OFFICIAL - U2.Com - New Album Out In 2009 Pt. 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
"Provisionally" cracks me up.

The album will come out at some point in 2009, provided the Kaiser Chiefs wait a little while to release their third single.

U2 will have to move into line Re release of the new album. They will have to wait for other big acts who have booked time slots to release next year. Typically record companys don't want to cut their throats and reduce the consumer dollar by releasing two albums at once. May not be for some while yet, maybe June next year.

U2girl, I decided to not beat that madchester horse again! :wink:

And doctorwho, you dislike the Joshua Tree. So I doubt we'll ever agree. Maybe we should agree to disagree.

Trying to avoid another Pop related fight here. :crack:

I will never agree to disagree, as I find it's a cliche. :)

And I don't dislike JT. I just don't think it's the savior of music that most fans do. However, it does have some great stuff on it - too bad most of it sounds the same.

As for U2girl's comment - ATYCLB had one saving grace - it didn't sound like anything released at the time. This is my true point. "Pop" blended in with the Prodigy and Chemical Bros. albums at the time. "War" came out when Culture Club and Wham were popular. JT came out when Bon Jovi, Michael Jackson and Debbie Gibson were popular. AB and "Zooropa" came out in an era of grunge. ATYCLB came out when teeny bop artists ruled the charts. HTDAAB was released when R&B/rap songs dominated. But "Pop" was one of the few times U2 blended in instead of standing apart. And argue all you want, to me, that's a weakness.

But really, it comes down to taste. I liked "Pop" a lot in 1997. Over time, though, it's faded - and surprisingly faded fast. In '97 I wouldn't have dreamed this album would fade so quickly - but I now place it last among the U2 albums I'd grab. And clearly that's personal taste. You may dislike other albums. Yippers! :) And the beat goes on.

“This is our chance for us to defy gravity once again,” he enthuses. “We have what it takes, we have the songs, new rhythms and a guitar player who is not ready to re-enter earth's atmosphere until he's taken a slice of the moon!"

No one talks shite like Bono!

Saw Edge tonight at the Toronto Film Festival - he didn't stick around for long (although I got a few shots) but his bodyguard, Murph, did say "We'll be coming back to Toronto next year", which I took to mean the tour so yeah, that'd rule out the album being released only next fall. :up:

Just wanted to inform everyone that the Green Tea riff we've heard is in fact called 'Get On Your Boots'. I know Q confirmed this, but we just got back from the 'It Might Get Loud' screening and there was studio footage of him alone, playing that riff over and over. Nothing to get excited about, its the same thing we've heard before, no new bits (except for like a chord or two).

Also, he's playing it on the SG (same as Elevation)...

Otherwise, no new album news, and no audience Q&A (just host questions about the movie):applaud:. GREAT movie, however!!!

Otherwise, no new album news, and no audience Q&A (just host questions about the movie):applaud:. GREAT movie, however!!!

That reminds me - when Edge walked by I yelled "Why is the album delayed?" but it was eclipsed by some *#$#$$ yelling "Say hi to Bono for me!" at the top of his lungs so didn't manage to get any news from the source...

Haha, yeah , i heard that too.. unfortunately, I had no idea he was coming out the back doors (i figured he was already gone), but on my way home, i saw that huge group of people... i was at the back though, so i couldn't see much of anything haha :doh: There was a few people I recognized from Vertigo 05, but I was out of there too quick to chat!

Sounds like the album is done, but for business reasons, they're putting it off until Feb. Maybe they'll get some sort of tax break?

I know Bono said they're going after songs, but that's just something to tell the fans. It sounds better than "we're going to release it next year to get a tax break" or "we don't want to compete with the other big albums this christmas".

New U2 album provisionally slated for February 2009
05 Sep 2008

Following on from Bono's comments that 2009 will be their year, it's
confirmed: there will definitely be no new U2 album this year.

A band insider confirmed to Hot Press that February 2009 is now the
likely launch date for the band's long-awaited follow-up to How To
Dismantle An Atomic Bomb. That new target was set, Hot Press
understands, at meetings that have taken place over the past 36 hours
in Nice, where the band have been based for the latter part of the
summer.

"There's still some details to be decided before the date is confirmed
one hundred percent, but that's the plan," the source confirmed.

Bono has already spoken about how U2 intend to make 2009 their year.

"This is our chance for us to defy gravity once again," he enthuses.
"We have what it takes, we have the songs, new rhythms and a guitar
player who is not ready to re-enter earth's atmosphere until he's
taken a slice of the moon!"

I'm happy with this change of date. At least it's something totally unexpected. What was the last album they released that wasn't in time for the xmas cash-in? Pop? I'm not sure, but it's still a refreshing change and will give me something to look forward to in the traditional "New Year blues" time.

This is a business decision, not a creative one. The reason the album is being delayed is because the re-issued CDs have not been selling well and Universal want the Holiday crowd to buy them up and deplete their stock of unsold copies. If U2 released a new CD at Christmas, those re-issued copies of Boy, October, and War would sit on shelves while everyone bought the new album.

I think it's hilarious reading this thread.

Bono: "Things are going so well that we're going to keep writing songs because things are going so good."

Fans: "OH MY GOD! WHAT'S WRONG?!"

Bono just told you, you dummies. Nothing. They're writing more songs because, well, why not? If you're on a roll, you're on a roll. Stay on it. A creative streak is something to take advantage of, because trust me, the well dries up. And then you need a tour and a break to recharge your creative juices.

The songs written between now and the release date could be some of the best songs this band has written.

And by the way, I loved HTDAAB, so go ahead and disregard m opinion. How can the Grammy for Best Album of the Year be so universally loathed on this message board? Nonsensical.

I also think that people forget that U2 are, at the end of the day, creative people. They're not oil tycoons. The creative element is still stronger than the business element in their lives, and anyone who doesn't believe that is just too cynical to be a fan.

February 2009? Well, ok. I could get worked up with Righteous Anger over a mid 2009 release...but it's ~ 3 months later then the November date thrown around. God knows I've waited 4 years already, another few months won't kill me.

February sounds good. Goes with Bono's "we will have something very early next year" and the rumblings of them working on tour.

Wouldn't it be great if they went on tour and showcased different versions of songs for the new album before it came out.

Feb or March or April or May

2009, 2010, 2011 ,2012....

Who Knows?

"I don't believe in wishful thinking. You know, 'Imagine,' that John Lennon song, it's my least favorite of his songs. And he's the man for me, but it's like I don't believe that imagining is enough."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom