OFFICIAL - U2.Com - New Album Out In 2009 Pt. 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i really do think we're looking at February/March. i read Bono's article as extending the finishing touches.

in my opinion, the band held off on releasing it in November because they had a couple of last minute ideas that probably sprung into something bigger and better that they just couldn't fathom the thought of not including it on the new album.

i think many people are over-reacting. U2 didn't scrap the album. they just saw an opportunity to enhance and better what they already think has the potential to be something really special. it's obvious that they're putting all their cards into this one.

i agree on all points, there is a ton of overreaction for sure. :up:

The band always said in interviews, that the hardest times are when they have to let go of an album. Now there are four bandmembers and two producers co-writing. If this album really is 'a departure', they all have to feel good about it or else it's gonna be very hard for them, in case the album is not received well.

The bad critique Pop got, would have been easyer to take, had they all felt the album was a great one.

This is why I think, they are doing the right thing now. I know they already spent a long time working on this album. But the last stages are stressful and it's important to keep cool, take their time and not panic.

I sense something was wrong, but now they have agreed to spend more time with it, and all is good. Bono promised to make a statement, so Edge would not be 'attacked' with questions at the film premiere..

... just imagine if six people from this board had to agree on 12 songs and tracklisting/order? Would this be possible at all? :reject:

:wink:

I don't think people are primarily upset because they have to wait 2, 3, 5, whatever more months to hear the next U2 album. It wouldn't amount to anything to wait longer after already waiting 4 years. I think people, such as myself, are upset because recent memory tells us that THIS WILL DO NOTHING BUT NEGATIVELY AFFECT THE MUSIC!

I don't think people are primarily upset because they have to wait 2, 3, 5, whatever more months to hear the next U2 album. It wouldn't amount to anything to wait longer after already waiting 4 years. I think people, such as myself, are upset because recent memory tells us that THIS WILL DO NOTHING BUT NEGATIVELY AFFECT THE MUSIC!

That's precisely where I stand. I developed the opinion, after HTDAAB, that it is actually possible for artists to work so hard at perfection that they lose the forest for the trees. A lot of what I like about U2's catalogue are those little "imperfections" that appear in some of their lyrics and music. They somehow make the music feel spontaneous everytime I listen. The only part of HTDAAB that feels that way to me is the very end of Miracle Drug; there's something perfectly imperfect (and spontaneous) about that part that brings chills up my spine. But that's about it for that album.

Tell me about it COBL. Fans discussing the delay of the album on a u2 board. How strange.

By Jonathan Cohen Reuters - 1 hour 54 minutes ago

NEW YORK (Billboard) - Initially expected this fall as a fourth-quarter blockbuster, U2's next album has been pushed to early 2009 while the band continues to write and record material.
(Advertisement)

"I thought a while back we might have the album wrapped by now, but why come up above ground now if there's more priceless stuff to be found?," frontman Bono writes on U2.com (U2.com | U2.com).

Of late, the group has been recording in the south of France, having already logged time in Fez and Dublin with longtime collaborators Brian Eno, Daniel Lanois and Steve Lillywhite.

'We know we have to emerge soon but we also know that people don't want another U2 album unless it is our best ever album," Bono says. "It has to be our most innovative, our most challenging ... or what's the point ?"

Bono says the band now was "50 or 60" new songs to consider for inclusion on the follow-up to 2004's Grammy-winning album of the year "How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb."

"The last two records were very personal, with a kind of three piece at their heart, the primary colours of rock -- bass, guitars and drum," he says. "But what we're about now is of the same order as the transition that took us from 'The Joshua Tree' to 'Achtung Baby.'"

Among the songs in the mix are "Get on Your Boots," "For Your Love," "Breathe," "No Line on the Horizon" and the eight-minute "Moment of Surrender."

Reuters/Billboard

in my opinion, the band held off on releasing it in November because they had a couple of last minute ideas that probably sprung into something bigger and better that they just couldn't fathom the thought of not including it on the new album.

i think many people are over-reacting. U2 didn't scrap the album. they just saw an opportunity to enhance and better what they already think has the potential to be something really special. it's obvious that they're putting all their cards into this one.

I agree with you, they probably came up with some potentially special songs right at the end of the sessions and are now trying to decide what to do with them.

edit: Something I've seen quite a lot of people say on these topics is that it's taking so long for U2 to come up with a mere 11-track album. However, what if the new release has a lot more songs than that? Then there is the mention of at least one 8-minute epic in some news reports, that could be another reason for delay, if the band are working on these kind of complicated drawn-out sort of tunes, as opposed to the relatively simple kind of things that were on the last two albums.

This is nothing. I'm gonna start a petition. And then I might sue for pain and suffering. After that, I'll start a self-help group.

:lmao: :up:

Tell me about it COBL. Fans discussing the delay of the album on a u2 board. How strange.

I just think 1200 posts over the album being pushed back in this amount of time is pretty excessive. It means there's people who've been in this forum, this thread, for hours on end. Not much we can do, get some fresh air is all I reckon.

First single will be released in early March 2009, album following on April 1, and a US stadium tour starting starting May/June. Europe starting July/August. US/Canada arena tour in October/November. A random New Years Eve show. South America in February 2010. Australia and Pacific in March. Final Europe/East Europe leg in May/June/July 2010.

Just a guess...but seems plausible to me.

By Jonathan Cohen Reuters - 1 hour 54 minutes ago

NEW YORK (Billboard) - Initially expected this fall as a fourth-quarter blockbuster, U2's next album has been pushed to early 2009 while the band continues to write and record material.
(Advertisement)

"I thought a while back we might have the album wrapped by now, but why come up above ground now if there's more priceless stuff to be found?," frontman Bono writes on U2.com (U2.com | U2.com).

Of late, the group has been recording in the south of France, having already logged time in Fez and Dublin with longtime collaborators Brian Eno, Daniel Lanois and Steve Lillywhite.

'We know we have to emerge soon but we also know that people don't want another U2 album unless it is our best ever album," Bono says. "It has to be our most innovative, our most challenging ... or what's the point ?"

Bono says the band now was "50 or 60" new songs to consider for inclusion on the follow-up to 2004's Grammy-winning album of the year "How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb."

"The last two records were very personal, with a kind of three piece at their heart, the primary colours of rock -- bass, guitars and drum," he says. "But what we're about now is of the same order as the transition that took us from 'The Joshua Tree' to 'Achtung Baby.'"

Among the songs in the mix are "Get on Your Boots," "For Your Love," "Breathe," "No Line on the Horizon" and the eight-minute "Moment of Surrender."

Reuters/Billboard

Where's the source on it being pushed to early 2009? It seems like a guess not actual fact. If any it seems like the person who wrote the article just gathered news from other sources without adding anything new. :down:

Where's the source on it being pushed to early 2009? It seems like a guess not actual fact.

If you'd bothered to actually read, you'd note the author cited U2.com as their source for the album in 2009, and here's the article in question (which is in the original post of this thread too!): U2.com | Official News

As Bono says at that link, "... this one [i.e. the album] is nearly ready for the new year of 2009."

If you'd bothered to actually read, you'd note the author cited U2.com as their source for the album in 2009, and here's the article in question (which is in the original post of this thread too!): U2.com | Official News

As Bono says at that link, "... this one [i.e. the album] is nearly ready for the new year of 2009."

Don't be an ass, Ax.

Bono may say it is nearly ready but that doesn't mean they'll release it when it is finished. Until there is an actual release date hinted at by the band, you can't state "early 2009" as a fact.

Don't be an ass, Ax.

Bono may say it is nearly ready but that doesn't mean they'll release it when it is finished. Until there is an actual release date hinted at by the band, you can't state "early 2009" as a fact.

He wasn't stating it as a fact. He was pointing out where the hinting came from--from Bono. So, therefore, the article on U2.com is the source.

He wasn't stating it as a fact. He was pointing out where the hinting came from--from Bono. So, therefore, the article on U2.com is the source.

He actually is stating it as a fact as he doesn't attribute this information to anyone in the first paragraph. Nowhere has Bono specifically said the album with be released in early 2009. It is all speculation.

He actually is stating it as a fact as he doesn't attribute this information to anyone in the first paragraph. Nowhere has Bono specifically said the album with be released in early 2009. It is all speculation.

Early 2009 is not a release date, Screw. The only fact is that the album was pushed back.

THIS...is what I was getting at:

u2wn5.jpg

So you're right it some way about it being speculation, there is no official date yet, but it will be 2009.

Which is my point. The writer made an assumption and we didn't get any new information.

It seems pretty obvious that Bono is saying early 2009 since they want to put a year into all of this, read into that what you will, it's what all of us are doing, no need for you to be an ass about it

Which is my point. The writer made an assumption and we didn't get any new information.

You're expecting new information from Billboard? :lol:

Not everyone visits U2.com. People that don't may still be curious about how the album is coming along, so sites like Billboard report on it using information from U2.com. Journalism is very repetitive in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom