MERGED --> U2 to quit Island Records +U2 on the move (to Mercury)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

victor_f

Refugee
U2 on the move (to Mercury)

atu2

U2 on the move
October 7, 2006

U2 are leaving Island Records after 27 years and are signing up with rivals Mercury, according to reports.

The BBC claims the Irish band have decided to end their long-standing relationship with Island and are set to release their Greatest Hits LP through Mercury Records on November 20.

No comment has been made from the band or from either record label, but it is thought U2 are keen to continue working with Jason Iley, who switched from Island to Mercury to become their President earlier this year.

He and his team, including A&R manager Richard O'Donovan, jumped ship in May and this is thought to have motivated U2's decision.

Meanwhile, the band members have revealed the songs they wish they had written in the new issue of Q Magazine.

Larry Mullen Jr opted for 'Block Rockin' Beats' by The Chemical Brothers, Adam Clayton picked 'Back to Life' by Soul II Soul and The Edge chose 'Wonderwall' by Oasis.

Bono listed a number of tracks, including 'Brownsville Girl' by Bob Dylan and Sam Shepard; 'Unfinished Sympathy' by Massive Attack; 'Live Forever' by Oasis; 'The Last Song I'll Ever Sing' by Gavin Friday; 'Lucky Man' by The Verve; and 'Almighty Love' by Emm Gryner.

Maybe as a "gift" to O'Donovan, U2 decided to release this superfluous "Best Of" to help support Mercury.

I have a better idea - release a new album faster than every 4 years. Then have more than one big hit song in the U.S. from said album. That'll be a nice way to support the label.

I thought the last 3 (ATYCLB, 90-00, HTDAAB) were not with Island? Is Interscope associated with Island?

doctorwho said:
I have a better idea - release a new album faster than every 4 years. Then have more than one big hit song in the U.S. from said album. That'll be a nice way to support the label.

:applaud:

Gee, who would've thought that releasing this third GH album so soon was simply to get out of the contract? :happy:

:macdevil:

Clawgrabber said:
interscope bought island in 2000 when vivendi universal merged and ate up like 12 different record labels.

yeah.

Mercury is probably inside Interscope's huge belly right now.

sarlacc.jpg

:hmm: So is this Best of not released with Island, but Mercury - not a part of the 3 Best of contract?

Question: U2 went to Interscope in between Pop and ATYCLB, yet both ATYCLB and Bomb album CD covers still say "Island" on the side when I bought them. How come?

Last edited:
Well, just goes to show that U2 are maintaining their loyalty to those who used to be at Island Records by starting them off with a multi-million dollar release. Upon further digging, it doesn't appear that Island Records had the rights to put out a 3rd best of album after 1999 since they re-negotiated the contract that year. However, they did apparently have the rights to put together a combined best of album, which is what most of us thought this was. Now it appears that U2 managed to get out of that particular clause in the contract (who knows what the terms were, so maybe they didn't have to do too much)....

Wow, this is facinating news. Can't wait to see what this changes, if anything at all.

U2 to split from Island Records

According to the New Zealand Herald...

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/category/story.cfm?c_id=100&ObjectID=10404895

U2 to split from Island Records

9.30am Sunday October 8, 2006
By Anthony Barnes

After 26 years and global sales of around 150 million albums, U2, arguably the world's biggest band, have quit the record label that discovered them.

Insiders claimed yesterday that the band's members, led by Bono, became fed up with the Island Records' senior management's "hands-off" approach towards them, despite their having generated hundreds of millions of pounds for the label.

Friends said yesterday that the final straw came during a recent recording session in London.

While Bono and the band worked on new tracks to add to their latest "Best of" compilation, no one from Island Records dropped by to meet them.

One observer claimed this "put their noses out of joint" and did nothing to help the deteriorating relationship.

Their closest ally at the label, the former general manager Jason Iley, was appointed managing director of Mercury Records last year, and the band have now followed him there.

U2 have frequently said they owe their career to Island and that its founding boss, Chris Blackwell, was instrumental to their career.

No other label had shown any interest in giving them a deal when the band were signed in 1980.

Despite leaving Island, the band will remain within the Universal Music Group.

The first release on the new label will be a charity single next month.

so that could explain the next "Best Of". it must have been the last of their contractual obligations.

I read this on atu2... here's a direct link to the article...
http://enjoyment.independent.co.uk/music/news/article1819660.ece

After 26 years and global sales of around 150 million albums, U2, arguably the world's biggest band, have quit the record label that discovered them.

Insiders claimed yesterday that the band's members, led by Bono, became fed up with the Island Records' senior management's "hands-off" approach towards them, despite their having generated hundreds of millions of pounds for the label.

Friends said yesterday that the final straw came during a recent recording session in London. While Bono and the band worked on new tracks to add to their latest "Best of" compilation, no one from Island Records dropped by to meet them. One observer claimed this "put their noses out of joint" and did nothing to help the deteriorating relationship. Their closest ally at the label, the former general manager Jason Iley, was appointed managing director of Mercury Records last year, and the band have now followed him there.

U2 have frequently said they owe their career to Island and that its founding boss, Chris Blackwell, was instrumental to their career. No other label had shown any interest in giving them a deal when the band were signed in 1980.

Despite leaving Island, the band will remain within the Universal Music Group. The first release on the new label will be a charity single next month.

(c) The Independent, 2006.

Last edited:
mikal said:
so that could explain the next "Best Of". it must have been the last of their contractual obligations.

The new Best Of will be released by Mercury, their new label.

I had no idea people in Island were such like some m......fuckers , and liked to shot in the foot

I mean C'mon , It's u2 ..... This is just like Barcelona not givin much of Ronaldinho , not quite like coz Barca was big enough before , but Island WTF was it before these irish ?

After all why I'm so ........ they are bloody businessmen after all

AussieU2fanman said:
Does this mean U2 will start making good music again? :hyper:

Last time it happened was in 96-97 right ? :hyper:

or more like 2002-3 ............

:hmm:

J_NP said:

Last time it happened was in 96-97 right ? :hyper:

or more like 2002-3 ............

:hmm:

More like never. :mad:

I'm just here for LemonMacPhisto's hilarious pictures. :wink:

U2girl said:
Question: U2 went to Interscope in between Pop and ATYCLB, yet both ATYCLB and Bomb album CD covers still say "Island" on the side when I bought them. How come?
are you sure? mine say "interscope" at the bottom. the rainbow island icon is no longer at the top...

Back
Top Bottom