More New Music Rumors and Such...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
to be fair, it's presumably a stripped down version of the song. are we supposed to hear something else right now?

True, but I'm just saying that after all this anticipation, Edge's work was very by-the-numbers and disappointing. He has effects pedals for every other crazy sound on various old songs, and since there is already a recorded version of this track, why not reproduce more of that atmosphere?

Not a bad track, just boring to me and the only weight is carried by the vocal melody and Bono's performance.

Not a bad track, just boring to me and the only weight is carried by the vocal melody and Bono's performance.

yeah really most u2 songs benefit from the atmosphere of all of the musicians. I think the only song that benfited from going acoustic was SATS.

I think what the haters have to remember is that this is more than likely a very stripped down sketch of EBW. You can tell it wasnt perfect when they were playing, off beat a little bit, and Bono almost missed where he was so supposed to begin and they didnt end properly so there must be other things that go on in the recorded version. Still, I think it blows the other "new" songs out of the water.

True, but I'm just saying that after all this anticipation, Edge's work was very by-the-numbers and disappointing. He has effects pedals for every other crazy sound on various old songs, and since there is already a recorded version of this track, why not reproduce more of that atmosphere?

well, i don't disagree that they should try to play north star and every breaking wave with the full band and like it's supposed to sound. given how much work they put into their live production though to keep things as perfect and tidy as they do, i'm not surprised that they aren't doing it with all the bells and whistles and supposed electronic influence.

i do think this song is very good. love the melody, and i do like the lyrics overall. i think there's a good/great chance that it'll be excellent, but I can't make full judgment until i hear the full version of the song. we'll see.

Am I the only one here who still thinks Soon is the best and most promising new track from this year?

Does it really matter? You're entitled to your opinion and is as valid as someone elses. I don't agree with your assessment by a LONG SHOT but that's just my opinion. If SOON went into a full song I might give it more credit but for now it's just a nice opener for a concert or an album. I love Passengers and EBW fits my expectations of an atmospheric direction. Bono also repeatedly uses religious themes in many songs and I don't complain that it's repetitive because it's better than someone singing about busting a cap in someone's ass or some other junk that we hear on the radio nowadays.

I don't complain that it's repetitive because it's better than someone singing about busting a cap in someone's ass or some other junk that we hear on the radio nowadays.

bottle-caps-concession-candy.jpg

Or yeah music like this:

justin-bieber-justin-bieber-2070753-331-396.jpg

June 21, 2009

"While a spring release date had been mentioned, Bono seems to damping down that expectation now, saying that while they have nine pieces of music that they think are really special, the album will only come out if and when it is as good or better than No Line. And it certainly won't come out, as was reported in some media, this year. Bono is unashamedly clear that he wants No Line on the Horizon to be the U2 product that gets bought this Christmas."

They think the songs are special but not as good as No line so that's probably why there's a hesitation to release it in a climate where albums sell less.

yeah really most u2 songs benefit from the atmosphere of all of the musicians. I think the only song that benfited from going acoustic was SATS.

I'm inclined to agree with all that. Although the middle-eight part is better on the album (the only interesting part of the song, IMO), the rest may as well be stripped-down. And I love Bono's Spanish guitar lead.

I think what the haters have to remember is that this is more than likely a very stripped down sketch of EBW. You can tell it wasnt perfect when they were playing, off beat a little bit, and Bono almost missed where he was so supposed to begin and they didnt end properly so there must be other things that go on in the recorded version. Still, I think it blows the other "new" songs out of the water.

I don't consider myself a "hater", since the only thing about the song that I actively dislike are the lyrics in the chorus. I'm just MEH on it until I hear a release version.

There is middle ground, you know.

well, i don't disagree that they should try to play north star and every breaking wave with the full band and like it's supposed to sound. given how much work they put into their live production though to keep things as perfect and tidy as they do, i'm not surprised that they aren't doing it with all the bells and whistles and supposed electronic influence.

I don't know, you'd think that it would be easier to mask those little mistakes if they had one of their backing tracks playing behind the band. And you know, there's that thing called "rehearsal".

EBW does sound very good (the melody) but you never know until there's a studio version. I do think it's the most promising track of the new ones.

I like a lot of the lyrics, but all I know is that is one of the most beautiful melodies I have ever heard. Cannot wait to hear the full version. Absolutely gorgeous.

I like a lot of the lyrics, but all I know is that is one of the most beautiful melodies I have ever heard. Cannot wait to hear the full version. Absolutely gorgeous.

I can't get this song out of my head and keep thinking of the lyrics in my head. Can't wait to hear the finished version!!!

Going back to that u2.com video clip of larry walking along the doc to play his drums...does that loop match up with this? I dont remember.

I actually love the lyric. It seems to be a desperate plea from someone in a bad way struggling with their need of someone to talk to, but not being willing to accept help. I like it a lot.

I actually love the lyric. It seems to be a desperate plea from someone in a bad way struggling with their need of someone to talk to, but not being willing to accept help. I like it a lot.

Agreed. I don't mind the lyric in context, but I don't really care for the melody of that refrain, particularly on the 'Hey, hey now' part, especially by comparison to the rest of the beautiful song.

Agreed. I don't mind the lyric in context, but I don't really care for the melody of that refrain, particularly on the 'Hey, hey now' part, especially by comparison to the rest of the beautiful song.

I agree. I still LOVE the song, but the "Hey, hey now" felt to me like clumsy U2 stepping on delicate U2's feet.

I wouldn't be surprised if something interesting instrumentally is going on during that portion of the whole band version; surely the band can hear the way it breaks up some of the song's momentum. After all, that old RS called this something like electro soul-pop, so the song could sound awfully different on the record.
:hmm:

Going back to that u2.com video clip of larry walking along the doc to play his drums...does that loop match up with this? I dont remember.

I know what you're talking about... and i don't think so... I really hope i'm wrong though and its used as some instrumental piece or maybe just in the beginning... because that Mariachi beat or whatever is really the most unique thing i've heard from U2.

For some reason when I read of a more electronic EBW, the beat I hear in my head is the backbeat from the Scissor Sister's song, "It Can't Come Quickly Enough" :crack:

:drool: :drool: :drool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom