New album discussion: After despair comes acceptance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And interscope may look at the continued delays and now apparent rift with Danger Mouse and think that there isn't a chance in hell they'll be done.

This may be true, and if it is, it's pretty irresponsible of the Interscope source. As logical as it may appear, it's still dusting off the old jump to conclusions mat. Which is all well and good for us, but for a publication like Billboard -- pawning it off as solid fact -- not so much.

O.K., I have to come clean.

The real reason for the delay is...

Me.

There, I said it.

See, after 8+ years at my company, my position ends on the 31st of this month. Don't worry, I have another job waiting. But obviously, I cannot go to see U2 multiple times this year after just starting a new job. I have to wait a bit, get vacation saved up and then splurge.

That means next year.

U2 fully understood and postponed their tour to accommodate my schedule.

We realize this inconveniences many, but focus please, this is about me seeing them.

Back to bickering! Yay!

Me.

There, I said it.

See, after 8+ years at my company, my position ends on the 31st of this month. Don't worry, I have another job waiting. But obviously, I cannot go to see U2 multiple times this year after just starting a new job. I have to wait a bit, get vacation saved up and then splurge.

That means next year.

We realize this inconveniences many, but focus please, this is about me seeing them.

Back to bickering! Yay!

christopher-walken-cowbell-soundboard-i151_zps1d87a88f.jpg

Look at the mess you've created...

I'd blame whoever at interscope leaked the information rather than billboard for posting it.

I wouldn't think billboard is going to run with that story because some intern told them on his or hers way from picking up the office donuts.

The source(s) had to be reliable enough to convince them to run with it.

So either

a ) there's a disconnect between interscope and U2's camp as to what's actually expected

b ) U2's camp released this in order to calm fan reaction (note they said they still "plan on having an album in 2014," not that they "will" have an album in 2014.". Very important difference in wording)

c ) billboard's a bunch of lying ass liars

The Danger Mouse quotes still hang out there like there like a rather stinky fart.

Their producer doesn't know what the hell is going on. Why do we expect anyone else to?

What concerns me is that the Interscope source story had actual particulars. The band spokesperson did not. One said the tour was to start in September and now is summer 2015. That sounds like someone with knowledge of booking info. The other just said it's "on track for sometime this year."

This is pointing towards the "both right" theory where the band may still get it out this year, but either way, the tour is backed up to summer 2015 to be safe and they know if the album falls back to early 2015 it's okay.

Eesh. I hate the thought of that, but it's logical.

They could both be right, ya know...

The band may very well still think they're going to get this thing out in 2014.

And interscope may look at the continued delays and now apparent rift with Danger Mouse and think that there isn't a chance in hell they'll be done.

Heck... Interscope may have even leaked that story out to try and light a fire under their asses. They can't be overly thrilled by all of these continued push backs.
This is exactly what I think. Like people said, U2 never would have gone, "There's no way this gets out in the next nine months" if they still think they're this close (assuming they haven't abandoned the DM material). But people at the label checking in are probably getting updates and going, "Fuck this mess, they're so screwed."

This is pointing towards the "both right" theory where the band may still get it out this year, but either way, the tour is backed up to summer 2015 to be safe and they know if the album falls back to early 2015 it's okay.

i think this is it exactly.

it makes much more sense to release and promote an album at the end of 2014. have your Christmas holidays. start the new year being able to totally focus on the tour.

and you have breathing room to push the album should things go wrong.

my guess is two things have happened:

1. they like the DM stuff, but it feels not as U2-y as they'd like, so they are tweaking -- this can be good or bad, depending on your own taste
2. they really do want to have a 2nd album basically ready to go, so work on it now rather than while you're on tour (that didn't work in 2009)

DM seemed totally fed up with U2..... he doesn't give a damn anymore.
If this album comes out, it will for sure be the last one, U2 won't find any more producers who will want to work with them. :no:

I'd blame whoever at interscope leaked the information rather than billboard for posting it.

I wouldn't think billboard is going to run with that story because some intern told them on his or hers way from picking up the office donuts.

The source(s) had to be reliable enough to convince them to run with it.

So either

a ) there's a disconnect between interscope and U2's camp as to what's actually expected

b ) U2's camp released this in order to calm fan reaction (note they said they still "plan on having an album in 2014," not that they "will" have an album in 2014.". Very important difference in wording)

^ This.

Are some of you married to Billboard or something?
First state that the Billboard story must be true, because the band hasn't issued a statement denying it. Then when this statement does arrive Billboard is somehow still right?
Even if the album does arrive in 2015, Billboard still published a hunch instead of a fact. No matter how you want to spin it.

First state that the Billboard story must be true, because the band hasn't issued a statement denying it. Then when this statement does arrive Billboard is somehow still right?
Even if the album does arrive in 2015, Billboard still published a hunch instead of a fact. No matter how you want to spin it.

I'm not married to Billboard, although we did date for a while back in the 80s.

FWIW, when it comes to an actual album release neither Billboard nor The Guardian/U2 have posted any "facts." They have published vague generalities about U2 working on an album for release sometime in 2014 or 2015.

But seriously, before last Friday I thought the general consensus, both on Interference and elsewhere, was that an album and tour announcement were imminent, as in, an official announcement in March. Now, the best we can muster is a quote from a U2 spokesman saying "We're still shooting for 2014." How can you say the article by my ex-girlfriend--er, I mean Billboard--has no merit?

Go with dignity! :lol: No more shirtless Adam on stage! (CK :reject:)

tumblr_mg2u9p8oyV1ra6sldo2_500.gif

a spokesperson for the band has dispelled claims that the album will be delayed until 2015: “U2’s album is planned for this year, is still on track and touring plans haven’t been confirmed yet,” they told the Guardian.

There, much better. No need to panic. Not that I ever did. *smug grin*
tumblr_lhs69nh2r71qf18pdo1_400.gif

Also, I love the LA times article as well.

U2 still on track to issue album this year - latimes.com

Bono's quoted as aiming for prog rock. Cue the :panic: button anyone?
There's awful progressive rock lurking around, but I have enough of a memory of 1977 to not surrender to it. There were incredibly pure thoughts in music then. You knew what the song was about. You knew the melody. You knew the hook. We're going for a bit of that on the new album.

I'm all for an experimental U2 album. Prog rock included. With the right....producer(s), of course. :wink:

I don't care about Billboard. What I want to debate is WHY these reps leaked the info and if the band is happy about it; the band must be aware someway...or not? Unless it was mainly tour talk and Billboard assumed 2015 also for the release.

To me it won't change anything anyway: I just want the f'n record in my hands. :)

Me.

There, I said it.

That means next year.

Back to bickering! Yay!

You change jobs too damn much :wave:

I don't care about Billboard. What I want to debate is WHY these reps leaked the info and if the band is happy about it; the band must be aware someway...or not? Unless it was mainly tour talk and Billboard assumed 2015 also for the release.

To me it won't change anything anyway: I just want the f'n record in my hands. :)

Why must it be a debate?

Shake it, shake it, shake it

And by the way the tour talk was via Live Nation, not Interscope (hence the source being more than one); now that was a delay, since the tour had to start Sept. 2014 - this was official till a change of plans.

And by the way the tour talk was via Live Nation, not Interscope (hence the source being more than one); now that was a delay, since the tour had to start Sept. 2014 - this was official till a change of plans.

Don't confuse us with facts.

Publishing a report based on information from a source at U2's label isn't a "hunch". It's reporting.

Now, the source may have been wrong, and/or the "facts" may change but that doesn't mean it's all just a "hunch". They're passing along what they were told. And we don't know whether the story is wrong or not yet, and won't for a while.

Don't confuse us with facts.

Morgan, doesn't Billboard mention Live Nation having a tour ready to start in September? I have to re-read the article.

Mrs. Garrison, maybe if you come up with a story, something will appear. :)

Anyone remember that interview with Bono around September/October 2013 in which he said he "did not know" if U2 would or would not release a new album in 2014? Considering that, I guess we shouldn't be surprised with the latest news.

But seriously, before last Friday I thought the general consensus, both on Interference and elsewhere, was that an album and tour announcement were imminent, as in, an official announcement in March. Now, the best we can muster is a quote from a U2 spokesman saying "We're still shooting for 2014." How can you say the article by my ex-girlfriend--er, I mean Billboard--has no merit?

Yeah, no kidding. And before that it was "The record will be a surprise release any day now!" and before that "It will be announced on Fallon" and before that "It will be announced at the Super Bowl" and before that "It's coming out this "Spring" and before that "They have definitely finished recording"!

Now the meme has been reduced to "Nah, nah, Billboard's wrong, see! The U2 "spokesman" says it's being released by midnight, Dec 31 2014 (Dublin Time)!"

Seriously, how pathetic is all that? Nothing U2 or their people have said regarding this record (or people claim they said, or think they said) has come to pass, and now everyone is convinced that THIS statement from an anonymous "spokesperson" is the final word? And again, if anything, all it does is confirm the most important element of the Billboard story...that the record is seriously delayed, and won't be coming out anytime soon. Why people think these stories are in absolute contradiction, or take some kind of comfort from the Guardian piece is baffling...where's the good news in that?

"But it's not a delay if there was never a release date!" someone is bound to say.

That's not really true, but it makes people feel better.

Anonymous source who doesn't fit your argument = untrustworthy rubbish, bono told my second cousin last week that the album was almost done

Anonymous source who does fit your side of the story = totally true, I told you so, neener neener neener. I can't believe you guys fell for that billboard story. Gullible assholes.

This :up:

Back
Top Bottom