 4s the absolute correct mark, exactly what all that you cant leave behind and this deserved, joshua tree and achtung are the only 5s in u2s catalogue.

I find it interesting how people are getting on the defensive for this album without actually hearing it. For all we know it may very well be a 4/5 stars album (like that would be the worst thing in the world). Besides, the English press has a love/hate relationship with U2. Q isn't too bad. NME on the other hand...whew...

Back
Top Bottom