Postcard from The Edge (Q magazine)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
little late reading this thread - go Edge! Eloquently written with honest emotion (doesn't hurt that he is speaking about the candidate that I have spend quite a bit of time volunteering for) Hope this feature continues. Each month is better than the last - but Edge you had me at salad dressing :)

Great postcard The Edge, I dont think alot of Americans get the fact that the entire (and i mean entire) world other than America is anti Bush (God bless Fox), its almost got to the stage were it has stopped being political. I liked the Rory Gallagher stamp in the one a couple of months ago, Rory=legendo

desire25 said:
To argue all peace or all war is a little silly. No one wants war, but sometimes it is necessary. Look at Russia now. Look at Germany. Look at Afganistan. Look to Iraq's future. Democracy and Liberty is the cause of America in war. You may not like all the frat-guy, meat heads chanting "USA! USA!", but they are the reason you aren't saying the pledge to the swastika flag or standing in line for toliet paper in a communist grocery line. Kerry said we couldn't win against the communists. But now Russia is a free nation....

ok in reference to the above quote.. just a little comment from me.
we were able to remove a dictator through a peaceful rally. there was military involved... there was defection from the marcos dictatorship but the civilians came in, a million or so marched into the main highway of the city. and now we are a free nation. there was no war. 22 yrs after , we removed an inept ambitious actor who thought being a president is just acting out the role of his life. again no war. no bloodshed. i hope the world learns a thing or two of how we did it in our country. funny though that we have been branded close to being a terrorist haven. we often hear news that we are on some superpowers list of countries to strike off your vacation list. strange. i dont think even think there are nuclear warheads aimed out our country.
we are a country of peace loving people. and i guess if you have strong adherence to peace, everything else can be achieved. yeah even removing a dictator. sometimes you can make it on your own.... peacefully.:|

desire25, you said what I wanted to say.

War just causes more war. The history of the last century is a chain of linked wars. Can anyone think of a counter-example, a war that has fixed a problem without causing any more?

What bothers me is that just when we are getting to the stage where we finally have a common enemy (not aliens! environmental problems) instead of working together to fix it we're busy fighting over oil, with religion and fear as excuses.

How can we possibly fix this? I don't know. But empowering ordinary men, women and children everywhere with education, health care and fair trade, so they don't have to fight and wreck the place just to survive, so they can create their own democracy (if that's what they want) sounds like a good start.

lost poet

I read the beginning of this thread a little late, but couldn't resist commenting further here...
Cause I really liked how U2 'came out' against the terrorists post 9/11 by coming out so gorgeously *for* the US, with exactly
that flag-wearing. I just fuckinglove that image of Bono onthe cover of Time with his cocky pose and his revealing the american flag lining his jacket, that was brilliant!

See, he didn't wrap himself in it, he kept it in under wraps, but showed us in a revealing way, not a proud lookiewhati'mwearing
bit. Utterly sexy, very healing, very loving. It said I'm-with-you
america without saying fuck you to anyoneelse. It must
have been at least a little terrifying to have set off USAUSA chants with an invitation for ubl to kiss his ass, goodness me.
Wait, didn't a policeofficer or a firefighter at some big event say that same thing, you can kiss his royal irish(-american) ass?

Anyway, don't mean to restart any fires...just saying I really liked the bono-flag-lined-jacket.

ShellBeThere said:
It must
have been at least a little terrifying to have set off USAUSA chants with an invitation for ubl to kiss his ass, goodness me.
Wait, didn't a policeofficer or a firefighter at some big event say that same thing, you can kiss his royal irish(-american) ass?

Yes, a fire lieutenant originally did say that.

And hearing the USA chants made me shake my head and think that kind of attitude is what got us into this mess...
I'd like to think at the time that so many were just in such a vunerable place that doing so somehow reasserted thier confidence and that it just came out oddly. But of all places to do that--at a U2 concert.

I just stood there with my little peace signs in the air, a song on my heart and tears in my eyes...silently thanking the band for creating some poignant moments during thier show to apply salve to my broken heart.

Back
Top Bottom