POP Revisited - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-06-2004, 01:30 PM   #1
War Child

Local Time: 04:08 AM
POP Revisited

I listened to POP over the weekend (it's been a while since i gave it a spin), and was struck by how awesome it really is....There is only one weak song - Playboy Mansion. This is a criminally underrated album, in my opinion. I even love the much maligned, Miami. Gone and Please are classics, up there with the best of U2. Wake Up Dead Man is a great closer.

I don't want to start another war, but, as much as I love HDTAAB, i think POP is the better album. The songs have a certain boldness and edgy (no pun intended) quality to them, which is mostly absent from HDTAAB.

I miss when U2 was "weird," as one of my friends put it. As much as everyone complained about the '90's and how they strayed too far off the traditional U2 path, i think it is their best decade, musically speaking. U2 may not have been totally satisfied with POP, but i think it will stand the test of time.

But I can't complain really - after 25 years, they are number one in 22 countries, they still are the best live band on the planet, and they can still make records like HDTAAB.

Old 12-06-2004, 01:37 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:08 PM
I won't bother elaborating endlessly on the "How?" and the "Why?" of it all, cuz I've done a good deal of that in the boards, of late...but I'll say that I almost entirely agree with you.

I think that the new album is very strong, very well-written, and comptetently performed, but (for better or worse) I don't think that it's a classic. I think that, for me, Pop is. The only thing that I'd have to take issue with is your dislike of "The Playboy Mansion;" you don't have to like it, but I LOVE it, personally. I actually just posted about this a day or two ago and went into length about how much I loved the song--I agree that Pop is a criminally-underrated album, but I think that "The Playboy Mansion" is even more criminally-underrated.

That said, I also find "MOFO," "Gone," "Please," "Wake Up, Dead Man" and just about EVERY other song on the album to be among the cream of the cream of the cream of the expansive crop of U2 songs. Even "Discotheque," if you must know....AND I LOVE THE VIDEO!!!! No shit...I do!!

Old 12-06-2004, 01:37 PM   #3
Refugee

Local Time: 10:08 PM
Re: POP Revisited

Quote:
Originally posted by purpleblackeye
I listened to POP over the weekend (it's been a while since i gave it a spin), and was struck by how awesome it really is....There is only one weak song - Playboy Mansion. This is a criminally underrated album, in my opinion. I even love the much maligned, Miami. Gone and Please are classics, up there with the best of U2. Wake Up Dead Man is a great closer.

I don't want to start another war, but, as much as I love HDTAAB, i think POP is the better album. The songs have a certain boldness and edgy (no pun intended) quality to them, which is mostly absent from HDTAAB.

I miss when U2 was "weird," as one of my friends put it. As much as everyone complained about the '90's and how they strayed too far off the traditional U2 path, i think it is their best decade, musically speaking. U2 may not have been totally satisfied with POP, but i think it will stand the test of time.

But I can't complain really - after 25 years, they are number one in 22 countries, they still are the best live band on the planet, and they can still make records like HDTAAB.
I like the album a lot, even though it is one of my least favorite U2 albums. My biggest complaint is not that it sounds unfinished, it is the tracklisting. Any song sounds great on its own (except for possibly Miami and Playboy Mansion), but the album drags a little. I think my issue is that tracks 1-3 are all heavy techno/dance rock tracks, 5-7 are the regular rock tracks, and 8-10 are the more experimental trip-hop or drum n'bass tracks. It just neede to be mixed up, and I would add the Guilty version of Holy Joe.

Hey purpleblackeye - Wilco fan?
Old 12-06-2004, 01:39 PM   #4
War Child

POP helped define U2 and build their legend in many more ways than people realize. The lyrics to the songs give you different insight into the band and what they are about, and also let you experience a different way that they can play their instruments. It is up with their best, but picking their best is always tough.

As a matter of fact, right now, I'm listening to 'Gone'. I remember the impact that song had on me right from the first time I heard it, back when I was in college. It's definitely a first class 'rock and roll' song from a first class 'rock and roll' band. My life would not be the same without those POP songs.
Old 12-06-2004, 01:43 PM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

I'm a Pop fan. I am not a fan of Miami - and I've LOVED every other song U2 has made. IMO, Pop is brilliant, and it's only blemish is Miami.

You can never please all of the U2 fans. Some say the 80s were the best (w/ passionate anthems) and others will argue for the 90s (w/ experimental music) & now the 2000s (w/ U2 by numbers so to speak). Someone will always complain. I've found it pretty easy to just enjoy the band in each of it's "phases" and like the twists and turns.
Old 12-06-2004, 02:08 PM   #6
Refugee

Re: POP Revisited

Quote:
Originally posted by purpleblackeye

Yes I love a POP debate and comparing HTDAAB to Pop is like comparing Bon Jovi's Slippery When Wet to The Joshua Tree. There is no comparison Pop pisses all over HTDAAB, sorry but it does!
Old 12-06-2004, 02:14 PM   #7
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by If you shout...

That said, I also find "MOFO," "Gone," "Please," "Wake Up, Dead Man" and just about EVERY other song on the album to be among the cream of the cream of the cream of the expansive crop of U2 songs. Even "Discotheque," if you must know....AND I LOVE THE VIDEO!!!! No shit...I do!!
The video to Discotheque is GREAT. Why is it not? They are taking the piss, having a laugh, that is what its all about. The music is great as well. Pop IS GREAT. I Love Pop, every track. The weakest song on the album is If God Will Send His Angels, I prefer the single version, but songs that are always pulled down here like Miami and Playboy Mansion are superb, and they never tire of listening even after 7 nearly 8 years.
Old 12-06-2004, 02:20 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Old 12-06-2004, 02:25 PM   #9
The Fly

If finished, this album would have been incredible. I think Achtung would have kinda sucked if it was unfinished. (Ducks to avoid anything that might be thrown at him) POP really had tons of potential. Its kinda funny, I was listening to it last night. There's a certain life to it that ATYCLB and HTDAAB don't have. If they had more time, it might have been the best ever.
Old 12-06-2004, 02:27 PM   #10
Refugee

It damn nearly is the best ever, I listen to Pop the 2nd most next to Achtung baby.
Old 12-06-2004, 02:29 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Question: WHY do some of you feel the need to keep touting Pop and how great it is and how much the new albums suck? Are some of you still that insecure about Pop's bad rep? Isn't 7 years enough to get over it? Put it to bed already.
Old 12-06-2004, 02:37 PM   #12
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten
Question: WHY do some of you feel the need to keep touting Pop and how great it is and how much the new albums suck? Are some of you still that insecure about Pop's bad rep? Isn't 7 years enough to get over it? Put it to bed already.
I think you will find if the new album had been 'the great album' we all wanted then not many people would be starting discussions about Pop 2 weeks after the release of htdaab.
Old 12-06-2004, 02:38 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

It's much better 2 weeks after its release than Pop ever was or ever will be. I can't understand it being held up as an example by a handful of you here. JT, AB, sure, but not Pop! If anyone is lamenting the bygone days of Pop, perhaps they can understand how many 80's fans felt while enduring the Pop era. Sometimes it looks like there are people here who only like Pop and not the rest, is that it?
Old 12-06-2004, 02:42 PM   #14
War Child

Local Time: 05:08 AM
woohoo I love talking about POP. And listening what other people have to say about it (unfortunatelly mostly bad things...).
So, im surprised that so many of you love this album as much as i do. Right now, both my vocabulary and tiredness dont let me put my fascination into words, but believe my, this is really special album for me!

I always liked U2 but after listening to this one i just soaked into their music for good.

That's a bit stange, but i dont have any favourite track on Pop. I dont single out any. And i think thats what makes the album so outstanding- its great as a whole. So dark and wierd...

Cheers for all Pop-appreciators
Old 12-06-2004, 02:43 PM   #15
The Fly

Local Time: 09:08 PM
why not pop? I really like UF and all the albums afterwards equally (maybe not zooropa). Pop has some scortchingly good songs...Staring at the Sun, Gone, Please, Wake Up Dead Man..etc..
I didn't understand all the disappointment with it when it came out nor do I now...is it because the first 2 tracks are very dancey?
It also helped to have seen the live show...so good and to hear the new stuff mixed with theold..it just gels better I guess..
Old 12-06-2004, 02:44 PM   #16
Refugee

Local Time: 10:08 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten
It's much better 2 weeks after its release than Pop ever was or ever will be. Pop was the worst album U2 ever made and I can't understand it being held up as an example by a handful of you here. JT, AB, sure, but not Pop! If anyone is lamenting the bygone days of Pop, perhaps they can understand how 80's fans felt while enduring the Pop era. Sometimes it looks like there are people here who only like Pop and not the rest, is that it?
Careful. You agreed with me when I defended ATYCLB from people slamming it, so you shouldn't slam another album now. Everybody has their personal opinions about the albums which should all be respected. I just don't like it when people start presentating their opinions as fact and start slamming people who feel otherwise. Personally, POP and ATYCLB are my least favorite albums besides for October, though I do still like them. I think the new album is far better than both and I will argue my reasons with anybody, but I do not believe that I am fundamentally right and they are necessarily wrong.
Old 12-06-2004, 02:46 PM   #17
Refugee

Wonderful post, nope I love U2 80's as well but their new stuff is getting worse. Their albums are going down hill unfortunately, although the new album has a couple of classic tracks there are too many fillers in there, even though their new fans seem to love it. Tracks such as Miracle Drug, All Because Of You, City Of Blinding Lights & Crumbs From Your Table are mediocre attempts at sounding like their back in the 80's and it has shown U2 up to being lacking in ideas and direction. Well the only direction their going in is back to the 80's and that is why Bono says this is their 1st album so that their new fans think that this is original material that sounds fresh when if your really honest it doesn't. I still love U2 and their still the best band in the world, but where is the opposition these days.
Old 12-06-2004, 02:47 PM   #18
The Fly

Local Time: 09:08 PM
Why is the internet in general so negative actually? I can't recall fanzines being so bleak as the internet usually is. It seems like every band website's message board laments the latest releases wishing for the good ol days heheh!
Old 12-06-2004, 02:47 PM   #19
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by rjhbonovox
Tracks such as Miracle Drug, All Because Of You, City Of Blinding Lights & Crumbs From Your Table are mediocre attempts at sounding like their back in the 80's and it has shown U2 up to being lacking in ideas and direction. Well the only direction their going in is back to the 80's and that is why Bono says this is their 1st album so that their new fans think that this is original material that sounds fresh when if your really honest it doesn't. I still love U2 and their still the best band in the world, but where is the opposition these days.
As a fan of 21 years, it DOES sound new, I hear nothing of the 80's in this other than Edge's basic guitar style he always has had.
Old 12-06-2004, 02:49 PM   #20
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by bsp77

Careful. You agreed with me when I defended ATYCLB from people slamming it, so you shouldn't slam another album now. Everybody has their personal opinions about the albums which should all be respected. I just don't like it when people start presentating their opinions as fact and start slamming people who feel otherwise. Personally, POP and ATYCLB are my least favorite albums besides for October, though I do still like them. I think the new album is far better than both and I will argue my reasons with anybody, but I do not believe that I am fundamentally right and they are necessarily wrong.
But it's usually ATYCLB that gets bashed by the Pop-ers. I agree NO album should be bashed, I just get so sick of Pop being held up as a great example while the new ones get dumped on. It's ridiculous.