New U2 on the Radio in San Diego

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eliv8

Refugee
Just listend to '51st State of The USA', or at least that was the chorus, on Star 100.7 in San Diego. Its sounds like a dance track -coming in at about 126 - 128 BPM. Didnt hear much of Edge on it. The closest comparison would be Discotheque.

They were hyping it at at 10 to 5 - Talking about the leak - Then he (the host) said they would be playing a track at 10 after. Which they did - I called in to find out where he got it from and was told 'a source'. I think they said it had 7 tracks. I asked if it was downloaded and was told 'maybe'.

Last edited:
:hmm: Is this station a Clear Channel station? Becuase they'll most likely be promoting the tour, so if they have a "leaked" song, that would help build buzz, even if the song turns out to be bogus. Is 51st State of the USA anything close to a title we've heard kicked around before?

Originally posted by martha
Is 51st State of the USA anything close to a title we've heard kicked around before?

I haven't heard anything about a song being called that. The only thing that line reminds me of is a song by the The called "Heartland" (good song, by the way). But who knows, perhaps that is a title for a new U2 song.

Anywho, this is interesting news. :hmm:...

Angela

I don't see anything on that station's website about it.

there's nothing on kazzaa floating around.

:|

google searches dont turn up anything, except for, of course, references to various places being a 51st state and the the song.

I read that there are some fake mp3s going around and one of them sounds like a dance track.. But if the song you heard on the radio had Bono singing then maybe it's real? or something. Who knows.

Heh, I remember getting a promo tape from that exact station well over ten years ago when my family lived in San Diego....I have a feeling that the track might not be from U2......I mean, dance? That's kind of strange that we wouldn't hear about a dance track earlier when people were at the studios....then again, the member here said it was U2, so it must've had Bono's voice....

It's a fake people.....

it's New Model Army - "51st State"

To their impassioned cult of fans, New Model Army was one of the best post-punk outfits Great Britain ever produced. Combining the gut-level force of punk with the anthemic political fervor of U2 and the Alarm, as well as the urban protest folk of Billy Bragg, NMA sounded like few other bands mining similar post-punk territory.
The single "51st State," a critique of Britain's relationship with the United States, was a hit in Europe, and a dance remix of "Poison Street" was successful in the U.K.; additionally, album opener "The Hunt" was later covered by Brazilian metal band Sepultura.

you can go to VH1's site and look under New Model Army's bio.

hey, sorry it's bad news. i wish it was real too.

I heard this trax on Kazaa, and it's crap! How could anyone in their right minds think this is U2??????
It wasn't New World Army either. It was
some weird pop techno dance song.

Last edited:
We're looking into it right now - but so far, we've haven't heard anything that indicates the track is for real - yet. We'll keep you posted.

and we have the "1000th Thread that gets you all exited for the New Album...and turns out to be nothing award........and the nomenies are........."

2 to 1 this is fake... buuuut... for that .1% chance that it is real... perhaps the alleged lost cd had some jacknife lee remixes on it, and that's why the band is so concearned about it getting out, 'cause they don't want people thinkin' they got another "dance" album like with pop. unlikely, but i'm just tossin' it out there.

I live in San Diego and can tell you that the combined intelligence of all the employees and DJ's at this station is not quite equal to that of a box of rocks. It wouldn't suprise me in the least if they were fooled by some Kazaa fake.

And in any case this station has never been on the cutting-edge of anything -- it is highly unlikely that they would be leaking new music from U2 or any other artist. They are a Top 40, teeny-bopper station that no self-respecting U2 fan should listen to at any time.

Update (24 hours later)- The radio station just played it again - at about 4:40. Not the full thing this time just a in the background while they talked about it. He mentioned the e mail I sent him asking if it was a hoax and both hosts did say it sounds like him.(Bono) Which it does. His vocals have a slight 'flange' (if thats the right word) kind of electronic, Cher a single or two ago. It does have a trancy feel - as the hosts also mentioned.
Star is not a Clear Channel - Owned localy
I do not think it is 51st State. I coudnt find the remix version but I am sure its a different song - different words too.
I requested a link or a file in the e mail I sent. No reply as yet.

Back
Top Bottom