"New Year's Day" Live

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
A lot of times, it is the small things within live performances that create those special spine-tingling, adrenaline-pumping moments. There is something that U2 sometimes do with New Year's Day live that falls into that category. On the Elevation Slane recording and even more so the Popmart Mexico City recording, when Bono sings 'though torn in two we can be one', he stretches out the word 'one' for a looong time right up until Edge starts singing the backup vocal 'oh-oh' for the chorus, and they mesh together, and it sounds like the same note going on and on through the end of Bono's vocal and Edge's backing vocal. It's fucking brilliant. Especially the Popmart version.

Last edited:
namkcuR said:
A lot of times, it is the small things within love performances that create those special spine-tingling, adrenaline-pumping moments. There is something that U2 sometimes do with New Year's Day live that falls into that category. On the Elevation Slane recording and even more so the Popmart Mexico City recording, when Bono sings 'though torn in two we can be one', he stretches out the word 'one' for a looong time right up until Edge starts singing the backup vocal 'oh-oh' for the chorus, and they mesh together, and it sounds like the same note going on and on through the end of Bono's vocal and Edge's backing vocal. It's fucking brilliant. Especially the Popmart version.

Yes!!! I know exactly what you're talking about! :drool: Also I love it when he stretches out the "break" in "we can breaaaaaaaakthrough"!

YES YES YES!!!!! I love that!!!!! asd;fljasdfakstasdfsadjdfjasdfas!!!!!!!!

:drool:

Oh, um. Yes. Um, excuse me. I got a little carried away.

It's a lovely moment in many a live version.

I love NYD and if they keep it as an "occasional circulator, but not every show," I don't think it'll ever need to be shelved.

I always loved that. Bono's got a bunch of those vocal things that carry the verses into the choruses.

Yes NYD live is INCREDIBLE!!!

:drool: The passion is all over that song, I just love it when it sounds like Bono is almost crying and like he is singing it from this place deep in his guts! Probably because he is!
Edge too, his backing vocal is tremendous! Love love love it!:drool:

Jeannieco said:
Yes NYD live is INCREDIBLE!!!

:drool: The passion is all over that song, I just love it when it sounds like Bono is almost crying and like he is singing it from this place deep in his guts!

Lets be honest about it, his gut has plenty of space for it!!

Back
Top Bottom