My appreciation for HTDAAB has shot up immensely!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Fan101

Refugee
Tonight, I put my headphones into my computer to listen to music since it's past midnight and my roommate is sleeping.

I was initially going to make a fake setlist for the third leg geared towards New Orleans in iTunes, and I clicked on Vertigo. Now I haven't listened to this song in months actually. The song started, and for the first time I was hearing things I've never heard before through speakers of a car, radio or a computer.

This is possibly been brought up before, but I could actually hear the 'siren' at the start of Vertigo everyone was talking about, and I could even hear other sounds going on.

For instance -
At 0:20 into Vertigo, I hear what sounds like an exact forshadow of Bono singing "Lights..." from the opening verse. I also noticed that the vocal booster was set in the equalizer. I started thinking, "Hmmm, Vertigo is filled with treasures just like songs from Pop are." Which, as I've stated many times before is my absolute favorite album. HTDAAB was for a long time in the like 4th or 5th.

Miracle Drug - I could hear the strings much more. And as a classical musician, I am a sucker for strings. Because of the headphones, I've also been able to really hear the bass a lot more, and appreciate Adam's playing (not just in HTDAAB) but in other songs I've listened to.

I won't go through each and every song, but the headphones have raised my appreciation for HTDAAB so much because I've heard all of the songs in a different light.

:drool: Adam's bass in Love and Peace or Else....Oh. My. God. I knew it existed, but I didn't know it existed at this level!

U2Fan101 said:

:drool: Adam's bass in Love and Peace or Else....Oh. My. God. I knew it existed, but I didn't know it existed at this level!

No kidding, especially after hearing Love and Peace or Else live!

Hmm, maybe this explains why I haven't gone a full 2 weeks without hearing at least part of "Atomic bomb." If I don't hear U2 songs via the radio, I'm listening to them on my personal CD player with headphones.

Re: Re: My appreciation for HTDAAB has shot up immensely!

thrillme said:

No kidding, especially after hearing Love and Peace or Else live!

Here in Lisbon, in the beginning of the song, Adam made a kind of earthquake in the whole stadium when he played the bass notes. It was pretty cool and he done it walking around the b-stage, close to me :bow:

I always listen to every new CD I get on headphones first (unless I'm hearing it in my car on the way home from the store). I don't know why anyone wouldn't want the first playback to be through headphones if it's possible. You can't fully judge or appreciate a new CD until you've heard every little nuance, IMO.

Last edited:
QUOTE "My appreciation for HTDAAB has shot up immensely!"

Good for you!

Now go and get them ears syringed!:wink:

rjhbonovox said:
QUOTE "My appreciation for HTDAAB has shot up immensely!"

Good for you!

Now go and get them ears syringed!:wink:

ears... :lmao: ....syringed :lmao:

Your comedic talent is wasted on this site.

Chizip said:
this should have been put in the EYKIW forum :tsk:

Yea Chizip, I saw that post about the change after I had posted this. I'm always in Tour Discussions and I never come in here. Hopefully I still get my Dirty Day band;)

HTDAAB is a great album to listen while driving

Anybody who says the second half of the album sucks should be shot.

Just kidding.

:wink:

Crumbs, OTS, OOTS, Yahweh, Fast Cars

:drool:

Wow, couldn't agree more, and for the same reason. I have a roomate, too, and was forever cranking my music at inappropriate hours. I knew had to switch to headphones, and it's enhanced my appreciation for music tenfold -- especially U2.

I love HTDAAB on my "ear buds". It's really a rich album. Of course, I may be deaf by the time I hit 40.

Chizip...I just read your signature...and it seems you like the ghetto. That 'then fuck you too' is a line from a 2pac song. Do you like 2pac? Cuz I do :D

Glad to see HTDAAB has won over another fan!

I've been trying to figure out exactly what I don't like about HTDAAB. I think it's a mix of alot of things (not sure if I should express this in a HTDAAB appreciation thread but here goes..)

Firstly old man Bono's voice really hits a raw nerve, it's a shame really I used to adore his voice but through out this album I find it really unpleasent.
Secondly lyrically HTDAAB is so incredibly under par with every single other album. I used to just love reading the cover booklet of albums like achtung baby or joshua tree and just dream of being able to write like Bono. Lyrically HTDAAB just does not cut it.
Thirdly, I think I just find most songs rather dull and uninspiring- miracle drug, OOTS, One step closer and man and a woman all just do absolutely nothing for me. Great background music I suppose but imo all are just rather insipid.

I understand all music is subjective, so this is just my personal opinion. Don't get me wrong, i do think bomb does have it's moments (city of blinding lights, SYCMIOYO, Yahweh) but really not enough to make it a great album imo.

Thanks for letting me get that off my chest :wink:

Back
Top Bottom