Pop or ATYCLB

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

POP or ATYCLB

• Pop

Votes: 56 53.3%
  • All that you cant leave behind

Votes: 49 46.7%

• Total voters
I don't understand the question

More information needed, so I'll guess at possible questions:

"Best album to listen to with the lights off" - Pop
"Favourite Cover Art" - ATYCLB
"Best cuddle songs" - ATYCLB
"Best drive fast songs" - Pop (you're right Daisy)
...etc

You really need to be more clear next time. :)

That was so hard. I voted for PoP, but just because Velvet Dress is on that record.

Why are Pop and ATYCLB constantly compared to each other? They are totally different albums, and deal with totally different moods, atmospheres, feelings, themes, ideas and directions. ATYCLB does stem from Pop, like all U2 albums do from their predecessors, but it's entirely its own entity. Why must we hate one and love the other? I for one love both, but listen to each one for completely different reasons. For me, one makes things okay, while the other one asks what's wrong. I'll leave it to you guys to figure out which is which!;)

Michael Griffiths said:
Why are Pop and ATYCLB constantly compared to each other? They are totally different albums, and deal with totally different moods, atmospheres, feelings, themes, ideas and directions. ATYCLB does stem from Pop, like all U2 albums do from their predecessors, but it's entirely its own entity. Why must we hate one and love the other? I for one love both, but listen to each one for completely different reasons. For me, one makes things okay, while the other one asks what's wrong. I'll leave it to you guys to figure out which is which!;)

What I wanted to say, only put more articulately. ;)

Michael Griffiths said:

Wonderful post! My thoughts exactly :yes:

Its not a fucking grudge match but everyone is bitching about this and that. Why not have a poll. And because they are so different is why they are so many times compared. We get to see who has totally differnt tastes. and if you like then both equally dont vote. Its simple if you had to choose which would it be. Only a poll ppl relax.

Michael Griffiths said:

I agree with you about how annoying it is to have this constant comparison going. I also agree about one album stemming from the other in particular in its theme. In fact I see Pop as dealing with the torment of having to come to terms with oneself (Mofo, Staring, Gone and Please are particularly transparent to me in this sense) and ATYCLB with a more stable state of mind in which the path has been found (I find Elevation, Walk On and Grace crystal clear in this sense). Even if diametrically different musically I can see them very closely related to each other. The music in each album is absolutely cohesive with the message conveyed.

If I was asked which of the two I prefer I'd undoubtedly say Pop because I'm fonder of the 90s sonic experimentation and this album is a close number two in my U2 all time fave list to my absolute fave Achtung Baby. :)

New York London Paris Munich
Everybody talkin' 'bout mmm pop musik
Talk about
Pop musik
Talk about
Pop musik
Talk about
Pop music
Talk about
Pop musik!
Pop, pop, pop, pop, pop, pop, pop musik
Shooby dooby doo whop
Pop dop shoo whop
Shooby dooby doo whop
Pop dop shoo whop

:D

DaveC said:
New York London Paris Munich
Everybody talkin' 'bout mmm pop musik
Talk about
Pop musik
Talk about
Pop musik
Talk about
Pop music
Talk about
Pop musik!
Shooby dooby doo whop
Pop dop shoo whop
Shooby dooby doo whop
Pop dop shoo whop
:D

Dave you left out the VERY best part....

Gals you KNOW which part I'm talkin about....:drool: :sick: :silent: :shocked:

:shifty: I'd like to do more than CUDDLE to that Velvet dress song.... :silent:

U2 lost their balls somewhere between 1998 and 2000, IMHO. ATYCLB is a concept album that stresses the opinion: "We're so sorry for being such arse holes in the 90's. Sorry that we were experimenting and made music that had never been made before. Calm down, now we'll make an album - not that you can have sex to - but sleep to. Would that be an idea...? Yeaahhh, let's do that"...

U2 were mainstream in the 90's because they were cool and original.

Now they are mainstream because they are mainstream (And America's Sweethearts...) :tsk: :censored:

elevation said:
U2 lost their balls somewhere between 1998 and 2000, IMHO. ATYCLB is a concept album that stresses the opinion: "We're so sorry for being such arse holes in the 90's. Sorry that we were experimenting and made music that had never been made before. Calm down, now we'll make an album - not that you can have sex to - but sleep to. Would that be an idea...? Yeaahhh, let's do that"...

U2 were mainstream in the 90's because they were cool and original.

Now they are mainstream because they are mainstream (And America's Sweethearts...) :tsk: :censored:

I wish I could disagree with you vehemently. But there is much unfortunate truth in what you're saying. Though me personally am not quite as harsh in my views.

Back
Top Bottom